Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Listen with Prime Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for se01dct > Reviews

Content by se01dct

se01dct

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle-doubter converted, 19 July 2011
When the new Kindle came out I was sceptical - Why would I need my books in that format? Surely it is just a complete waste of money? That was until a friend brought one over and explained the advantages. I'm not talking about the ink display or long battery life, as a book doesn't need these, but the free/reduced price books and the volume of books that you can store on the Kindle. This was emphasised by the fact that the book I was reading at the time was 1,250 pages long and weighed a ton!

I was given the Kindle as a present shortly after and I am more than impressed with the storage capacity, size, readability and battery life (on a two week holiday I read 3 books on it and the battery was still half full). Most of the books I have wanted to download are available, and I have started discovering new authors through the free ebooks, as well as classics that I had never read. As someone who loves to read, the Kindle just makes it easier, whether you're waiting in the doctor's surgery, staying the night with friends or on the train to work. I can't think of a bad thing to say about it...

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy one before?, 25 May 2011
Before the D3100 I was a DSLR virgin, and this review is aimed at people who, like me 4 months ago, are sceptical about spending so much on a camera.

First the positives - I have found the D3100 easy to use and yet the photos it produces are far better than those I was able to take with my compact camera (my photos look like they were taken by a professional!). Where it really outperforms my compact is indoors. I have used my D3100 at home, restaurants and in a church without needing to use a flash and the results are amazing. This is particularly important for me, as I take alot of photos of my 8 month old son (I didn't buy the DSLR until he was 3 months old, and I really regret it, as the compact camera photos look rubbish in comparison!). We even took a photo of him sleeping in a dark room and were amazed by the amount of light the camera 'found.'

Now the negatives - It is more expensive than a compact camera. I still think it is worth it, but it is alot of money. It is also not as portable as a compact camera, which means that it is not ideal for parties, skiing, etc. We have kept our compact camera for those sorts of things (although we did take the DSLR up skiing for a 'photo day').

This is my first DSLR and before I bought it I had seen many of my friends buying them and thought, "What a waste of money." Having decided to see what the fuss is all about, I'm so glad I did, and I can't believe I put it off for so long. If you don't own a DSLR and are looking for a simple, good quality, entry level DSLR then I would recommend the D3100 (as a beginner myself). If you aren't sure if it is worth it - it is, it really REALLY is.

Lowepro Toploader Zoom 45 AW - Black
Lowepro Toploader Zoom 45 AW - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A good compact case for an SLR, 21 Mar. 2011
I bought this SLR case for my Nikon D3100 (with 18-55 VR lens). It all fits in without any problems and is about as compact as you could hope to make an SLR inside a protective case. There is enough space in the 2 pockets for spare battery, memory card and USB cable, although I can't fit the charger in as well. It has also survived being dropped from about shoulder height (by my wife) with no damage to the SLR. All in all, very pleased with the case - the only thing that could be improved, is that the SLR is a bit loose in the case, but that is probably to be expected from a "one size fits all" case.