Profile for the Knight > Reviews

The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 2 [1999] [DVD]
The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 2 [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini

3.0 out of 5 stars What's all the fuss about?, 5 Nov 2007
My wife and I are half way through the second series of 'The Sopranos'. We both really enjoyed series one, but have already become a bit bored with series two, since it doesn't seem to take things a great deal further than series one did, and we both agree that we probably will not bother getting further series, even if someone lends them to us - luckily we borrowed series two. I have given this DVD three stars since the acting is good and the stories are okay. I've watched series one of 'The Wire' and 'Oz' and series one and two of 'Deadwood' and 'Rome' and think that all four of these HBO series are better than 'The Sopranos'. For far better on-screen Mafia antics than 'The Sopranos' has to offer, I would recommend the first two 'Godfather' films, 'Goodfellas', 'Casino' and 'Once Upon a Time in America'. As for the disfunctional family thing that is apparently a selling point of 'The Sopranos', surely there are umpteen number of soap operas that do the same thing.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2011 3:31 PM BST

The Bounty [DVD] [1984]
The Bounty [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by WorldCinema

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible quality DVD, 2 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Bounty [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
I'm giving one star to the DVD, not the movie, which I would probably give four or five stars to if it were on a decent quality DVD.

Kingdom of Heaven [DVD] [2005]
Kingdom of Heaven [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Orlando Bloom
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars weak, 11 Jun 2007
I agree with opinion expressed in the previous review, i.e. 'rubbish'. I did not like this film at all. It was like a morality tale for kids with action sequences for adults. The characters, with the exception of Saladin, were card board cut outs.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 5:51 PM GMT

A Bittersweet Life [2005] [DVD]
A Bittersweet Life [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hwang Jeong-min
Offered by WorldCinema

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish to a degree, but..., 10 Jun 2007
It seems that Korean directors, even good ones, feel under pressure / are under pressure to make films that will appeal to the lowest common denominator, i.e an immature audience that needs to see lots of preposterously unrealistic action sequences - karate kicks left, right and center, guns wielded by an action hero who has already been stabbed in the gut godknows how many times as well as shot godknows how many times going off and taking down the opposition all over the place. Without the totally daft and immature action sequences, this wouldn't have been such a bad film.

Kingdom of Heaven (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]

Bad Guy [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Jae-hyeon Jo
Offered by rsdvd

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, unbelievable and depressing, 23 May 2007
This review is from: Bad Guy [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I found it very hard to stay awake while watching this film, since it is so boring. It's also depressing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - some of my favourite films are depressing - but it is also totally unbelievable. I gave the film two stars since the cinematography is quite good.

Love, Honour And Obey [DVD] [2000]
Love, Honour And Obey [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Sadie Frost
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars a good laugh and good performances, 6 Nov 2006
Funny. The first time I saw this film, on DVD, a couple of years ago, I hated it. I gave it another try recently, again on DVD, and loved it. The performances are good and it made me laugh out aloud several times while watching it and afterwards.

Repulsion [DVD] [1965] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Repulsion [DVD] [1965] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Catherine Deneuve
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars grew on me, 6 Nov 2006
After watching this film the first time a year or so ago, I gave it only three stars because I wasn't all that impressed and it looked pretty awful on my LCD TV. The film improves, I think, on watching it again, and it looks a lot better on the DLP projector I now have. My reasons for liking the film are probably much the same as other reviewers'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5