Profile for Hannah Reads Books > Reviews

Content by Hannah Reads Books

Hannah Reads Books "hannahreadsbooks" (Perth, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Nothing Left to Lose (Guarded Hearts Book 1)
Nothing Left to Lose (Guarded Hearts Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, So Many Hours Of My Life I Won't Get Back, 7 July 2014
If Amazon would allow me to give a book no stars, then that's all this would be getting. It doesn't even deserve to have a star, but for the sake of a technicality, there you.

I honestly don't know what I've just read. This Is without a doubt one of the worst books I've ever read. Not only that, it's an insult to anyone who has ever suffered abuse at the hands of another.

I don't know where these authors think of their plot lines, but this one is living on daydream island. The whole novel was one giant contradiction of itself. The writing was appalling, the characters disgustingly pathetic. What sort of a person who has been through such emotional trauma and keeps herself locked away as Annabelle did goes and sleeps with someone she barely knows three days later? The author could also use some time to cross check facts on Google. Ashton would have fired for getting involved with Anna. The whole Carter plot line was so absurd - obviously the author has fallen into this whole trap that New Adult is all about sex when it's not. Don't categorise your novels as New adult if you're just going to turn it Ono erotica with a thinly veiled plot with no credibility.

And for the haters, the only reason I read until the end was because I hate DNFing books and I'd hoped that if the author could do one thing right, it would be improving her writing skills. Clearly I was wrong.

Thank God this book was free, because you wouldn't pay a cent for crap like this.

Breaking Free (The Breaking Series Book 1)
Breaking Free (The Breaking Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the Reins by Juliana Haygert, 28 Aug 2013
There are a few certain keywords that make me instantly pick up a book, and horses is one of them. Ever since I read my first Pony Pals book when I was seven or eight, I've been in love with horses. Sadly, I had to choose between learning to ride or ballet lessons, and I chose ballet lessons. But anyway. Enough of my sob story and my dashed dreams for becoming to youngest Australian to win Gold in the three day eventing at the Olympics.

Combine that fact that when you know it's a New Adult romance, which means hot men and steamy action. And horses. So naturally, when I saw Juliana's Pinterest board for Breaking The Reins, I was pretty much fangirling.

Breaking the Reins broke through the reading slump I'd been going through where New Adult contemporary was concerned. What I loved most about this story was that it wasn't all just about two people getting together and getting it on; or, like other New Adult novels, walking on tiptoes around each other until they finally give in, and then the rest of the book is just blatant sex.

Instead, Breaking the Reins takes the age old approach of sexual tension and frustration, a la Pride and Prejudice style. What made this book special was the way Haygert was able to capture the intensity of the romance between the two leads with looks, glances and simple touches; rather than hot and heavy words and actions. This felt like what New Adult contemporary should be.

Breaking the Reins is about Hannah Taylor, whose life is seemingly perfect to the people around her. Her family's minted, she's poised to take over the Taylor equestrian empire, and her boyfriend is a world ranked polo player. The problem is, the life Hannah has, Hannah doesn't want (also, I shall mention now that she has the coolest name in the world. THE WORLD.)

I found myself liking Hannah as a character a lot. While at times she was incredibly weak and I just wanted to give her a shove and a what for, but the way she justified her situation and why she was with her dick of a boyfriend turned me into a helpless puppy. Though her excuses were numerous, they were also valid. And one thing about Eric was that even though Hannah had a crush on him since before they started dating, you could see that, for both of them, there was an underlying tone of love somewhere within their horrendous relationship.

Which brings me to Eric. Selfish, egotistical Eric, who I just wanted to stab with one of those polo club things and give him a swift kick in the balls. But at the same time, I couldn't help but feel just a tiny bit sorry for him. After all, this was a boy who probably would have turned out a lot different if there'd been some changes in his growing up. Behaviour like that doesn't just happen, it stems and grows from a particular reason. I don't believe that people are just evil because; or that they are born so. Something has had to happen to lead them down that path, whatever it be. Still, there is no excuse for violence, and there never ever should be. Though I think Eric should have had more of a comeuppance, but that probably would have dragged the book on too long. But when it did happen, boy was I ever glad. I was seriously worried for a while I wouldn't be getting my HEA!

Enter Leo. Mmmm, Leo. There's nothing sexier than a guy who speaks a different language to you. And Leo was no expection to the rule. Usually, I don't like instant attraction, but I definitely agreed with it here. Maybe it's like Hannah says throughout the book, that her attraction to Leo was purely based on the way her relationship with not just Eric, but her family, was going. Whatever it was, it was sexy as hell, and I loved the way that Leo didn't hide his feelings for Hannah either. Sure, at times he was blunt, but better to be straight to the point and let her know rather than have her hanging on and all sorts of mis-communication go on.

Overall, as you can see, I loved this book. All my favourite elements combined and Juliana did not disappoint at all. I was a little wary, I must confess. There's such a big build up you create over a book, that when it doesn't live up to it's expectations, you do feel a bit let down. But it wasn't the case here, and I know, now having read three books but Juliana, that I'll continue to love her work.

This is definitely one for all of us who've always wanted a knight in shining armour, dressed however he may be. Also, if you're rather bored of all the smut that's been floating around recently in New Adult contemporary world, I can't say it enough. Read this one!!

Soul Ties (Soul Ties series Book 1)
Soul Ties (Soul Ties series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut by a Local Author!, 24 Aug 2013
English university = hot English accents (in my mind). Great debut from a local author, almost squealed my pants off when I found out she was from Perth! Eagerly looking forward to the next book. Why is it that I much prefer New Adult when it's not contemporary? Oh yeah, because there's actually a plot attached to it.

This book nailed everything on the head. Steamy looks and touches, forbidden romance, suspense and the general feeling of just wanting to know more.

Definitely one for those looking to explore New Adult books outside of the general contemporary trope that seems to be piling up these days.

Destiny Gift: 1 (The Everlast Trilogy)
Destiny Gift: 1 (The Everlast Trilogy)
by Juliana Haygert

5.0 out of 5 stars Destiny Gift by Juliana Haygert, 9 May 2013
I knew Destiny Gift was going to be good. I just wasn't prepared for how totally awesome it was.

Surely I should have known, seeing as the setting has three of my favourite things - New York, the future and mythology. And did I mention hot guys? Get ready to put your swooning shoes on ladies.

What makes Destiny Gift so brilliant is the completely original idea that Juliana has created. Yes, it's New Adult. Yes, there's college. Yes, there's hot guys. But the catch is, there's no sex. The relationships are all built on learning and understanding and this undeniable sexual tension that occurs between Nadine and Victor. It's the looks, the touches that count, and boy that makes me squee like a little girl.

Firstly, the world. Oh man, it's like my biggest wet dream ever. Set in the future in a perpetual darkness, Nadine is trying to come to terms with the fact that she is going a bit cuckoo because she's in love with the guy she only sees in her dreams and visions. Then the visions start getting worse, and even still, a bit more apocalyptic.

But New York, in complete darkness? A generation that's never seen the sun? Gimme gimme gimme. Then comes the big twist (which I'll try not to say too much about) - GODS. Juliana has created her own mythology. Uh, YES? Is that not just for the win?? The whole concept was just completely amazing, and I have to give kudos to not just people who can twist mythology into a story, but make their own as well.

Destiny Gift was crafted just perfectly. There was a bit of everything, and nothing ever lagged in the story, at least not for me. I adored all the interactions between Victor and Nadine, especially at the start when he sees her as just a 'WTF is this chick on' moment? And I especially love that he just doesn't accept what Nadine is telling him about their dream-relationship to get into her pants or anything. I loved that there's no instant love between these characters - even Nadine, who's completely smitten with the Victor of her dreams is level-headed enough to be able to understand that love comes from being with someone over time - and she almost resigns herself to that fact.

Nadine was an incredibly likable heroine. She wasn't perfect, she had her flaws and she was a bit timid, but she also had spark and a brain. Which I like, when it comes to my female characters. Sure, she's slightly obsessed with Victor in dream-life and sad that Victor-in-real-life isn't as into her as the other one, but girl has bigger problems to worry about, and Nadine shows that she's not dependent on a guy to live her life (like other NA females can be like).

What I also loved was that the story wasn't just about how there were two guys in Nadine's life and she has to pick between the two. Sure, it's a major part on whole, but the love triangle doesn't take control of the entire story line.

In the beginning, I thought that Micah was a bit of a sleazy ass bad guy, but as time went on, and especially at the end, my heart kind of broke into two. I think (without giving away too much) Micah knew he'd never really have a shot with Nadine, especially seeing who he was when put up against Victor. Gah, just thinking about it now makes me want to cry. And scream out for more.

And then there was Victor, elusive to the max.

Victor was amazing. I have lots of dreams about gorgeous, hunky guys that are sweet and sensitive and broody BUT NONE OF THEM ARE REAL. I WANT A VICTOR. #tantrumensues Anyway, enough of that. Victor was, in a nutshell, a gentlemen. But God, he broke my heart.

Seriously, people. You have to read this book. It's awesome. I am still completely blown away with it, and all I know is that I want more, more and more. Reaching the 100% mark on my Kindle app and I was a complete wreck because all I wanted was to find out what happens next. That ending seriously broke me, and I think that if you read it, we could share in the pain and torture that Juliana has inflicted on us.

Don't overlook this one. Seriously, if you know what's good for you. Read it, devour it, enjoy it. This seriously has to be one of the best New Adult novels I've read, and it needs to be recognized for what it is: a bloody fantastic novel.

(This review is also found on Amazon US)

Strength
Strength
by Carrie Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Strength by Carrie Butler, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Strength (Paperback)
You know that feeling you get when you read too many books and they all blur into one until words are just letters of the alphabet in different words? Don't worry, Strength isn't one of those books. Actually, it was the book (and another NA paranormal) that pulled me out of my slump. That slump where I was reading and reading and reading but the thoughts weren't actually going through.

Everything about this book blew me away. Just going to lay out it there and say it, because it's the truth. There's really not a lot more to say that hasn't already been said about Strength, because I know there's been glowing reviews already (I totally don't stalk Carrie or anything o_0).

I have a theory, that if you cut off all her hair, she'd look like a British man....lol no, not really but I do have a theory. I have a theory that if you are looking for a new adult read that's compelling, sexy, fast paced and actually worth reading because it can carry a plot and have characters that mean something, then you should definitely read any of the novels published by the NA Alley sisters (and bro, I won't forget you E.J!). Cos dayum girl, they know how to write.

Aside from the characters, who carry this novel effortlessly, Carrie also manages to entwine this fantastic plot that doesn't lag or drop at any point. From the very start, reading Strength is like being on an emotional high, one that I didn't want to come down from. Screw the fact that I had work at 7am when I started reading (at 1am in the morning I might add, who needs sleep when you can read books?). At no time did I ever feel confused or bored. And sometimes, especially with paranormal, that the plot goes a bit haywire and there's so many threads going on that your mind is just like "WOAH, hold on a minute." The good thing is though, that because of the paranormal element, it means that there's more to this story than two people meeting and getting together, which seems to be the basis of a lot of NA contemporaries out there. You don't get that same, repetitive story line. It's the kind of book that when you get to the end, you're in a complete mess because there are no more pages to turn.

Which brings me to the characters.

Sometimes, with books, you often find that if the characters are fantastic, the plot and story line tend to be blah. Or the other way round. Not in Strength. First of all, you have one of the strongest female characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Rena is strong and fierce and truly knows how to kick butt. I totally wish I was BFFs with Rena. She's a girl that doesn't let problems rule her life, and she doesn't take no for an answer. If she thinks something will work, she'll try damn hard to make it work. We're all guilty of judging someone without knowing them, and Rena knows this after she meets Wallace the first couple of times. It's a good testament to her character, and it's something I've not seen a lot in NA characters. There's no superficialness to Rena. She's as honest and real as they come.

And Wallace. Oh Wallace. What can I say? At first I was all kind of like, uhhh....but Wallace is like one of those awkwardly gorgeous (and usually) British actors who at first you think are really quite unattractive but then the longer you stare at their gorgeously chiseled face and tall, solid features all of a sudden...

Seriously. Wallace is pretty much a dream guy. Sure, sometimes I wanted to slap him over the head, but there were other times I just wanted to give him a great big bear hug. Wallace isn't like your other NA guys. He's caring, compassionate. He's not a man whore, which for one is such a relief to read that not all guys in college are like that. And the simplistic romance that he and Rena has, oh it just melts my heart. Give me longing grazes and touching hands and smoldering looks over push me up the walls any day. There's just something more romantic about it. Soul deep stuff.

Okay, so I know I've pretty much just fangirled my way through this review, but whatever. If you can't fangirl over a book these days, I don't see the point in reading. So please. If you are looking for something completely worth your time, buy this treasure of a book. Just do it. Although, as much as it pains me to say, if you are like me and get upset when you get to the end of a book, and just want more, more, I'd suggest waiting a little bit longer until we know when the sequel will be published. Actually, just read it.

Hopeless
Hopeless

2.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless by Colleen Hoover...It Really is Just That., 2 April 2013
This review is from: Hopeless (Kindle Edition)
I'm not going to sugarcoat this review. This book bothered me.

Okay, wait, wait. Before I start getting the cries of "Why!" and "OMG are you crazy!" let's just clear one thing up first - the only reason I gave this book two stars instead of one is because, love or hate a book, I really can't fault Colleen's writing style. She definitely has a way with words, and it was really the most outstanding thing about the book for me.

To clarify as well - all my reviews are based on my own personal opinion. I know this review is going to sound like me just moaning a lot, but it is my own views. I know so many people who really enjoyed this book - which is great! Good for you. I'm happy that you liked it. I'm just sad I didn't.

Things that irritated me. Okay, deep breath.

1. Realism
Okay, so I've talked to some people, and they loved the plot. Don't get me wrong again, I enjoyed it also. Until, well, it started getting so cheesy and cliched. Hopeless shows that the world isn't perfect. That it's full of people that do bad things, sometimes for no reason at all, sometimes for stupid reasons, or even because they think they are doing the right thing. Which is great and all, but when you sugarcoat the ending to make everything look as happy as larry, the point you are trying to put across becomes void. Catch my drift? The ending was too sweet. Too, everyone except the bad guy gets their happy ending. Life isn't a Disney movie, and for me, the events that play out in Hopeless, while yes, I understand this is a novel, I was left feeling like none of the characters had any actual growth or development to them. It was as if the drama was completely void.

2. Characters.
Sky, for me, lacked any credibility right from the start. First, she had the worst choice in friends. Breckin was okay, but Six, God. If I ever met someone like Six, I know I'd be staying well clear. Why would a person let herself be defined by her friend's actions? Sky says she isn't a slut. And okay yes, so maybe she isn't. But if you don't want people to label you as such, then don't go fooling around with as many guys as your best friend does. Yes, Sky has the 'I don't care what people think of me' attitude, which is great and all, but seriously Sky, have a bit of back bone. A bit of character and self respect for yourself. And I find that as someone who is the victim of sexual abuse, she would consent to be used like that. Sure, I understand that what she does with boys is because she needs to numb the pain. But seriously? Are we so much the weaker sex that we need to numb the pain of being sexual abused by letting guys feel us up? Why not take a kick boxing class. Why not tell someone about what happened? Okay, I understand that in Karen's case, it had been reported once and the case fell through. That Sky's dad was a cop, but that does not make it okay. Really, what is so wrong with society that we can justify rape like that? To just be so blase about the idea that oh, nothing can ever be solved by it. I just don't understand why people cannot stand up for themselves. Why they give up. And really, it makes me sad.

Unfortunately, no-one seemed to learn from their experiences. Karen abducting Sky at a young age was emotionally unstable. Her parenting skills were classed as 'liberal' because she let Sky do whatever she wanted, but God forbid if she ever asked for a phone, the internet or a television. Holder was mediocre at the best of times. I point blank refuse to believe that he had such a close relationship with his sister and yet he had not one inkling what had happened to her. I also find it hard to believe that despite both Holder children attending counselling sessions, Lesslie's sexual abuse wasn't discovered. I also...and, sigh, I just...suicide. Okay, I'm not going to express those thoughts. Everyone in this book seemed to be running away to escape their problems. Holder gets all moody at Sky for weeks and not once does she confront him, but at the slightest touch of affection, he's all forgiven.

3. Names
This was the big one for me. For the love of God, what kick do people get out of having crazy made up names? Lesslie. Less-lie. An adapted version of Leslie, for what reason? So that the main character could have a tattoo on his arm that said Hopeless (which you'll discover the point of later).

What's wrong with Leslie? I mean, really. Les. Stick it with Hope and it's still Hopeles. Hopeless. Point made. And Six. Her real name is Seven. For Christ's sake, what do people get out of calling their child a number? And then let her retaliate by nicknaming herself with another number? In Divergent, by Veronica Roth, Four's nickname makes sense. Four fears. Here, nothing makes sense.

4. Sex & New Adult Labelling.
So firstly the sex. Why was it that it felt like this book was just one big teenage girl's wet dream with a semi-interesting plot thrown in? Do people have nothing better to do in their lives than lay on a bed on a Saturday night and make out with someone? Not just that, but the whole we aren't really going to have sex sex but we will do everything else under the sun thing is kind of off-putting. It makes me feel dirty reading it, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Now don't get me wrong - I love a good sex scene, but when it happens every five pages...does anyone else feel like they've walked in on someone doing the dirty? Over and over again?

My second point was the age thing. Is the only reason this novel is New Adult because there is so much sex? Why? It's not even like the characters fall into the NA age bracket (18-25) for most of the novel. They are still in high school for heaven's sake. Wrongly classifying New Adult is starting to get to me. This, at best, is mature YA. Books for Older Readers.

Overall, as you can see, this was a really big let down for me. The bland story line that most New Adult contemporaries now follows has really gotten up my goat recently, and that was really something that set me on edge here. It'd be really nice to read something for a change where the main girl doesn't fall head over heels for the main guy in a matter of glances. But I'm discussing that later in the week on the blog, so I won't go into it.

A story that fell flat because of the plot holes and unrealistic situations and characters, Hopeless made me feel that this novel was just that. Unfortunately not one for me, but I can see how it did appeal to some people, and good for that. You should always base a book on your own perceptions, not from what others think. However it has made me re-think about picking up anything else by Colleen Hoover in the future.

State of Emergency (Collapse Series Book 1)
State of Emergency (Collapse Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars State of Emergency, 11 Mar 2013
This book is awesomesauce. Literally.

Los Angeles, present day. Cassidy, a high school graduate, needs a job. There's barely any food in her pantry, and then all of a sudden all her electronics just die. And as we know, technology doesn't just die. An electronic pulse has just hit the US, and Cassidy does the one thing her father taught her best: go into survival mode.

It's hard to imagine what the world would be like if one day you woke up and everything just died. If planes started falling out of the sky. What would you do? How would you react? Summer effortlessly tells the story of one girl's need to survive whatever has happened to her country. She paints a realistic picture of the what if. You know all those disaster movies we watch? The ones where everything unrealistic happens to the characters?

Okay, so maybe that's a bad example. But it's still Hollywood!

Those Hollywood execs should be taking lessons from Summer, because she knows how to tap the realism. Yes, I know, I'm babbling. But...it's so good, you know? No. Well, that's cos you need to read the book!!!!

I love dystopian fiction, but what's lacking these days is apocalyptic fiction, and SOE fills that gap. Sure, it's New Adult, but I'd definitely recommend this one for any mature readers out there. There's something about that unknown future that just sends the right signals to my reader's brain, so it's no surprise that I completely devoured SOE in one reading.

From the characters to the prose, Summer has a knack for the art of story telling. I felt like I was walking right alongside Cassidy and Chris, going through all of Cassidy's emotions and just seeing that bigger picture just a little bit more.

Cassidy was a strong character that I managed to connect really well with. She's logical, smart and intuitive, but at the same time she's not completely ruled by her head. The absence of her mother means that it's just been her father and her for years, so she's not used to strangers, and it shows when she meets Chris just how wary she is. But what makes her even more so great is that while she does have that level-headedness, she's also passionate, impulse, and just a little bit reckless. I love how she sticks to her guns as well. Throughout the whole novel, Cassidy is focused on one goal - meeting up with her father at their emergency point. It's refreshing to see a girl who isn't waylaid by a hot guy for once.

Cue Chris. Excuse me while I fan myself down. Chris is the older, extremely gorgeous Navy Seal that Cassidy almost runs over when heading out of LA to meet up with her father. Chris is everything that Cassidy isn't - he's definitely the more logical and focused one, and while at times they clash, it's the good sort. Chris isn't one to be pedantic either. For example, if Cassidy pushes him to do things her way and it leads them in to some sort of trouble, he's not the guy who is going to be all, "I told you so!" He was sweet, charming and that little bit mysterious that I just wanted to snog him silly myself. If Cassidy hadn't been standing in my way of course!

Overall, State of Emergency was one of those reads that you just didn't want to finish. I found myself catipulted head first into a strange new world, and I enjoyed it so much I came out of reading thinking, "Oh my, why aren't the lights on? We've been hit by an electromagnetic pulse!" It took me a good five minutes to realize that it actually hadn't happened and I'd been reading in bed without the light on. Silly me.

Appealing to fans of series like Tomorrow, When The War Began, SOE is everything you want in an apocalyptic novel and more. Romance, action, humour, and a steady plot that sucks you right in. If you're stuck for a read, then go check out this little gem, because it'll absolutely blow your mind!

The Goddess Inheritance (The Goddess Series - Book 3)
The Goddess Inheritance (The Goddess Series - Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Goddess Inheritance, 11 Mar 2013
Love it or hate it, Kate & Henry's love story comes to a conclusion with The Goddess Inheritance, the final book in the trilogy.

I have to admit, I'm a fence sitter here. The Goddess Test left me wary. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, and wasn't particularly enamoured by our heroine. The Goddess Hunt left me confused by my feelings for Henry and all that he did wrong. And what Kate didn't do in proving her worth and love for Henry. So going into The Goddess Inheritance was a bit like...expecting a disappointment. Which I got.

To be fair, there was really nothing wrong with the story. However for me, it was just another conculsion to a series I needed to finish. Kate disappointed me so much in this book. For all her supposed bravery, she never came out on top shining. Fellow blogger and awesomesauceness Eileen mentions it in her review, about how hypocritical Kate is in pretty much every situation. Eileen puts it perfectly -

"Kate was so hypocritical at times that I wanted to kick someone, ideally her. She said she was nice, right after snarling to somebody and calling them a "bitch." That's not so nice."

- almost as if she'd been reading my thoughts exactly. Kate reminds me a bit of Regina George. You know in that scene in Mean Girls where Cady thinks Regina is talking to Aaron Samuels for her but then Regina kisses him and Cady's all like "I don't know what Janis meant, Regina is such a good....SLUT!" Reading Kate is like being Cady.

I felt bad for Cronus, really. Poor guy trapped in eternal damnation with nobody to keep him company except for Calliope, aka the world's biggest bitch. And the one girl who he thinks loves him is double crossing him. No wonder he gets so mad...

Plus - and it's not that much of a spoiler seeing as they mention it in the sypnosis - I hate babies in books. They don't belong in them. At all. Especially in YA. Personal preference. Though I did like that they called the baby Milo, keeping in with the mythology.

Overall, I'm glad to have read through the series and to see how it ended. While it was not the cup of tea I particularly wanted - and I can't really divulge too much information without completely ruining it for you, the elements of Greek mythology were definitely a great read - the whole adaption of mythology was what I loved about this series.

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, Book 1)
What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, Book 1)
by Kat Zhang

4.0 out of 5 stars What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang, 19 Dec 2012
As much as I love Dystopian fiction, the one thing that I find ultimately holds some works back is that they are too generic in their plot. It's like you get one great Dystopian read, and then there are about ten new copycat versions of it but with different characters and a different setting. And as much as I can read Dystopian YA until my eyes fall out, there does come a point where you do get sick of it, and until I read What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang, I have to admit, I was in a Dystopian slump.

The idea behind What's Left Of Me is definitely intriguing enough to wake you up. Two souls co-exist in the body before one has to take over. It's definitely not been done before - at least, not to my knowledge.

And with this fantastic idea, Zhang provides a brilliant debut novel that is set just at the right pace, keeping you interested until the very end.

When we meet Eva and Addie, they are two souls who share the same body. Almost polar opposites, in the people that they are, which reflects in Addie being the dominant soul over the quieter Eva. They've kept this a secret since a young age, when both souls refused to go away, and the girls have co-existed somewhat peacefully since. You really feel for Eva, whose perspective we read from, who is stuck as the less dominant soul, a voice in the back of Addie's head. She can't communicate or show any of the emotions that she wants to, and slowly as she learns to take control of the body she shares you begin to see a side of Addie you wish didn't exist. With the introduction of characters that are like Eva and Addie, you begin to sympathize for these souls as real people, despite the fact that they have just one body. They are two separate beings, in one body. They're sisters, and the internal and emotional struggle that they face is really quite...how should I say it? Heartbreaking.

Another factor that I enjoyed about What's Left Of Me is that the romance is not the centre of the book. It's subtle and really well done, and not at all overbearing. You can see the growth of the relationships being played out, rather than the full intensity you sometimes get in Dystopian style romances.

The only thing that really let down this novel was that I felt often confused at times at certain facts. I couldn't really understand if the world that Eva and Addie lived in was a futuristic world, or sort of an alternate world in our time setting. Whatever the confusion, though, this was an incredible first novel, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes from now. I'd love to read more about the Resistance as well, and how the budding romance between Ryan and Eva will be played out.

Plus this book seriously has one of the most beautiful covers I've laid eyes on, and I hate pink and purple. So that's saying something.

Breathe
Breathe
by Sarah Crossan

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathe by Sarah Crossan, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Breathe (Paperback)
Breathe is an extraordinarily breath-taking read...excuse the pun. But really, if there's one Dystopian book you should read, it's this. In most Dystopian novels, we don't get to see what caused the world to fall apart. Or at least, you only hear about it. Breathe changes all that, and gives the reader an ultimate do or die situation that is a stark reality of what our own future may one day be.

Breathe centres around three main characters - Quinn, the premium. Bea, his best friend, and Alina, part of the resistance - and how their lives intertwine together. Usually I don't like novels where the the POV splits between two people, let alone three. This time, however, it seemed to work. At times I felt like I wasn't able to properly get to know each character. But through each chapter that you had with each of the three, you got to see the world through their eyes, and Sarah Crossan managed to do it in a really convincing way. And on the plus side, it didn't take away from the story too much. Quinn's puppy love for Alina really annoyed me, and there were times I just wanted to slap him across the face and yell "BEA YOU IDIOT! BEA!" As you can see, I am Team Bea.

Breathe had a good mixture of action and internal dialogue. You learn a lot about the world that has come to be, how Premiums control the people, what the Resistance are doing. The novel, being set in an alternate United Kingdom, had a lot of settings that I recognized (anyone spot the old Arsenal stadium? Spot the football fanatic!) as well as being put straight into the action of the whole world. I'm hoping for even more world building in the next book, which I am definitely looking forward to!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5