Profile for Linda Ambrey > Reviews

The Whispering Bell
The Whispering Bell
by Brian Sellars

5.0 out of 5 stars Anglo Saxon drama in glorious detail, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Whispering Bell (Paperback)
A heart rendering tale of a young woman fighting for the survival of her family in times of war and deprivation. Beaten down at every turn she endures so much pain it becomes almost unbearable to continue reading this superb novel.
The author describes everything so clearly that the reader could almost imagine being at the heroine's side, seeing, touching, smelling and feeling all the wonderful, and the sometimes not so wonderful, things around her.
The ups and downs of this historical romantic novel will keep you enthralled until the last page.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. BRILLIANT!

Tuppenny Hat Detective
Tuppenny Hat Detective
by Brian Sellars

5.0 out of 5 stars a mystery wrapped in secrets long since buried, 21 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Tuppenny Hat Detective (Paperback)
It's been a long time since I've found a book with a storyline to hold me on the edge of my seat until the very last page but this book did just that. I couldn't put it down!

Tuppenny Hat Detective, with an 11 year old ruffian taking on the role of hero has taken me on a rollercoaster ride of childhood memories.

I too was born in Sheffield and this endeared me to young Billy as he struggled to solve a mystery wrapped in secrets long since buried.

I walked and ran with this young man through the streets of Walkley. I shared his compassion and his fear but at the same time felt his determination to complete the task he had set himself.

Against all the odds he persevered, a child in an adult world.

I would recommend this book to anyone who can read, young or old.

This book is the first for this author but I, for one, cannot wait for the next.