Profile for MaggieBob > Reviews

Content by MaggieBob

MaggieBob

One Hundred Proposals
One Hundred Proposals

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is for anyone who has ever fallen in love with their best friend..., 7 July 2014
I loved this book! That’s all the review you need, right? You can go and buy it now. What, you want a proper review? Alright then…
I’m a long term fan of Holly Martin, having devoured The Guestbook when it was released earlier this year, so I was very excited to get my grubby mitts on One Hundred Proposals. I intended to savour it like a lovely slab of dark chocolate – nibble by nibble until my appetite was sated. Instead I gobbled the whole thing in one day! But that’s okay, it means I got to have second helpings (yup, I’ve already re-read it).

This book is for anyone who has ever fallen in love with their best friend. It is for anyone who dreams of romance, the perfect proposal, or traveling the world. It’s for anyone who loves a story they can weep at, laugh along with and get frustrated at all at the same time.

Suzie doesn’t know what to say when Harry first proposes to her – not because she doesn’t want to say ‘yes’, but because they are friends and he couldn’t possibly mean it… could he? What follows is 100 days of round the world adventure as Suzie and Harry grapple with their feelings for each other. The burning desire to see if they work it out before the 100th proposal (or at times, even if they make it all the way to 100) is what kept me turning page after page.

This is definitely a book I'll be recommending to all my friends.

The Guestbook
The Guestbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of wonderful, well realised characters - laugh out loud, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Guestbook (Kindle Edition)
Books are like people – if they make me laugh, I’ll want to be their buddy for life. And Holly Martin’s book had me laughing out loud within a few pages. In a coffee shop. Seriously! People were giving me funny looks as I giggled over my latte.
The Guestbook is written exactly as that – a series of entries from the various guests and visitors to Willow Cottage. There’s everyone from newlywed couples to illicit lovers, happy families and hen parties, fussy old dears and even one very paranoid woman. All leaving their thoughts and comments in the guestbook for landlady Annie Butterworth – and Annie leaves notes back for them.
I adored Annie as a character. She is exactly the type of person you would want as your holiday cottage landlady. Funny, friendly and free with her offers of food (and sometimes potently strong cider!). And it is the slowly blossoming relationship between widow Annie and her brother-in-law (and famous author) Olly Black that really pulls the story along. But honestly the whole thing is a delight and the assorted cast of guests is so well imagined and fully realised that I quickly got over my initial snobbery of “people wouldn’t write like that in a guestbook!”, because I really believed these people would write that in a guestbook.
There’s nothing else I can say except go and read it now.

[Upgraded Version]VicTsing Waterproof Portable Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Mini Speaker 3W Shower Pool Car Handsfree with Microphone for Apple iPhone 4 4S 5 5S 5C 6 iPhone 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 iPad iPod MP3 MP4 Tablet PC - Yellow
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a waterproof radio, does what it says on the tin, 20 Mar. 2014
Does what it claims to and for a very good price! I found it easy to set up, easy to use and have had no performance issues at all.

The Company Of Ghosts
The Company Of Ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique concept for a detective paranormal thriller, 20 Mar. 2014
I was sent a preview copy of this book by the publisher, in return for an honest review (full version of the review posted on my blog [...]

Set in the 1950s, in a reality where murders are no longer solved by detectives piecing together evidence, but rather by resurrectionists who conduct a seance and simply have the victims tell who killed them, The Company of Ghosts is a unique concept which drew me in very quickly.

The story follows an odd-couple style coupling of Scotland Yard detective George Grimchard - bright, enthusiastic and moral - and Arthur Lyle from The Department of Irregular Souls, a lazy and indulgent detective who would rather keep his head down and be paid well than cause a fuss. When they uncover some long buried secrets about The Department, they follow a trail that could lead to its destruction... or theirs.

What I really liked about this book was the concept - the fact that humans have the knowledge and ability to raise the spirits of the dear, and the exploration of what we would do with that power. Some people want to use the power to help people, but others want to take it further, and it's this side of human nature which is explored so well in this story.

Another great thing in The Company of Ghosts is the exploration of popular culture in this adjusted reality. How might Shakespeare, Peter Pan and even Sherlock Holmes differ in a world where ghosts exist and the afterlife is not a mystery?

Overall I enjoyed this story, and it really got me thinking. A good detective/paranormal thriller.

How to Live on £10 a Week: Take the Tenner Week Challenge
How to Live on £10 a Week: Take the Tenner Week Challenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand holding, sound advice for money saving, 8 Oct. 2013
Having followed Penny's blog for a while and already taking part in a tenner week, I was pleased with how much this book had to offer. It really brought together the key ideas behind the challenge, as well as plenty of general thrifty advice on how to get the most out of every penny.

The introduction and first chapter outline what the challenge is and how it came about, as well as laying down the basic rules for playing along. This is followed by a chapter on bonus points, which is my favourite as it discusses all the extra things you might try and do for tenner week to stop it being 7 nights sat on the sofa watching crappy TV. This is the real gem of this book and the challenge - it's not just about improving your finances, but also your quality of life.

The next section is called How to Eat Well on £10 a Week and covers how to stretch your budget to feed yourself for the week (without resorting to beans on toast 4 nights in a row). As on her blog, Penny puts the emphasis on healthy budget eating - so plenty of fruit and vegetables and plenty of information on how to get a balanced diet, including a `real world food shop' with your £10 budget. There's also some very sound advice that I'll be using for the next tenner week on menu planning to get the best out of what's in your cupboard/freezer. I know this is a big flaw of mine as I've a habit of deciding on the way home from work what to cook for dinner and buying what I need as/when I need it.

The final chapter, on Troubleshooting is going to be a big help to anyone who has tried and struggled with the challenge before. It can lead to quite a lot of introspection as you examine your relationship with your finances. How to Live on £10 a Week proves the perfect companion to this - a reassuring hand-holding through the challenge.

** Disclaimer: I was sent a review copy of this book. A longer version of this review appears on my blog here - [...] **

Tiger Tiger
Tiger Tiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable reading - Shopaholic meets Bridget Jones, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Tiger Tiger (Kindle Edition)
A great book - easy to read and lots of fun. Characters you wanted to root for, and I'm a sucker for any book set in an area I know (this case, North London).

Rebecca and her exploits take you through a whole whirlwind year in her life. In a style that sits somewhere between Bridget Jones and Shopaholic, Rebecca tries to be a good, responsible and successful adult, fails, then picks herself up (with the help of her friends) and tries again.

Perfect holiday reading - recommend you download a copy too!