Profile for Peter Frans > Reviews

Lullabies
Lullabies
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep tenderness, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Lullabies (Audio CD)
A week after purchasing this album, I bought it as a gift for someone, who plays it all the time now. I also keep telling friends and family about how wonderful this album is.
It's a real gem. And I hope that Catrin Finch releases more collections in this style. Her angelic tones are wrapped in the most subtle and tender arrangements. None of it is ever syrupy or pretentious. This is music beyond classification, that delights the soul. And I'm extremely happy that lesser known compositions were included, like the incredible "Little Cloud" and "The Dove". Thank you for this amazing recording.

Through The Night
Through The Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing Ren, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Through The Night (Audio CD)
Ren has a truly mesmerizing voice. My favorite track is "Love is like a melody".
This magnificent song showcases her ethereal tremelo and velvety lower register, which are simply out of this world.
Unlike other reviewers I rather appreciate the unabashed lushness of the production of this album. But I don't doubt that the singer and her songs also shine with a more simple accompaniment.

Is There Nothing We Could Do?
Is There Nothing We Could Do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle Soothing Beauty, 8 Oct. 2012
I'm so surprised by this album. I always appreciated BDB's music and I always loved 1 or 2 tracks on each album. But this one is a gentle gem from start to finish. It's simply one of the best new albums by any artist that I've heard in a long time. This man is gifted in so many areas: he writes glorious melodies, arranges them with great subtlety and insight... and has a voice that is both melancholy and soothing. Thank you.

The Singing Detective
The Singing Detective

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameful, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
As others have pointed out, 2 years ago someone at BBC records apparently decided to alter the soundtrack:
leaving out 4 essential songs that were a part of the original soundtrack, including the theme tune (!!!!!!!!!),
adding 5 songs that have no link whatsoever with the series, and replacing a number of the authentic versions with more recent recordings.
So, avoid this one and try to find an older print.

Maigret Theme & Other..
Maigret Theme & Other..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Maigret Theme & Other.. (Audio CD)
Just a quick word: don't be misled by the previous reviewer. The sound is excellent, crystal clear. Of course these are the original recordings from the sixties. The CD as a whole is charming and captures Ron Grainer's knack for writing catchy yet slightly unusual melodies. I would love a sequel with the rest of his work (e.g. Tales of the Unexpected). Thank you, Vocalion.

Marvin Gaye - the Real Thing: in Performance 1964-1981 [+CD] [DVD] [2006]
Marvin Gaye - the Real Thing: in Performance 1964-1981 [+CD] [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Marvin Gaye

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing for any fan, 29 April 2009
What a fabulous idea to add the a-cappella versions... As another reviewer said, this release is clearly a labour of love.

In A Bad Mood
In A Bad Mood
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Melancholy Masterpiece, 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: In A Bad Mood (Audio CD)
I am so happy to have discovered this melancholy masterpiece!!
It will become one of the essential records in my collection.
To compare is to destroy... so I won't get into that game.
But Geraint Watkins truly is a musical master with a huge heart.
My favorite track is "Champion".

Identity Crisis
Identity Crisis
Offered by LEWKS1973

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 15 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Identity Crisis (Audio CD)
This is an album that I'll cherish for the rest of my life. I thought I'd never hear this kind of music again. It's intimate, serene and ... the melodies are heartbreakingly beautiful, the sound is warm, simple and acoustic and Shelby has the voice of an angel.
It's a very homogeneous yet eclectic and never repetitive collection of songs. For some reason it reminds me of Paul Simon's "There goes Rhymin' Simon" - perhaps it's that mixture of nostalgia and timeless, down to earth songwriting on the one hand, and a very soft and subtle instrumentation on the other.
"One with the sun" may be the best new song I've heard in a decade. This is not the kind of music that record companies pay attention to, but you should.

Call Off the Search
Call Off the Search
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 15 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
What a gorgeous, honest voice and such a superb collection of songs. The ones that were written by Katie prove that she also has a promising future as a songwriter. Most of the album was composed by producer/ arranger Mike Batt. And although he's penned many a classic, this must be his best, most inspired work to date. "Faraway voice", "Closest thing to crazy", "Penguins and Cats" and "Tiger in the night" are my personal favourites. This timeless album is a real treat for aficionados of emotional melodies, subtle lyrics, acoustic instruments and real singing. This is not the kind of music that record companies tend to believe in, but you should.