Profile for Heisenberg71 > Reviews

Leprosy
Offered by popstoreu546
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely heavy!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Leprosy (Audio CD)
I first had this on vinyl picture disc - nice! It was great to see this re-released on cd. It remains an absolute classic album that is insanely brutal with some purely awesome riffing. This is my favourite death metal album of all time, and it sounds just as powerful and relevant today as it did when it was first released. Chuck was a genius. R.I.P.

Eternal Nightmare (2CD)
Eternal Nightmare (2CD)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A killer lesson in furious thrash, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Eternal Nightmare (2CD) (Audio CD)
I've not got much to add to what other reviewers have already said - there are some pretty 'spot-on' reviews here. I first bought this when I was 18 on recommendation from a friend who was in a thrash band at the time. He said 'if you want to buy one great album today then buy this' whilst we were in the local record shop. I bought it on cassette - and proceeded to wear it out because I played it to death. I then bought it on vinyl, and now have it on cd. Purely and simply this album just kills relentlessly from start to finish - and I feel it does epitomise 'thrash' and all that was/is great about thrash. It's nearly perfect in every sense and it picks you up and throws you against the wall! Apart from the guy who urged me to buy it, all my other friends hated Vio-lence, always moaning about the vocals etc - but I love the vocals and I think they really suit this album. However, my friends at the time would also not go beyond Metallica and Anthrax, so my Testament, Exodus, Heathen and Forbidden albums also made them cry - they just didn't 'get' the real Bay Area thing! This album is for 'real' thrashers only - and it's a real lesson in how thrash should be played! If I was forced onto a desert island and only allowed to take one thrash album it would definitely be this one! PS - the bonus live cd with this release is pretty good too!

King Of The Grey Islands (Bonus Tracks)
King Of The Grey Islands (Bonus Tracks)
Price: 5.85

4.0 out of 5 stars It's no Nightfall...but well worth checking out!, 6 Oct 2013
I bought this just a couple of weeks ago, tempted by the low price and also for the purpose of building up my ever growing back catalogue of metal albums, and checking out how they sound with vocalist Robert Lowe. I have been a Candlemass fan since the late eighties since Nightfall - and to me Nightfall has its place in metal history as a really sublime and (almost) perfect album (although Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation aren't bad albums either). I was really pleasantly surprised when I played this - it flows pretty well and is crushingly heavy in parts, and Robert Lowe does a great job. The 4th track (Of Stars and Smoke) is a monumentously heavy killer with a great chorus too - I just love that song. The rest are pretty good efforts, if not perhaps slightly 'run of the mill' in places at times. I've given this 4 stars as its pretty damn good really and Of Stars and Smoke just kills and rattles your guts with its heaviness; but some slightly dodgy lyrics ('the rainbow is in the sky' etc) and the fact that it is not Nightfall means that I can't give it 5 stars. If you like Candlemass/heavy doom metal this is definitely worth checking out.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I had to write a brief review about this album as it has been interesting seeing the varied perspectives from other reviewers (some loving it some hating it etc). I can see the perspectives from both sides, and the point I'd like to highlight in this review is that my opinion changed from negative to positive - and that surprised me! As a long term DT fan, along with many other DT fans I know that a new release will unlikely be 'instantly accessible' (by that I mean the appreciation of the depth of the album). For me this is the beauty of Dream Theater, that there is so much going on that usually a few listens are in order before things click into place and a real 'judgement' can be made. I will be the first to admit that when I first played this album I was left feeling a little disappointed, it at first seemed a bit 'hashed together' and didn't really flow for me. Many DT fans will often face the dilemna of 'is it as good as Awake, or 6 Degrees, or Images & Words' etc etc (whichever your favourites might be) - the reason being that DT have set their own bar so very high with so many fantastic albums. My personal favourites are indeed 6 Degrees and Awake, but that's just my opinion and I know that many others will disagree. I personally found both of those albums quite difficult to get into and fully appreciate at first, but was very well rewarded once everything had 'clicked into place'. For me this album is no different - stick with it and it can reward you handsomely. The songs (inc 2 instrumentals) from 1 to 8 are a nice length and very well arranged, and I feel they really grow on you the more you play them, and you find more hidden depth. Everyone is on top form and they all feel very 'natural'. However, for me (and some other reviewers) the real moment of genius is the final track 'Illumination Theory' and its beautifully constructed ebbs and flows and shades etc. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but for me personally this could well now be my favourite DT song ever - for me it has everything that I love about DT in one epic place. As another reviewer has previously said - I echo that I always want to find that rare piece of music that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck - and this song does it every time for me, I cannot stop playing it. This song and it's 5 'suites' perfectly round off a truly great album (in my opinion). I know of course that not everyone will agree, and that's what is great about music - that it is so subjective. So there it is, I feel this album is a real grower and does indeed flow very well once you've gotten into it, so please try to stick with it, as I feel it is well worth it and I feel it is one of their best albums.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 9:55 PM BST