Profile for Claire > Reviews

Content by Claire

Claire (Cannock, Staffs)

Nintendo 2DS Protective Carrying Case (Nintendo 2DS)
Nintendo 2DS Protective Carrying Case (Nintendo 2DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 20 Dec 2013
Better than the official case, nice and sturdy and good value for money. But -would have been so much better if I could have chosen my own colours as they are sent at random. I needed 3 and had to take the risk of ending up with 3 the same or all pink!

Crock-Pot Sauté Countdown Slow Cooker, 5.7 Litre, Silver
Crock-Pot Sauté Countdown Slow Cooker, 5.7 Litre, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 28 Aug 2009
While I appreciate that it doesn't work well for the other reviewers in the sense that it is too hot to use for true slow cooking, I chose this model after a visit to the local electrical shop to see what the quality was like and it seemed a lot more sturdy than the other brands on offer. I didn't want one that has a glass lid as the main reason I was shopping for another slow cooker was because my last one suddenly and inexplicably shattered sending glass into my dinner! After a Google I read that it is a fairly common occurrence.

I have a vegetarian family so it will never be used to cook meat. I use mine a lot for making soups, stews and large batches of pasta sauce to freeze and it is ideal for that, with the added bonus of not having to prepare things in a separate pan before transferring them to the slow cooker. I never have to cook things for a long period of time just 4-6 hours in an afternoon and I'm able to come and go without the worry of leaving something in the oven or on the hob. If you are a stay at home mum it is a good choice but not so much for people who want to prepare things first thing in the morning for leaving all day for the reasons other reviewers have already mentioned.

Dualit Hand Blender Gift Pack Chrome 88810
Dualit Hand Blender Gift Pack Chrome 88810

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good quality, 6 Oct 2008
The variable speed didn't seem to work as it only seemed to have one speed which was just too fast. The mixer attatchments took chunks out of my favourite mixing bowl and then after 9 months the motor burnt out. Save your money!

Burglar Bill (Picture Puffin)
Burglar Bill (Picture Puffin)
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!!, 17 Feb 2008
This book is one of the lasting memories of my childhood and luckily I still have the same copy from back then that I can now read to my own children. My youngest is 2 and she sometimes lacks the patience to wait for me to read all the text before jumping ahead to the next page but the charming illustrations enable her to have a good grasp of the story anyway. She loves the Burglar Cat and Burglar Baby.

It will always have pride of place on my bookshelf as it holds lovely memories for me and I hope my children look back on it with fondness in the years to come too.

The Yorkshire Pudding Club
The Yorkshire Pudding Club
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 22 April 2007
I usually approach 'mummy books' with a degree of cynicism but I was drawn into this story from the start. It had just the right balance of characters and a good plot without sounding like it was parroting from a pregnancy textbook as others do. It was also great that it wasn't set in London!!! People do live in other places.

I would really love to read a sequel if one is in the pipeline? It would be great to hear how the girls get on with their new arrivals and their return to work. Any chance please?

Where Rainbows End
Where Rainbows End
by Cecelia Ahern

3.0 out of 5 stars Will it EVER end?, 25 Feb 2007
This review is from: Where Rainbows End (Paperback)
Crikey, this is a long book but it seemed to go fairly quickly. I read it over a lazy weekend. Like others have said I also presumed that the time after the childhood introduction was the present but the years were still piling on and on until I thought 'Hang on, they are emailing and it's 25 years ago!!' which is totally unrealistic (try making a film out of this one!) which ruined it for me a bit and made me inclined to think it is aimed at people who don't want to think too deeply about what they are reading.

I am however a romantic at heart and was pleased about the happy ending and it was a reward enough for ploughing through such a shoddily thought out story.

Out of my Depth
Out of my Depth
by Emily Barr

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely out of her depth this time, 8 July 2006
This review is from: Out of my Depth (Hardcover)
I have read all of Emily Barr's books and enjoyed them but I found this one truly disappointing. The story takes a lot of time to build up, flitting between the 4 friends when they were at school and the reunion at Suzie's farmhouse in France (similarities to Plan B anyone?) That's when it starts to go wrong. I was reading through and the pages remaining on the right were getting less and less and I was thinking 'How on earth can this be concluded within that amount of space?' And the answer is it doesn't. Just fizzles out like a damp firework!

My First Mister [DVD]
My First Mister [DVD]
Dvd ~ Albert Brooks
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars The most moving film I have seen this year, 31 Mar 2004
This review is from: My First Mister [DVD] (DVD)
At the beginning it's not clear what the film is about, with the main character J having bizarre visions and flashbacks. I thought it would be one of those movies that spends it's time trying to be surreal and going nowhere. But as the story develops it becomes a touching tale of an unusual friendship. By the end I had tears pouring down my face. I loved it.

Targus Optical Super Mini Retractable Mouse
Targus Optical Super Mini Retractable Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars A real Stuart Little of a mouse!!, 3 Feb 2004
I bought this as a second 'kiddie-sized' mouse so my son could manage to play games on his own. It's great as the USB connection means I can have both mice on at the same time and don't get told off for helping out when he gets stuck. The retractable cable is fairly fragile, so I invested in a chunkier extention (this does not apply to sharp-suited businesspeople, just rowdy children!)
All in all a great buy, particularly for that little person in your life.

The World's Strongest Engine (Thomas & Friends)
The World's Strongest Engine (Thomas & Friends)
by Arden Druce

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for the young Thomas fan!, 24 Oct 2003
It is the first book my 2 year old son has learned to read. I admit i had a tear in my eye when he first read it to me all on his own!
It has easily set out paragraphs and lovely big pictures. The story is about how the naughty Troublesome Trucks send Henry off the track, then go on to teach Diesel a lesson!
A must for bedtime!