Profile for Carol > Reviews

Content by Carol

Carol

Richard III (The Yale English Monarchs Series)
Richard III (The Yale English Monarchs Series)
by Charles Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Too academic, 15 Jan. 2013
I enjoy reading history but, I guess, on the whole popular history. Richard III is a monarch in whom I have long been interested.
I bought this particular book on the book of good reviews on the Amazon website and I have no doubt than on its own terms it is good. Its own terms, though, seemed to me to be drily academic and I think that when treading history for pleasure, I need something more..

Children's Christmas - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher
Children's Christmas - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissful convenience, 15 Jan. 2013
When you know that what someone wants is the freedom to make their own choice, this is a wonderfully convenient way to do it. To sit at a computer and within seconds to have your gift token printed is brilliant. In my case the recipients - who weren't children by the way - will have wanted to buy books and Music DVDs and there is the knowledge that the choice at Amazon is broader than individual shops will be able to offer. A great alternative to traipsing around a crowded high street.

The Emperor of All Maladies
The Emperor of All Maladies
by Siddhartha Mukherjee

5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the facts, 15 April 2011
I read this book as a result of reading a newspaper review. The review was glowing and the book lived up to its promise. It's stylistically beautifully written and certainly enlightening. On the one hand it describes all those people who have laboured patiently over the years to deal with cancer and on the other makes clear how the hubris of too many within the medical profession as well as political interests have held back progress. The description of the unravelling complexity of cancer was compelling so that, even as a non-scientist I felt impelled to make every effort to understand the last section of the book dealing with the genetic and biochemical aspects of cancer.
Like many my life has been touched by cancer, my husband having recently died and, although the book is very careful not to give false hope and deals with the false hopes that have been raised in the past, the effect of the book on this aspect of my life was a positive one. To begin to know what cancer means and entails is better than to live with obfuscations and false hopes. The author makes clear however there are very real hopes, in particular the hope that for people with many of the more intractable cancers, it may be possible, by knowing the make up of each individual cancer better, to devise drugs that will significantly prolong life but without the problems of toxicity that come with current chemotherapy drugs. At various points the book is described as humane and kind, and so it is.
I enjoyed too the quotations that headed up the chapters and the sections of the books which were apposite, often amusing, and drawn from a very wide range of sources.