Profile for Dixie81 > Reviews

Content by Dixie81

Dixie81 (England)

On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1)
On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1)
by Ilona Andrews
Price: 4.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Ok, 12 Jun 2012
This has to be the first Ilona Andrews book that I found fairly disappointing. Don't expect the same books as the Kate Daniels series as this is just a thinly veiled romance which happens to be in an urban fantasy setting. Even at that, I can honestly say that it is actually not a very well written romance and the best of the book is certainly the world that they have started to create. Now, if they had written about the The Broken, Weird and Edge and left out most of the romance and had more plot and characters (like the Kate Daniels books) then I can imagine that it could have been a cracker of a series. But, the way it is now and having read the second book, I don't think I'll be reading any more books in this series.

Having said all that, does this affect my view of Ilona Andrews? Not in the least, and I admire them as authors just the same.

I would rather Ilona Andrews writes out her fluffy romantic urges in this series than introduce it into the Kate Daniels books and ruin them for good. Although, this series isn't for me, I can see clearly from the ratings that alot of other people do enjoy it and so Ilona Andrews has succeeded with this book and so good for them, even if it isn't to my personal taste.

The Kate Daniels books are still one of my top urban fantasy series.

Hunt the Moon
Hunt the Moon
by Karen Chance
Price: 6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Hunt the Moon (Paperback)
It was a really long wait for this next book in the series but it was worth it. There was considerable plot and character progression in this latest book which was long overdue and it finally feels like the story's heading somewhere interesting. To be honest, I loved all the previous books too and was just relieved that Karen Chance is still on track with the series as it's becoming harder and harder to find the gems amongst the glut of new urban fantasy books coming out all the time.

If I had one criticism of this book, it would have to be the overly long and descriptive action scenes. I don't mind one or two in a book but any more than that and it can become a tad tedious to wade through, especially when it doesn't necessarily add to the plot. Overall though, I still enjoyed it and it's still one my favourite urban fantasy series out there.

If you like urban fantasy then my hot recommendation right now has to be Stacia Kane's Downside series.

Also, these tried and tested series: Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L Weathertite Hiking Shoe Gunsmoke K160GNS147 5 UK
Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L Weathertite Hiking Shoe Gunsmoke K160GNS147 5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, great price, 6 April 2010
These boots are really comfortable and do exactly what they're supposed to. I've been out and done a little hill walking in the west of Ireland in these boots and they were instantly comfortable and didn't require any breaking in. So far they have proven to be waterproof as well. I ordered a size 5 which is my normal size and they fit perfectly. At the price I paid I couldn't have asked for more.

Personal Demons
Personal Demons
by Stacia Kane
Price: 4.69

3.0 out of 5 stars More romance than Urban Fantasy, 27 July 2009
I was looking forward to reading this book as I was hoping it was the start of another new promising urban fantasy series, but very early on in the book I realised that it was more what I would class a 'paranormal ROMANCE' than urban fantasy.

Now I definitely don't mind romance in a book but not when the whole plot seems to be there to progress the relationship of the herione and her male love interest. The plot at times is interesting and some characters show promise for further books in the series, but my main gripe was the heroine herself who I couldn't warm to at all. I also couldn't see any chemistry between herself and the demon Greyson Dante, although in the book they're having sex within a week of having met!

Having said that, I did enjoy some parts of the book and the prose does work to a certain extent for the genre.

The overall plot had too many holes and I felt not much was explained to my satisfaction. I don't think I'll be reading the next book in the series.

If you want proper urban fantasy books with meaty plots, wonderfully written characters and a smidgen of romance that progresses naturally through several books then try: Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels series), Patriciak Briggs (Mercy Thompson series), Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer series) and Kim Harrinson (Rachel Morgan series)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2009 12:26 PM BST

Bone Crossed: Mercy Thompson Book 4
Bone Crossed: Mercy Thompson Book 4
by Patricia Briggs

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 17 July 2009
This is the fourth book in the Mercy Thompson series and is even better than the first three. For me personally there are three things which are the most important for a well writtem book. The first one is the quality of the characters who have to be believable and to a certain extent likeable, next is the quality of the prose and then the plot. I am so pleased to say that these books have each quality in abundance and are such an enjoyable read.

Can't wait for the next installment. For other great urban fantasy series you must try Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels series), Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer series) and Kim Harrison (Rachel Morgan series).

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels Mysteries)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels Mysteries)
by Ilona Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best series out there, 17 July 2009
Ilona Andrews sure knows how to write a book that grabs from the first sentence and takes you through a very thrilling ride right to the end. I loved the other two previous books but this is even better.

I love the characters and their interactions with eachother, the action, the world the books are set in and even the prose works perfectly for such a genre.

I can't recommend it more and it really is one of the best urban fansy series out there. I hope it keeps getting better, but can it get much better than this???

The Birthing House
The Birthing House
by Christopher Ransom
Price: 5.96

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time!!, 26 April 2009
This review is from: The Birthing House (Paperback)
What an absolute and utter twaddle and waste of time. If you're buying this book after reading the blurb, especially the bit about the main protagonist's wife looking exactly like someone in a victorian picture, then please note this is NEVER explained. There is a mention or two about both women looking exactly alike but to my knowledge there is no explanation of why. Is it only supposed to be a coincidence??? How can they put that on the blurb as the main hook which then never gets explained????

All the characters are very unlikable especially the protagonist whose recounting of select sexual experiences are utterly laughable, and completely pointless as they add nothing to the plot or character development. The whole plot is utterly confusing with people bahaving in ways that doesn't seem natural. Any scary moments are spoiled by the author's lack of ability to write even mediocre prose.

I can go on and on with the faults of this book but I think you can get the gist. PLEASE NOTE that there's a reson why this has received an average of 2 stars from 60 odd reviews!

I feel angry that I paid good money for this rubbish!