Profile for MasterOfNinja > Reviews

Content by MasterOfNinja

MasterOfNinja

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by Shop4World

3.0 out of 5 stars Only worth buying for multiplayer; wait or rent for average singleplayer, 28 Nov 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
It's very difficult to review this game - to get a feel you must have played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3). There has been so much hype around this game, but to summarise it is a sequel to Modern Warfare 2 with a follow-on story and slightly different graphics. It plays the same, which is no bad thing as MW2 was an excellent first person shooter. The problem however is that the single player whilst wrapping up the storyline is atrocious in its length - it can be completed in less than 5 hours easily. There doesn't seem to be the same challenge as in the previous game. The good thing is that there are further "special ops" missions which can be played with a friend on the same machine which makes the game a bit more fun although again it doesn't have the same challenge as MW2's special ops missions. However compared to MW2 I feel that it just doesn't have the same length or fun on single player. This certainly isn't a bad game, and although I've rated it an average 3 stars, this is mostly for the short length of the singleplayer. MW2 set the bar so high this doesn't reach it. However it is better than Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3). Versus other FPS games this is actually a very very good game. I can't compare it to Battlefield as I haven't played it.

I can't say that much about the multiplayer as I don't have time to put in big sessions. It doesn't seem much different from MW2. However multiplayer is only for those that have time to put into it as all the bonuses come with gaining experience from playing, so its not great for new or casual players.

I would say if you are wanting this for single player only I would wait for the price to drop or to rent it. I'm only going to put a few more days into my copy and then trade it for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3) which seems it would be a longer challenge.

Oxford Handbook of Anaesthesia (Oxford Medical Handbooks)
Oxford Handbook of Anaesthesia (Oxford Medical Handbooks)
by Hannah Blanshard

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential beginners book for anaesthetic trainees, 27 Nov 2011
A short review, this book is essential bedside book for anaesthetic trainees. It won't give you the background basic sciences, but it covers all the important clinical topics that you will need on a day to day basis. The handbook itself is quite a thick book so is not as 'pocket sized' as say the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. However there is great value in this book as a basic primer, but be sure to get other books to back up all this knowledge. Also be aware there are phone versions of this book to allow you to carry it on the go. Recommended!

The Greatest Video Game Music
The Greatest Video Game Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising title but overall package is just average, 26 Nov 2011
Looking at everything in the description this CD was quite promising - a combination of video game music performed by an orchestra. I can't doubt the musical excellence here but I just feel the overall concept falls a bit flat. While this may work as a live orchestra piece, I just can't see this being something I would pop into a CD player on a whim. The music selection is up for debate, but certainly has some of the best musical pieces from video games. It is translated well into orchestra format, but I just feel there is no joy for me listening to video game music without the video game. Combined with this the premise of different video game's music has the whole CD sound a bit disjointed. Some of the selections just stand out as probably not suited to an orchestra, whereas others were more written for an orchestra originally. I can't criticise this musically, but whilst the premise was good I think in reality it just is not suited to be replayed on CD.

The Hangover Part II - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad film but if you've seen the first Hangover you've seen this, 21 Nov 2011
The Hangover Part II isn't a bad film by any means. Building on the success of the first film this is a film about another stag-do with the same cast. However the plot of the film is pretty much the same as the first one, just in a new location. The film itself isn't that bad, and it is eminently watchable, but my warning is don't get your hopes up for much new. Recommend only to people who liked the first hangover.

My Shit Life So Far
My Shit Life So Far
by Frankie Boyle

3.0 out of 5 stars It is laugh out loud only if you're not easily offended, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Paperback)
After watching a lot of Frankie Boyle material I though I'd read his book. It actually is quite laugh out loud funny at points, and is actually an autobiography of sorts, mashed in with random diversion in his story. It actually feels quite rambling at times. The book is quite offensive so I would only read it if you can stomach his brand of comedy. Why 3 stars? It is quite rambling and I don't know if I'd have read it or even finished it if I didn't like his comedy. On the plus side I read it start to finish (an achievement for me!) plus at times it was actually laugh out loud!

AirPort Express Base Station w/ AirTunes (802.11n)
AirPort Express Base Station w/ AirTunes (802.11n)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, good music streaming but a bit pricey, 2 Nov 2011
After buying the Apple Airport Express router I have to say I am quite pleased with my purchase. I bought this as a replacement for a old router, but the main aim was to get something that would be easy to set up and maintain. Looking at other router reviews this seemed to be a problem - you can get a £20 router but this probably would not suit.

The Airport Express router is a fantastic bit of kit. It is easy to set up, although it uses custom software instead of a web based interface. It easily connects to a network and the signal is fantastic. On top of this the router is small. The audio out port works with itunes well and gives good quality sound. I can't comment on the printer functionality as I have not used it.

I highly recommend this as a replacement router. It is a bit pricey but for the ease of use and set up it is excellent.

World War Z
World War Z

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel viewpoint of zombies, as well as a good futurist geopolitical exploration, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
I picked this up after hearing of the filming of World War Z in the UK. Reading this book is very interesting not really taking one single viewpoint. It makes a decision to make a book on zombies as a fictional 'report' of people's experience. The viewpoints are fairly short, but overall give you a good overall view of the story. In the book whilst the zombies are the background, the more interesting parts are the background geo-political context of the wold. I have reservations how they can make this into a movie, but the book itself is quite readable.

Griffin Elan Form with Easy Dock for iPhone 3G -Black
Griffin Elan Form with Easy Dock for iPhone 3G -Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for Apple iPhone 3G, 28 July 2011
I have to heartily recommend this case. The case is a hard shell with a leather covering. It provides excellent protection especially if you're prone to dropping phones. This is in fact my 2nd Elan Form case, the first one with the leather peeling off. The case comes with a screen wipe cloth and a plastic screen protector. For £[] I highly recommend this case.

Pacsafe Venturesafe Cross Body Pack - Black
Pacsafe Venturesafe Cross Body Pack - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure and spacious bag for touring, 26 Jun 2011
Pacsafe's products are quite niche, but very useful, in that they have a set of security travel products useful for those going to places with pickpockets etc. My first introduction to pacsafe was years ago with moneybelts with slash-proof features.

The VentureSafe 150 is a more spacious bag. It is a cross-body rucksack that can be worn face forward, or face-backward (i.e. like a normal rucksack). Face-forward allows you to see where it is at all times. It is quite spacious and carry a reasonable number of items securely at the same time (e.g. phone + wallet + digital camera + passports + guidebooks). The security part comes with the slash-proof belt and material to make the pack itself. Further features include a second compartment within the main compartment to hold back-up items (e.g.passport, credit cards). The design also has the zips of the main compartments fitted in a locking fashion so that someone cannot just open the zip, they need to unlock it which is noticeable. The bag itself has 3 zipped area accessible from the outside. It is also quite comfortable to wear.

The downside is that this is quite expensive. However for the safety features and to prevent losing money etc. in tourist areas I would mention that it is worth it. It is also lighter than a traditional rucksack, but trading off space to that.

I would highly recommend this product to security conscious tourists. It might be also worth looking at PacSafe's website to see if there are other products which can help with secure travel.

How to Land an A330 Airbus: And Other Vital Skills for the Modern Man (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read with typical James May humour (though might not have anything useful to teach), 16 Jun 2011
My review is of the audio version of the book How to Land an A330 Airbus: And Other Vital Skills for the Modern Man. It's the full version of the book read out by James May himself.

The book is quite hilarious pretending to be a to-do manual of things men should know how to do, except with esoteric subjects. In truth nobody will ever need to do any of these, but James May presents it in a light hearted but quite informative way, talking around the subjects. The only chapter I missed is one regarding eating your dead friend, but I just couldn't bring myself to listen to that, other people might find it funny.

This will appeal to James May fans, as well as people who want a quick light hearted read. It doesn't teach you useful skills. The audio version is quite pleasant to listen to on a card drive. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5