Profile for C. MacLeod > Reviews

Content by C. MacLeod

C. MacLeod (Austin, Texas)

Nestlé Smarties 38 g
Nestlé Smarties 38 g
Offered by Leevio UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Very expensive for a single tube of smarties, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Nestlé Smarties 38 g (Grocery)
I would give 0 stars if I could.

The item is not 4 tubes as shown in the photographs. I received only a single pack of smarties - for nearly £5!

The Making of Karateka
The Making of Karateka

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiration, 27 Jan. 2014
I've tried many times to write a video game, but I've always been dissatisfied with the results, and given up fairly early on. Jordan's journals (both Karateka and Prince of Persia) have really inspired me. I'm amazed how long it took him, start to finish, and I really admire his staying power and sense of purpose. What's more, I found this a thoughtful, thought provoking and entertaining read. Can't ask for much more than that.

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - Includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)
Rocksmith 2014 Edition - Includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Way to Learn Bass, 22 Nov. 2013
I was surprised to see so many negative reviews here - for me, Rocksmith 2014 has been nothing short of excellent. And a hoot to boot.

Having enjoyed Guitar Hero back in the day, I bought the original Rocksmith and thought it was a fun game. However, Rocksmith 2014 is a completely different experience.

It's not just a game and can really teach you to play guitar - or bass.

Before this, I've been learning with Guitar Pro tab. I find Rocksmith 2014 more intuitive. I especially like the ability to slow/repeat a section of the song (riff repeater), which was the feature I missed most in the original Rocksmith.

What's neat about RS2014 is there is so much going on to hold your interest. If you're finding a particular section hard, once you're tired of practising you can always have a break and try one of the lessons. The lessons cover everything from holding the guitar to advanced technique. Each one is broken down into easy sections and you're shown a clear video of an experienced player which you then copy. If you find a section hard, it picks up on this and adapts the example to give you an easier version the first few times you take that lesson. I feel it's really helped my technique.

You can also play one of the mini arcade games - to help you to learn fretting, or slides, say. Or you can just have a random jam up and down a scale in "Session mode".

In short, it's a brilliant teacher. I bought it originally on the Xbox, and then liked it so much I bought it again on Steam to use on a Macbook Air (my kids tend to hog the Xbox). No problems at all for me with the Steam version - despite all the negative reviews. I have a pretty hefty network connection, so maybe that helps. It does seem to thrash the Mac CPU quite a bit - the fans go all the time, but I have no problems with the Steam or Uplay servers.

The multiplayer has potential too. My little girl is learning lead guitar, and we've had a couple of shots playing together on the Xbox together, her lead with me on bass, which is really neat.

I've bought several of the extra songs and really enjoyed learning simpler versions of songs I'd never be able to tackle any other way. For example, I still have no hope of playing the full score of "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers (aka "Top Gear" theme) but I can just about take on the "Medium" version of the song. That already sounds pretty passable. It's fun and gets me that bit closer to learning the piece in full.

I've been using Rocksmith 2014 for about 2 weeks now, and can really see an improvement in my playing.

Mores the point, I'm loving it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for - no delivery issues here, 25 Oct. 2013
I was advised to use Sinupret by a doctor when I was living in Austria. It seems to be the only thing which completely sorts out my sinus problems.

Since coming back to the UK, I've not been able to source it and this was a great find. I ordered 4 packets on Amazon. Previously, I have been using the Sinupret drops but these tablets seem to work just as well for me and they're more convenient/quicker.

I see a previous review has complained they had problems with delivery - this wasn't my experience. I'm about to re-order as I have run out.

The Associate
The Associate
by John Grisham

2.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, thrilling, and then... ...not much, 31 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Associate (Hardcover)
Have read several Grisham novels and, to be honest, found them a little hit and miss.

"The Associate" was a fantastic read all the way through. It was feeling like a substantial 'hit'. There are several plot twists, a protagonist you could empathise with, several surprises and a mounting hope for the hero's redemption.

It's a gripping read... ...right till the end, which is extremely deflating. There is no end: a lot of loose ends, and several threads left unfinished. Was the publisher pushing too hard for the book to be finished? Did Grisham lose track of all the threads? Did he just get bored? Like the outcome for "The Associate" himself, we'll probably never know.

Kids in the Cockpit: A Pilot Book to Safe and Happy Sailing with Children
Kids in the Cockpit: A Pilot Book to Safe and Happy Sailing with Children
by Jill Schinas

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful guide to all aspects of sailing with kids, 1 Mar. 2009
I ordered this book after seeing a recommendation on one of the yachting magazines.

Although perhaps more based on the experience of ocean going live-aboards, it still provides a very rounded view of all types of sailing with kids. (I'm interested in weekend family cruising and it certainly covered that well.)

It covers everything from nappies and feeding to lifejackets and harnesses, through keeping kids from getting board, to the different carriers and pushchairs you can use when you do go ashore.

The tone is generally not preachy, and that's a good thing. The author highlights the approach she and her partner have taken, and contrasts it with the experience of other people they met along the way.

The book covers kids of all ages, from babies right through to teenagers. It's been a great help to me, in planning for sailing with my own two kids (one 2 weeks, the other 2 years old).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2009 12:10 PM BST

Java 2 Programmer Exam Cram 2 (Exam Cram CX-310-035): Exam Cram 310-035
Java 2 Programmer Exam Cram 2 (Exam Cram CX-310-035): Exam Cram 310-035
by William Brogden

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for revisiing for Job Interviews, 22 May 2008
I use this book regularly, before going for job interviews.

It's common these days to be given a written exam or test as part of the interview. These tests often quiz you on method signatures and various Java conventions. You may have used Java for many years, relying on code completion and google for reference - if that's the case, and if you're anything like me you'll probably make a lot of silly mistakes in these interview exams. (For me, this seems particularly true of the threading questions.)

This book has been a fabulous help to me. I use the mock exam on the CD to revise every time I get into the interview cycle.