Profile for Ruari Burt > Reviews

Transformers: Age of Extinction First Edition Optimus Prime Figure
Transformers: Age of Extinction First Edition Optimus Prime Figure
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a better toy. Good for display though., 27 Jun 2014
Decent toy but suffers a couple of flaws. The backpack is the biggest culprit. The transformation, whilst easy, can get tough or slightly difficult to the point to you can give up.

Is good as a display piece. But I say get the leader class edition instead.

Thor: The Dark World [Blu-ray 3D] [2013]
Thor: The Dark World [Blu-ray 3D] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the most part., 25 Feb 2014
This is a decent entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sure this is good filler for Avengers 2 but I found flaws nonetheless.

Postitives:
Chris Hemsworth is once again awesome as Thor.
Tom Hiddleston is once again a scene steeler as Loki.
Christopher Eccelston makes an awesome villain.
Anthony Hopkins is still good as Odin.

Negatives:
Natalie Portman is once again bland and dull.
Kat Dennings once again is unfunny and her voice is beyond annoying.
Rene Russo is underused again.
The climax is a huge mess. Going from one comedic scene to the other whilst having a good battle isn't good.

Overall, I found it mediocre for the most part.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 11:01 AM GMT

Apple ME864B/A 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Dual Core i5 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB HDD, Iris Graphics, Mac OS X)
Offered by GB Buddy
Price: 839.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best computer I've owned in years., 17 Jan 2014
I've decided to convert to Mac after being a PC person for many years. I thought this was the best MacBook to choose from and boy was I right.

Everything about it makes this machine shine.

The retina display is stunning. One of the best displays I've seen on a machine in recent years. The keyboard is also good, considering the fact it has the power button integrated into it.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

Lenovo G580 15.6-inch Laptop (Blue) - (Intel Celeron B830 1.8GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this laptop at all costs., 5 Oct 2013
After having no laptop for about least a year, I decided to purchase this with the money I've recently got. I thought I made a good choice with picking Lenovo since I've heard positive reviews about their products.

After getting it in the post, unboxing and powering it on for the first time. I thought to myself, "This is a very good laptop, nothing will go wrong with it"

How wrong was I.

Within two days, I've lost the internet connection to the laptop as well as access to all my Windows 8 apps. This was a huge blow to me as I've spent nearly 335 on this machine. Many months followed and still I couldn't fix it. It wasn't until this month that I finally bought a new computer in the form of an Apple MacBook.

So, overall, a huge waste of my money on what would have been an amazing machine. Avoid this at all costs.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine
Price: 18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An action packed, thrill ride of a Star Trek film. But its very easy to spot all the Wrath of Khan references. (Warning SPOILER), 29 Aug 2013
Once again, JJ Abrams has bought us another Star Trek film that is worth the wait and the cast from the previous film are still memorable in their roles. Zachary Quinto once again shines as Spock and Chris Pine is still awesome as Kirk. It's also good to see Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, John Cho and Zoe Saldana do more in their roles as I thought they weren't given enough to do in the last film. The newcomers are a hit and miss. Peter Wellar of Robocop fame plays the corrupt Admiral Marcus and puts in a decent performance. Alice Eve on the other hand is ok as Carol Marcus but its Benedict Cumberbatch who steels the show as Khan. Rather then homage to Ricardo Moltoban, Cumberbatch makes the role his own and is the best actor in the film. The plot is decent, even if it homages The Wrath of Khan quite too much. Overall, a good film with a good cast and good special effects to top it all off. Defiantly recommend for Star Trek fans old and new.

Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Price: 14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better (Warning, review contains spoilers), 23 Jun 2013
After having a blast with The Avengers (Which unfortually I missed in the cinema but eventually caught it on Blu-Ray) My hopes for this film were very high. The trailers made this film very promising and I thought Ben Kingsley was going to be an awesome Mandarin as he is my favourite Iron Man villain. Then when I went to the cinema to see it and I thought to myself, "What were they thinking"?

The Mandarin was very good up until we get this plot twist which reveals that Kingsley isn't The Mandarin, but rather a football-loving, drunken, British actor. I couldn't believe what I saw, even Tony Stark himself was baffled. Were the crew playing a huge practical joke on the fans? Later we find out that The Mandarin all along was Guy Pearce's suave, evil businessman. And that he was the true villain all along. Imagine if in The Dark Knight, after The Joker is captured, he turns out to be a washed out Australian hippie.

But, there were some positives. Downey once again puts on an amazing performance and the same can go for Paltrow and Cheadle. The special effects are once again good and the house attack as well as the final battle between the suits and armours was mind blowing.

Overall, whilst I enjoyed it for the first half, it's the later half that suffers.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd
Price: 12.47

3.0 out of 5 stars An amazing return to Middle-Earth, 8 April 2013
When Peter Jackson emerged victorious at the 2004 Oscars, there was hope that he'll adapt J.R.R Tolkens 1937 book The Hobbit into a motion picture. Originally conceived as two films, it was later expanded into three for production proposes.

So, does The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey proves that it's the masterpiece that The Lord Of The Rings was? Not quite, but it's still enjoyable.

Since I own a 3D TV, I decided to purchase the 3D edition of the film. You get four Blu-Ray discs.

Discs 1 + 2 comprise of the 3D version of the film which, due to space and time issues as well as to keep the best quality possible is divided upon two 50 GB discs. Disc 3 contains the standered 2D edition which thankforally is shown in its entirely without any interruptions. Disc 4 contains special features which comprise of the web features shown before the film came out, as well as trailers for the upcoming games. So, basically the same.