Profile for Mr. Joseph Inglis > Reviews

Content by Mr. Joseph Inglis

Mr. Joseph Inglis (scotland)

HP CM750A OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Web)
HP CM750A OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Web)
Price: 183.52

5.0 out of 5 stars 8600 quick review, 8 Oct 2013
Hi,
I have been using an older model of these printers offshore for the past 12 months. I have been extremely impressed with the swiss army knife versatility of the product. So much so that i decided to buy the most recent revision for home. Out went the last in a long series of nasty epson cheap vertical feed paper jamming printer only units. I spent a bit of time setting the printer up today and networked the laptops and desktops in the house to the printer. Easy to do, if all your laptops etc are netted thru your online router then its just a case of putting the software disc into each laptop in the house and installing the software then choose the printer at the end of software install. Prints very fast and is a mega leap forward for me at home. Not going to get anal about speeds compared to etc, its just a great bit of kit!

Edit 10/11/2013
We have had a few weeks use out of the printer and as we have a few BTL properties, two late teeenage children and my own business paperwork the printer has been seeing a lot of action. Absolutely fantastic, prints a 12 page lease in the time it took my old epson printer to realise something was being asked of it (50/50 chance of it jamming at that point). I really can't emphasis the freedom of being able to print docs from a coffee table laptop during a kicked back morning meeting with my wife. Don't talk to me about the freedom of photocopying in my own house without having to scan in 1st and then print! Seriously, this machine saves me time and grief and does exactly what i need it to do with no fuss. Hell, i'd employ it if i could. +++++++++++++ :)

Hide Me Among the Graves
Hide Me Among the Graves
by Tim Powers

2.0 out of 5 stars What a letdown :(, 12 Oct 2012
Let me start by saying that i really enjoy Tim Powers works. Read them all, even bought the bible repairman and strange itineraries. Must admit that 'Stress of her regard' was not my favourite and there was a 10 year gap between my first reading it and then actually enjoying it at a later date. Hide me among the graves (its kind of sequel) never really seems to get going and to be perfectly honest i was bored reading it. I kept waiting for it to catch or hook me. It never did. You know how Anubis gates, drawing of the dark, Epitath in Rust, skies dicrowned etc all rock utterly and have more energy, humour, and general rollickingness (Don't get me started on Stranger tides & the wonder of Thomas Edisons Ghost)than can be shaken at with a large stick? Well sadly this doesn't and its a damn shame. Optimism is high for his next novel and with luck i'll get more out of this on a return read in a few years.

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bulbs!, 12 Oct 2012
Hi,

I have approx 40 GU10 50W 240V Osram & Sylvan bulbs around my house. My wife and teenage kids seem to enjoy heating the house via the bulbs. That's the only reason i can think of why i would be traipsing around turning lights off after them! Anyway, i already have a few LED cold white (light blue to you and me) bulbs in one of the bathrooms. They are fine but are a stepdown in brightness compared to the bulbs(GU10 50W) that they replaced. I have fitted 6 of these long life LED units in my kitchen and can say that the light emitted is at a higher level than the 6 of GU10 50 Watt Osram bulbs that they have replaced. The light that they throw is also slightly starker than the old bulbs. Best way to describe this is that GU10 50 watts throw a quite flattering and mellow slightly yellow light. These LED bulbs throw a slightly brighter sharper and whiter light. I will buy more of these and will repace my GU10's as i go. It is strange to be able to put my hand up against a light unit after it has been on for 5 minutes(never mind 10 seconds) and feel no heat!

Talking of which, i have also purchased and fitted a set of Radflek radiator reflectors. No kidding, these work and i wish i had fitted them years ago. My rooms (in fact the whole 12 room house,) is getting up to temperature a lot faster and the radiator thermostats are kicking in and turning the radiators off. Just shows that there is a huge amount of output from the radiators bleeding into the walls. I make no money from this just, passing on what i found to be an ace no brainer easy fit product for energy saving for cash & CO2.

[...]

If you are willing to go that far why don't you make your own beer as well? Don't ask me why but i'm just not that into giving my money to big corporations! Cheers :)

[...]

Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Offered by 666 Media
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow! :), 16 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We (Wife, son, Daughter & I) have owned a PS3 for a few years now. Purchased primarily as a home entertainment system and cheap blu ray player. All games played to date have been superficial and uninvolving(seriously,we tried to like them but my son and I are PC gamers and they just didn't cut it for us) Happily this has all changed with RDR. It has more depth than a really really, really deep thing and some surprisingly effective moral conundrums. Love it to bits, go buy it and you too can be Clint, Yul, Charles Bronson, John Wayne. Personally i want a Yul Brynner skin, coolest cowboy ever!

Warning though, it will surprise by 'rustling' some of your life from you. So easy to sit down for a 20 minute blast and find that 2 hours(easy) have gone!

Graphics 10/10 - Brilliant, absolutely beautiful.
Sound 10/10 - The incidental background music just blows me away(it drags me in)!
Controls 10/10 - I'm a PC gamer but even i got the hang of this quickly.
Game play 10/10 - You can spend hours off the main story line and not feel its wasted time.
Life span 10/10 - Haven't tried online yet but i can see that this will be a longterm player.

Downside- I'd prefer if i could set my own style of dead eye even after 'improved' dead eye styles open up. I thought the 1st setting was the most realistic! I am trying to keep not using dead eye function and just waste em real time! Go get it cowby!

iSkin eVo3 iPod Skin for iPod Video 30GB - Black
iSkin eVo3 iPod Skin for iPod Video 30GB - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 20 Nov 2007
After much worrying that the skin would be nasty or the controls would not work properly when skin in place i can confidently sat that this is a well designed tactile little cover and its well worth having. The only thing i changed was the swift removal of the plastic clip to clip you skin/ipod to your belt. I'm a front pocket of the jeans kind of guy! Buy it its ace. My pods now coming offshore with me!

Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 20 Nov 2007
Its true about cable noise if you knock the cable but to be truthful that shouldn't happen very often anyway its no biggy. For the money these are a sensational set of phones, i am hearing stuff i didn't know was there for years and my mp3 collection is played through an x-fi and a set of Logitech Z680's so its a decent set up. Buy em they're great, just bought my daughter another set for xmas to go with her Nano!

Logitech Z680 5.1 THX certified Home Theatre Speakers with 505 watts
Logitech Z680 5.1 THX certified Home Theatre Speakers with 505 watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Z 680's.How good are they?, 23 Aug 2004
Firstly,delivery by Amazon was excelent,professional as ever.But hey you know that or you wouldn't be here.What you really want to know is if this system is worth 200 smackers,right?
I did my hook up in two stages one to see everything worked and then two was final connection.Below is a thread i have posted on 3d guru,it might help you a bit.
Firstly-Ran the system hooked up roughly for a couple of days with the original cabling and pretty impressed.
Spent today drilling holes in walls and rolling about in the loft.End result is the system is hooked up with a good quality 2.5 mm speaker cable.LF,LR,RF & RR are all high in the corners of the room.Center speaker is directly in front of my face(2 foot away).Woofer is on the floor at my feet.Control pod is beside my monitor.
When I first posted this thread I said that the wow factor was large even with a rough hook up using standard cables and placing speakers where I could.This was a basic test to ensure all components were working out of the box and I was impressed.
The surprising thing is how much better the sound is with good cables,the speakers correctly mounted/spotted and the system balanced.
I noticed an improvement in the sound during initial hook up and the speakers had been ran for a few hours.So calling that improvement a magnitude of 1 good cabling and positioning give a second magnitude.
I think there may be a third magnitude in there somewhere as I am running on analog signal using the cable supplied by Logitech.
For music I have been playing Scissor sisters,Pink Floyd and various 70's/80's dance tracks.If anyone remembers Phil Spector talking about his 'wall of sound' that's what you get with this baby.Stand in the middle of the room balance the Pod and turn it up on 6 channel direct.Hit from all sides and jitter on the spot!!
The ONLY thing I feel detracts from this system is that the Sub is too powerful.There is no way that anyone can need that much Bass.Turn it right up and it drowns everything else.But hey if the only complaint is too much bass and you can turn it down its not a problem.
Almost forgot,Doom 3 sound effects.Oh my god how good are they!! Also Thief 3 had me looking behind myself last night.Funny that the focus in games is on graphics in so many reviews.I now realise just how much I have been missing in games by using a 2 speaker set up.
Anyway that's it from me,hope this helps someone,if not feel free to slag me off and I'll treat you with the disdain you fully deserve.Go and buy one of these systems,don't hold back you'll have it for years and get excellent value for money.I'm so glad my latest upgrade was this and not memory as it was going to be.