Profile for charles w roberts > Reviews

Content by charles w roberts

charles w roberts

God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A excellent book in every way., 5 Jun 2014
informative, indeed educational. Very easy to read and worthwhile. When I've finished this I will certainly read it again
this time more attentively and will probably obtain a hard copy for my library.

The Life and Prayers of Saint Benedict
The Life and Prayers of Saint Benedict
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful account of this great saint, 4 May 2014
Very easily read and understood and I will as a result try to look in more detail of what may be known of this
truly great and holy man's life and work. An inspiring book and life

Richard Burton Explorer
Richard Burton Explorer
Price: 6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book., 4 May 2014
Most excellent. Easily read and unpretensious prose, I'm sure Burton would approve. Particularly liked
excerpts from Burton's own accounts. Have become persuaded by this book to read more of his work and life.

National Geographic - Lost in China [DVD]
National Geographic - Lost in China [DVD]
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Young children " just might " like it. In my opinion not suitable for adults., 19 Sep 2013
I regret to say I found the " brothers" over intrusive to the extent that very little of what might have been shown simply wasn't. I thought them a little old to be acting so foolishly. I'm sure the brothers' and their family may have enjoyed their antics but I fear I did not. Their attempts at humour I found infantile. My wife and I watched about three quarters of the first disc and by mutual accord consigned the first and unwatched second disc to the waste disposal bin. There have been so many very successful travel and history programmes and I feel that if the American brothers had seen some and understood them, they might have been content to leave the production and performance of such programmes to the Professionals. Very disappointing and almost embarrassingly bad. C.W..R.

Hush Puppies Mens Hipster Chukka PL Brown Desert Boots Wide  H103213 10 UK, 44 EU
Hush Puppies Mens Hipster Chukka PL Brown Desert Boots Wide H103213 10 UK, 44 EU

1.0 out of 5 stars not good - very poor in fact., 23 July 2013
When living in England I purchased Hush Puppies over a number of years and always found them good value and extremely comfortable. I was therefore extremely disappointed to receive these and thought them inferior, not only to Hush Puppies, but to many other make of boots and shoes. They are poorly finished and, in my opinion, fall far short of the descriptive photograph.
There is virtually no support in the sides of the boots and on opening the parcel I found both boots had the appearance of being previously worn; the toe and heel part of the boot being smooth as if scuffed in considerable wear. Of course they had not been worn, it was simply the poor finish. half an hour with a wire brush brought up the nap of the "so called" suede but boots were nonetheless not up to the standard I come to expect from such a reputable firm. I notice they are made in China, where presumably their idea of dark brown differs from mine; these are so dark as to nearly indistinguishable from black. I would have returned them but for the extremely high cost of postage.They are thrown into the bottom of my wardrobe, totally unsatisfactory.

Socrates: Philosophy in an Hour
Socrates: Philosophy in an Hour
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a good outline, 22 July 2013
a worthwhile synopsis and an easy read. I would have liked a little more Socrates and less Plato but all in all O.K. I understand of course that little is known of Socrates apart from the snippits from contemporaries and, of course, Plato.

The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions)
Price: 1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant production in every way., 22 July 2013
Excellent in every way. This is the second Kindle versioin I have had and surpasses the previous version in every way.
The first version was very poorly put together and thus difficult to read. This later version is almost as good as reading
from a book but better in the sense that one can have it with one all the time. I'm delighted to have this second "edition.

Mens Roamers Leather Chelsea Boots Cushioned lining Brown size 10
Mens Roamers Leather Chelsea Boots Cushioned lining Brown size 10
Offered by The Slippers Shop
Price: 30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Boots., 30 May 2013
Excellent in every respect. Comfortable, well finished, and very good looking. These boot are very good value
and I am pleased to say far better than many other boots ordered on line. Well done "Roamers".

Bonhoeffer:Agent Of Grace [DVD] [2000]
Bonhoeffer:Agent Of Grace [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Ulrich Tukur
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.29

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the book much more than this film., 4 Feb 2013
I thought the film rather "bitty" and not worthy of the subject. It left far to much to the imagination and failed to
give sufficient emphasis to the piety and virtue of Bonhoeffer and for the most part similarly failed to convey the tensions under which this man lived. All in all, rather disappointing I thought.

Best Shot [DVD]
Best Shot [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gene Hackman

5.0 out of 5 stars far better than i expected., 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Best Shot [DVD] (DVD)
When ordering this, I had reservations as to how good it might be and finally bought it solely because I am an admirer
of Gene Hackman, who rarely if ever disappoints. He certainly fully met my expectations. A really most enjoyable
film, greatly enjoyed by my wife who is certainly not a sports fan.