Profile for mr hornsby > Reviews

Content by mr hornsby

mr hornsby "mr hornsby" (London, UK)

Devotion
Devotion

5.0 out of 5 stars It's one of those rare albums, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Devotion (Audio CD)
I just love this. I've had it for at least two months now, and I still want to listen to it in its entirety all the time (these days, most albums get around 3 listens from me before they disappear into shuffle mode). This kind of album doesn't come along very often. And really, can you get a better recommendation than that?

I'd put this up there with other personal landmarks such as Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's 'Ease Down the Road' and Cat Power's 'The Covers Record'.

I think it's the choruses that do it for me. The melodies have this warm and haunting tone. They're just perfect to listen to when you want to wind down (perhaps with a couple of little drinkies?) and leave you feeling blissful and lovey. Who could complain about that?

I'm already checking out their other stuff on Spotify (record companies note: this makes it more likely that I will buy stuff in future) and making plans to catch them live.

Epcot Starfields
Epcot Starfields

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Boom is a winner, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Epcot Starfields (MP3 Download)
I heard, Big Boom, the second track from this album on my favourite internet radio station that is dedicated to John Peel. This was followed, in no speedy fashion, by an album purchase based on the strength of one song.

And that song is a winner. It will give a lift to any playlist that you care to add it to. It's light yet worldly, it has a bouncing beat to make you want to stand up and cheer and inevitably makes me think of the Flaming Lips at their joyous best.

As can happen with my more impulsive buys, I had a bad initial reaction to the rest of the songs, and after a couple of listens I haven't gone back to them. This may well just be a very personal thing, so I'd still recommend at least a listen so that you can decide if it's your cup of tea. And get Big Boom for the good of your playlists.