Profile for tillycat > Reviews

Darryl Worley
Darryl Worley
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars great music, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Darryl Worley (Audio CD)
this was my first darryl worley CD, I wasn't sure if it was for me. Its great, the lyrics make you chuckle, some are sad and its quite topical for americas place in the world. good for driving to!

Tortillas to Totems: Motorcycling Mexico, the USA and Canada. Sidetracked by the Unexpected

5.0 out of 5 stars four of four, 12 April 2012
well I intended to read this book soon after reading distant suns... but thought I'd keep it as a treat....well I held out for a while but I've just finished reading it and lament theres nothing to follow!
I've enjoyed reading about someone elses take on the world. It was interesting to see how Sam's views and thoughts changed as he met different people in different places. I was interested to read about Sam's take on a western country having travelled through third world countries.
Its a book to read that encompasses motorcycles, food and culture. Done on a budget but makes use of what they find. Once again a jolly good read and I couldn't believe it when I reached the end of the book - just wanted to keep going. I wish you well for the future and hope you might write another soon!

Red Tape and White Knuckles: One Woman's Motorcycle Adventure through Africa
Red Tape and White Knuckles: One Woman's Motorcycle Adventure through Africa
by Lois Pryce

5.0 out of 5 stars another good read, 9 Feb. 2011
Another inspiring read by Lois - enjoyable and one to keep.

It was interesting to read about her adventures and her reflections on the people and places she travelled through. She has a knack for describing her experiences - both nailbiting and wonderful and this keeps you turning the pages.

Thanks Lois!

Lois on the Loose
Lois on the Loose
by Lois Pryce

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read!, 9 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
Its a shame about some of the less glowing reviews - don't let them put you off!

This is a good read, good on Lois for getting out there and doing something inspiring that I wish I was able to do!

She has a eye for describing her experiences and brave enough to talk about the challenges are travelling alone.

I read a lot of travel books and this is a very pleasant read for motorcyclists and non motorcyclists too. I'd buy it for anyone who likes reading about others experiences travelling.

Distant Suns: Adventure in the Vastness of Africa and South America
Distant Suns: Adventure in the Vastness of Africa and South America

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 of 4, 9 Feb. 2011
I have enjoyed all of Sam's books so far. This book take you through Africa into South America with his partner Birgit. This adds another dimension to his journey and once again Sams' observation on life and relationships with the people they meet are fascinating. The simple aspects of life whilst travelling and the difficulties encountered during the trip kept me turning the page, whilst it was interesting seeing how travelling with a soulmate gave Sam chance to reflect on his views on life.
Sam has a knack for describing places - its almost better than pictures although I did enjoy the photos in this book.

Having read the 2 previous books before Distant Suns I find I'm almost reluctant to start Tortillas to Totems as I don't want it to end. oh well here I go!
I do hope you have a lot more books to write Sam!

Under Asian Skies: Eye Opening Motorcycle Adventure Through the Cultures and Colours of Asia

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 of 4, 16 Jan. 2011
Another riveting and inspiring read... which takes you through many countries once again.
We hear about the interesting characters that Sam meets and the joys and other moments of travelling by bike. It is interesting to read about acknowledgement that we all learn and grow through experiences good and bad.
I would give this book to anyone who enjoys reading about peoples stories. It's not just about travel and motorcycles, it encompasses all of human nature and reminds me that for every bad person out there, there are people who act kindly and enjoy meeting other people.

I savoured every page of 'Under Asian Skies' and like his 1st book I found myself wanting to keep turning the pages on this one....I hope you keep finding more to write about Mr Manicom!

I am now on Sam's 3rd book 'Distant Suns' and Im glad I've got the next book ready for after that one!

Into Africa: Africa by Motorcycle - Every Day an Adventure
Into Africa: Africa by Motorcycle - Every Day an Adventure

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st of 4, 16 Jan. 2011
I like motorcycling, I like travelling - but funds and time only allow intermittent opportunities.
I bought two books out of sequence but decided to ask for the others as gifts for christmas. I started this book on christmas day - I'm now on the 3rd. This book takes you away to other places and involves you in the stories, painting pictures of other countries.

This book is much more than motorcycling - read it if you like learning about others, read it if you like travel, read it because you learn something of other places.

Its nicely written and I kept getting to sleep late because I wanted to read what happened next!

A tip - make sure you get the next book before you finish this one......

Lightweight Camping for Motorcycle Travel
Lightweight Camping for Motorcycle Travel
by Frazier Douglass

4.0 out of 5 stars makes you itch to go travelling, 9 Jan. 2011
This book is geared towards the American motorcycle camper, but has good tips and advice for a novice/ learning motorcycle camper. I'm a reasonably experienced motorcyclist and camper and found myself agreeing with a lot of the tips - which we learn through experience.
I had a few chuckles as I read about problems particular to the USA...guns are prohibited on many campsites...and what are chiggers?? I did learn some stuff about camping in the USA that might have me running to a motel - racoons, bears and other animals, not to mention rowdy neighbours at campsites - there are useful tips to avoid these spoiling your trip.
Sometimes you feel some issues are repeated - but actually its all relevant.
Don't let the USA focus put you off - it has relevance for all countries.
Mainly its an interesting pleasant read, reminding me of trips I have taken - I bought it as a christmas read and it did the job of whiling away a few pleasant hours.