Profile for Gibbo > Reviews

Content by Gibbo

Gibbo

The Utterly Ultimate "My Word!" Collection (A Methuen humour classic)
The Utterly Ultimate "My Word!" Collection (A Methuen humour classic)
by Frank Muir

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 4 July 2013
I remember this from my childhood - and it's just as witty as I remembered! Pleased with my purchase, recommend :-)

Undercover Curry: An Insider's Expose of British Indian Restaurant Cookery
Undercover Curry: An Insider's Expose of British Indian Restaurant Cookery
by Dave Loyden

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it!, 23 April 2011
I have never written a review of anything before but I couldnt let this pass. I moved to New Zealand around 7 years ago and to say I miss my curry is an understatement. Curry is not a food but an addiction and I got hooked many many years ago. I have missed my fix and have tried almost every kind of book and trick I could. The taste is important for me but so so so much more is the texture.
This is SPOT on !!!! If you want a curry that tastes and feels like its out of a small London curry house with red flock wallpaper and old Indian music - well this is it.
I cant explain the emotion I felt when I had the first mouthful. The tip of the way the chicken is cooked, the ingredients in the gravy (who would have thought) and the spices just hit the mark. Yep it takes a while to make a batch. I did the small quantity and it gave me enough for 4 people, but rest assured I will be buying a huge pot. Once you have made the gravy and frozen it the actual curry making takes very little time. The result is so so so so worth the effort.
This is a book for poms who are away from home. If you we are at home you would just walk down the road and have a few beers and a curry but its not that easy when its twenty four hours on a plane.
Like I say - I have tried everything and got close but I realised how far away I was when I tasted this.
If you read this then it means you have searched for a decent british curry recipe book. Dont bother buying anything else.....this really is it. I have spent many years (and lots of pounds and dollars)doing the research for you
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 2:48 PM BST