Profile for Mr. G. Woods > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Woods

Mr. G. Woods "Gregor Woods" (Sheffield)

Bad Science
Bad Science
by Ben Goldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 8 Jan 2009
This review is from: Bad Science (Paperback)
I have enjoyed Ben Goldacre's column in the Guardian for some time. I initially thought his book was going to be simply a collection of those articles; it is far more than that. What a compelling and comprehensive account he gives of the the nature of evidence-based medicine. Thank goodness there is at least someone "out there" willing, and eminently able, to identify and shame the hucsters, snake-oil salesmen and lazy journalists so wonderfully nailed in this book. It is a book to make you angry. It is a book to tell your friends about. It is a book that should be in every school library. Providing children with an understanding of how and why evidence-based medicine developed, what life was like before it did, and how to assess the health-claims made by the day-time sofa-fillers and assorted self-styled health gurus, should form part of the National Curriculum (teachers could perhaps create some space in the day by ditching Brain Gym....). Ben, thank you.

Chasing the Dragon
Chasing the Dragon
by Jackie Pullinger

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Chasing the Dragon (Paperback)
I read this book as a 16 year old and found the account of Jackie Pullinger's work in Hong Kong exhilarating and inspiring. As a 17 year old, I had the opportunity to go out to work with her, together with two friends, all three of us keen to do something "different" before starting at University. I remember seeing the small, outlying islands of Hong Kong through the aircraft window as we began our descent and wondering whether what I had read in Chasing the Dragon would prove to be exaggerated, or simply false. What I discovered was not "simply" that heroin addicts were indeed routinely coming off the physical addiction of life-long heroin abuse painlessly when they prayed, and were prayed for, by former drug addicts and helpers from around the world, but that there, in Hong Kong, through Jackie and her team, there was a work that combined the "social gospel" of outreach to the poor, sick and hopeless, with a belief and trust in the miraculous intervention of God in people's lives. The hungry were fed, the sick were cared for, families were put back together and, yes, the miraculous took place. It became not only a life-changing experience for me, but a bench mark by which I have come to evaluate other Christian ministries.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2013 9:59 PM BST