Profile for Kay > Reviews

The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Storyteller, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Jodi Picoult and have read all her published books to date. "The Storyteller" is a haunting, poignant tale set in present day America and during the Nazi reign. I don't want to say too much but the middle section of the book, set in Jewish ghetto and later a concentration camp had me sobbing!

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 29 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading Me Before You, I was so excited to see this in Vine. I found this book hugely compelling and read it within 24 hours. I liked how it was 2 lives interwoven by a single item. Moyes is fast becoming my favourite author!

AmazonBasics USB Cable 2.0 A-Male to B-Micro 6 Feet / 1.8 m
AmazonBasics USB Cable 2.0 A-Male to B-Micro 6 Feet / 1.8 m
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need., 12 Jan 2013
I wanted a long cable as the one with my Samsung Galaxy S3 was far too short (and my proper - as in not a USB put in a plug - S2 charger barely charged it) I like to be able to mess around on my phone while it's charging but more importantly I use both Netflix & SkyGo and given they're both such battery drainers it was a pain having to stop the film/programme I was watching which I charged the battery up some.

I had intended just to buy a cheap USB cable but there were reviews stating that while they were fine for transferring data they wasn't powerful enough to charge a smart phone. Despite never owning any of Amazon's electronics and the quite high price for what is just a USB I decided to give it a go. In Amazon's defence though I am so used to paying, well nothing, for microUSB's as we have hundreds floating around the house that it could just be me.

The cable itself is very thick which I like as it doesn't get knotted and tangled in my bag the same way thinner ones do and it is plenty long. It charges my phone up in around the same time the cable that came with Samsung did which was a plus as I would've accepted and been happy with (slightly) longer charging time for the length of it.

I'm thinking of buying another one; one for charging at home and the other for the charger I carry around in my bag (as typically if I take it out to use at home, I then forget it and I am left charger-less while out and about!)

Some people have commented they don't last but frankly, if I get 3-6 months out of it then I will be quite happy. I am the mobile-phone-attached-to-your-hands-or-ear generation and I charge my S3 twice a day so it gets plenty of use. Possibly I have low expectations but I'm also of the generation where things are no longer built to last!

Wildthorn
Wildthorn
by Jane EAGLAND

4.0 out of 5 stars Really very good., 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Wildthorn (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't read much historical fiction but the premise of this novel intrigued me. People in Victorian mental asylum's were treated cruelly and inhumanly which is about all I know on the subject and I thought this may be an interesting.

You really feel contempt for the people for the characters who treat Louisa and others into the asylum and such overwhelming empathy for Louisa. I liked the mystery aspect of the novel too; alternating between the present day in the asylum and Louisa's past - leading up to what and who landed her in there. Like other reviewers the person I thought sent her there, I was wrong about so full marks for the lack of predictability.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

I Married You For Happiness
I Married You For Happiness
by Lily Tuck
Price: 9.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 3 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was intrigued by the title of this more than anything else because it's original and different.

It's a very short book; Nina's husband of 40-something years dies unexpectedly which leads Nina to think about their life together. It's basically a series of memories from their life and marriage.

Another reviewer states this book lacks emotion and I agree. It's well written and enjoyable enough but I was to FEEL that they "married for happiness" not just be told this is the case.

The Kingdom of Childhood
The Kingdom of Childhood
by Rebecca Coleman
Price: 6.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 2 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well. I was looking forward to reading this as I found the concept of "forbidden love" between a teacher and a student interesting while not being something I understand. However, the synopsis is misleading as she isn't HIS teacher, she's just A teacher which kind of takes away some of the shine, for me.

Unfortunately I couldn't really get passed that and although it was well written, it could've been so much more.

The World's Most Extraordinary People ... And Me
The World's Most Extraordinary People ... And Me
by Mark Dolan
Price: 9.74

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this!, 2 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After watching Mark on C4, I found him personable and likeable. I enjoyed the extreme's on the world's "extraordinary people" and although other reviewers see this as somewhat as a blokes book, I'm a female so don't let that put you off!

Mark comes across just as well on paper as he does on the telly. He's chatty and, as I said, likeable. If you enjoyed the series and want to delve a bit deeper then I would recommend this.

Private Lives
Private Lives
by Tasmina Perry
Price: 12.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Private Lives (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've enjoyed Tasmina Perry's books ever since her debut "Daddy's Girls" a few years back. This was no exception. As usual there was a large cast that at first it can be confusing but you catch on who belongs to whom quicker than you think!

It's a perfect beach read as it's not too taxing on the brain but despite that is still compelling.

Anna is a great character; a celebrity lawyer whose been unlucky in love - something we can all relate to and sympathise with. A big case comes up and it all goes horribly wrong for Anna which is where the mystery comes in. Was it Anna's fault or is she being used as a scapegoat because she's new and relatively inexperienced? The reader quite clearly sees it's the latter and she was set up to take the blame.

I found the uncovering of the mystery riveting and I was so rooting for Anna.

The Good Father
The Good Father
by Diane Chamberlain
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars New favourite author..., 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Good Father (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I discovered Diane Chamberlain about a year ago and have since read all her published (in the US) books. She rapidly became my new favourite author - I read "The Midwife's Discovery" and "The Lost Daughter" both in one sitting. Chamberlain is often compared to Jodi Picoult (whom I'm also a fan of) and though I can see why, I think it's a lazy comparison. Though there are often moral dilemma's faced within both author's books, for me Chamberlain's are much more common and relatable.

"The Good Father" is about Travis, a young single dad to his 4 year old daughter Bella. Bella's mother is out of the picture and Travis is quite clearly a great dad who worships his little girl until tragedy happens, Travis loses his job and his home and mother in a house fire. Homeless, desperate and with no one to turn to, Travis is forced to take on a job; the wrong thing for the right reasons... but what does he do with Bella? Interwoven is the character of Erin who's suffering her own personal grief and Bella's mother, Robyn. Naturally, there's a couple of bad guys thrown in for the reader to hate.

I really loved this book. I didn't read it in one sitting but in less than 24 hours! I especially loved Bella's dialogue. As an adult I imagine it's hard to write in a child's voice and so many author's no matter how talented fail at this because they make them "too old" and for anyone who is around children it can spoil the story slightly are how unrealistic it was. But I found Bella to be your average 4 year old; she's funny, cute, smart and inquisitive. Chamberlain writes such wonderful, well rounded characters who're - like Travis - both brave but still entirely human. They make mistakes but they're just trying to do the best they can. Sometimes I find that when characters make what you know is going to be a glaringly obvious mistake (Travis taking the job) it can be very frustrating but I never find this with Diane's books, I am always rooting for them to overcome whatever it is.

I would recommend everyone reads this and then start on the remainder of Diane's books!

The Patchwork Marriage
The Patchwork Marriage
by Jane Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Patchwork Marriage (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a HUGE Jane Green fan for years and have read all her books so I was beyond excited when I saw this available in the Vine programme. I'm sad to say I was also disappointed.

"The Patchwork Marriage" is the story of Andi who married Ethan 5 years ago and is, well, desperate for a child. Ethan, as it happens, has 2 daughters. 12 year old too-good-to-be true Sophia who warmed to Andi pretty much the second they met and willful, stubborn teenage Emily, who didn't. I pretty much guessed the "bombshell" before I'd even read the first page, I read a lot of chick-lit and they're always rather predictable which I don't mind as long as the story is good.

Now Green is living in America, now she's a mother and a wife her storylines have changed. The single girl about town to suburban wife wasn't necessarily a bad thing (I enjoyed "Spellbound") but she's become so American. Gone are the sharp observations and cutting one liners from the "Jemima J" days, it's all very sentimental, sappy dialogue very much like her previous book. The other (BIG) issue I had was with the characters - I didn't like Andi and I thought her reaction to Emily's "news" was selfish and ridiculous. Green tries to portray her as this caring, kind woman we're all supposed to fall in love with but that isn't the case. Ethan was weak and was in desperate need of a backbone, I found him so frustrating. Sophia was one-dimensional, it was like Green used her as a voice of reason character - she's 12, give me a break! Even though Emily was supposed to be the "baddie" of the book, I actually felt a great deal of sympathy for although her miraculous personality change from demon child to mature, reasonable grown up was unrealistic. Frankly, if I had the parents and stepmother she did I'd probably be a bit of a brat too.

I did read this in 24 hours so it was obviously compelling enough hence the 3 stars. However I do miss her earlier books and despite the lack of love I felt for the characters, without the gooey American writing which I'm sorry, I just can't take seriously, I would've given an extra star.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7