Profile for Mel > Reviews

Pandora's Box
by Giselle Green
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Pandora's Box (Paperback)
Having read Giselle Green's other two fantastic books my hopes were set high for Pandora's Box, and it certainly lived up to, or even exceeded my expectations! It gripped me, taking me right into the story, and for about the last 20 pages is absolutely impossible to put down! It was particularly interesting exploring different views with regard to euthanasia and aiding a terminally ill loved one to die.
I would strongly recommend Pandora's Box, along with Giselle Green's two other novels 'A Sister's Gift' and 'Little Miracles'.

Collins Easy Learning Italian Dictionary (Collins Easy Learning Italian) (Collins Easy Learning Dictionaries)
by unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars a good little dictionary, 29 April 2011
I've found my Collins easy learning Italian Dictionary to be very useful - it's small enough to carry around, yet big enough to hold a lot of words. If you're looking to study the language past GCSE standard this dictionary isn't big enough, but up to that it serves it's purpose.

Magic Eye Gallery: A Showing of 88 Images (N E Thing Enterprises)
Magic Eye Gallery: A Showing of 88 Images (N E Thing Enterprises)
by Magic Eye Inc
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and magical, 29 April 2011
I am a big fan of magic eye books - they are both fascinating and very entertaining. This book can provide hours of joy (or frustration!), and learning the art of seeing the pictures is a project that I believe anyone can achieve the results with if enough perseverance is endured. It makes a great gift!

If This Is a Man / The Truce
If This Is a Man / The Truce
by Primo Levi
Price: 8.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A very moving read, 29 April 2011
I bought this book on the spur of the moment when decideding I'd like to learn more about WWII, as from first hand experiences seemed like an ideal way to do so. I very much enjoyed the first half of it (If this is a man), found it extremely horrifying and horrific, though I believe that is it important to know what really went on in concentration camps. The second half however hasn't proved as interesting, and I eventually postponed finishing it as there's a lot of detail about what Levi then got up to after escaping from the camp, which doesn't interest me a lot. I would still recommend reading at least the first half to get a real insight into the hardships and inhumanity that occurred.

Hammer's German Grammar and Usage, 4Ed
Hammer's German Grammar and Usage, 4Ed
by Martin Durrell

5.0 out of 5 stars German Grammar explained!, 29 April 2011
This German grammar book was strongly recommended to me at university by a German lecturer and I wouldn't look back. German grammar is extremely complicated and this book explains concepts clearly, making them manageable to understand. I would recommend it to both beginners and more advanced German students.

Little Miracles
Little Miracles
by Giselle Green
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
Having read Giselle Green's book 'A Sister's Gift' and loved it I was excited to read 'Little Miracles'. It certainly didn't disappoint! The story is extremely engaging and moving, giving a real insight into the life of parents unlucky enough to have their child disappear. The novel is written in the first person but switching between the two main characters - the parents - we explore all of both of their emotions. I would strongly recommend it!

Die Ermittlung
Die Ermittlung
by Peter Weiss
Price: 6.18

5.0 out of 5 stars a moving read, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Die Ermittlung (Paperback)
This book is set some time after the second world war and the whole story is accounts of court cases, where witnesses are giving their accounts of the unthinkable happenings in Auschwitz and accusers are questioning. It's a very gripping and and extremely moving and I would recommend it to anyone interested in WWII who understands German.

La casa sulla scogliera
La casa sulla scogliera
by Cinzia Medaglia
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars educational read, 29 April 2011
La casa sulla scogliera is a short and simple novel in Italian written especially for those learning Italian. It's a good book considering how hard it is to get a decent storyline into so few words, and I would recommend it to any beginning to learn Italian.

A Sister's Gift
A Sister's Gift
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 20 April 2011
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
A Sister's Gift is a truly wonderful book - written beautifully with a gripping and moving storyline it had me riveted from start to finish. One of the best books I've ever read. To anyone who enjoyed it I would also recommend Giselle Green's other two fictional novels 'Little Miracles' and 'Pandora's Box.'