Profile for Susan Appleby > Reviews

Content by Susan Appleby

Susan Appleby "snooze" (ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lip Service - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Lip Service - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruta Gedmintas

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show - mild spoiler, 23 Jun. 2014
I have seen this show a few times over now at this stage over a while and never seem to get bored of it. Its not the L word though some of the characters can be compared a little bit. This show is way more edgy and dark. when it gets serious it is brutal. Some characters really get a raw deal, Frankie in particular. There is no glitter or glam like there is in the l word and some of the girls just get hurt over and over again. This has a much more real feel to it. I love the l word and I'm a huge fan but for a different reason. Plus its a lot shorter then the l word so its not really fare to compare....ha that rhymes.

I appreciate some of scenes in this series, especially the second one, where you know what is going to happen, you have already seen it but it still shocks you and gets a reaction at the most unlikely spot, I really didn't see it coming at all. Every time I see it my hands go straight up to my mouth. I have seen it a few times and its always the same. such a killer moment I love it.

it also might get people to realise that they should watch where they are going before they take a stroll across the road. I see so many people do it all the time, they have their eyes stuck into their iPhones or whatever. You HAVE to look where you are going and not at your stupid phone. check your text message when you get ACROSS the damn road. Its amazing some people have to be told this....sigh anyway.

Its a real shame they don't make a third season I really loved lexy. The thing about this show is that you can pick your fav character but they seem to change a lot so your sympathy keeps shifting from one to the other.
I must say Cat was my favourite, though her character is such an idiot at the start. she just flails all over the place, which kind of reminds me of myself when dealing with women lol. They kind of have that effect sometimes, probably because they are so nuts....yeah women are crazy. They are not for everyone but its why I love them so much.

Then there is Tess, Christ that girl is funny and sometimes so tragic you want to rescue her from being taken advantage of....ugh you know what.. I just love all the characters I really do they all have such amazing moments that stand out. Some change, they go up and down and you end up not liking them as much as before, for example - Sadie has so many different sides to her its hard to keep up with who she is but the more I saw her the more I loved her. At the start she has this F you attitude but by the time you get to the end of season 2 she starts to show her more vulnerable side and I found it quite heart breaking to watch.

Frankie, I loved her at the start but got really frustrated with her by the time...you know what happens. Such a cop out, I would never do that to friends. There is always a way around these things. Then again I understand her reasons for doing it too...kind of.

For a show they have seriously good diversity when it comes to this area so you are never bored. That is very important to me....obviously. Its a really good show and I wold recommend it to anyone who is not offended by women showing affection towards each other, it is a TV show about lesbians. It is short and NOT the L word. there are a few episodes on YouTube so you can check out some of them if you are not sure. For me...I should have bought this box set a long time a go.

Add to basket.

Mary Poppins [DVD]
Mary Poppins [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this as a kid, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great musical and gave me a serious heads up not to ever trust a banker haha. I was, however, almost indirectly linked to a near accident. Since I loved Mary Poppins so much I actually thought that if I jumped off the top of the landing down the stairs with my umbrella I could safely float down to the bottom. Luckily enough my parents called me to dinner and I forgot about it after that. I would have had two broken legs if I went ahead with it.

lol besides that....awesome movie for kids. love the laughing on the roof part its deadly.

Heartbeat Of Home: Live From Dublin [DVD] [2014]
Heartbeat Of Home: Live From Dublin [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ John McColgan
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 18 Jun. 2014
This show is just so lovely and loads of fun to watch. It is hard to believe some of the things that these wonderful young dancers can do with their bodies. All gloves came off for this one for sure.

The Irish dancing in this is superb and full of jaw dropping movies including mid air heel kicks..wow. the precision of stops and stars is so good its actually a bit scary. its really cool when the boys get their dance on....they are superb. The producers and directors involved decided to grab the best dancers from around the world and bring them all together to see what they are made of. Its not just Irish dancers but lots of others that are in the mix.

This is an obvious sequel to riverdance, it has the same sort of vibe but its contents has been changed. now you don't just have single forms of dance at a time or single forms of music. Everything and everone is thrown together in the songs and mix all styles together, its crazy. Sometimes there is so much going on the stage its hard to keep an eye on what ever single dancer is doing.

That is one thing that kind of annoyed me. I love watching dancers and some of the camera shots had zoomed in on the lead singer and I was screaming to see what was going on with the dancers. I know the singer is amazing and has such a beautiful voice but I can LIISTEN to her while watching the dancers too. I really didn't care what she looked like at that moment. it was a beautiful contemporary part at the start of the show and I missed half of it because I was looking at the singer. It really got on my nerves.

There are some very clever themes in this show, its very dream like with lots of emotion. They also make the band a much bigger part of the show. they actually get up after everyone is off stage and have a party with he audience and that was just so brilliant. im sure everyone went home dancing after that.

the visuals are ok in some of the parts and amazing in others. there is a 180 degree wrap screen that is on the back of the stage. this has HD movie images projected onto it to compliment certain dances. I thought the best one was the storm, you can see the ocean flowing all over the stage floor under the dancers. it was amazing. I didn't like the one with the bird because it looked obviously not real. Birds DONT fly like that lol.

If there is anyone out there that loved riverdance and missed this show, don't even think twice about getting this, it is extremely entertaining. You wont believe the talent that has been collected up here in one show. The singing, dancing and music is just mind blowing.

there is also some bonus features that are worth looking at. I loved the Giants Causeway part.

Lord of the Dance [DVD]
Lord of the Dance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Flatley

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing show - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for region 2, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Lord of the Dance [DVD] (DVD)
I found this on you tube a while back and wanted to buy it on dvd. Region 1 is about 5 or 6 quid, region 2 is almost 60.

psh...sorry but I don't love the show that much. It is such an a mazing show and I will keep an eye out to see if this price goes down. no way am I paying 50+ quid for a standard dvd. but I will buy it when it is cheaper thank you very much.

Riverdance [5 DVD Set]
Riverdance [5 DVD Set]
Dvd ~ Various Artists

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Riverdance Fans, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Riverdance [5 DVD Set] (DVD)
This is Riverdance - NOT LORD OF THE DANCE - you will not find Michael Flatley in this show it is totally different and separate, though he is in some of the documentary interviews on the "ten years of" disc.

It has new lead dancers, lots of singing, lots of musical instruments. It is very different to Lord of the dance (which is mostly upbeat Irish dancing with Michael and his intimidating back up army dancers). This is much more like a musical.

Riverdance is a wonderful show with plenty of colour and rich sound. The sense of spirit in the narration is truly inspiring and heart felt. it sometimes can break your heart when you get to the part where everyone has to leave Ireland. The singing is quite impressive and powerful. The dancing is nothing short of incredible it is very entertaining. There is not only Irish dancing in this but also add Spanish, American and Russian dancers (one of my fav parts of the show). The band are a large part of the show too with a few solo acts mixed in with others that come in during acts ect. All very impressive and entertaining.

I especially enjoyed the dancing party just before they leave Ireland, everyone starts partying and going crazy dancing around in circles. its a really close look at any old school traditional Irish party. kind of like the feel you get from the movie Titanic when Jack and Rose are down in the lower decks. Super fun to watch.

There is also documentaries and extra "best of" discs along with 3 separate located shows in full. all the same just in different locations. I was lucky enough to grab this for a serious bargain during the closing down of a show and got the entire box set for 5 quid.

I have seen this show on dvd a number of times but has remained in second place behind Flatley's Show. I will still give it 4 stars because it is extremely impressive but it was just not my thing. There is way too much singing in it and the tempo is brought down on a number of occasions. I cant help but compare it to Flatleys tense and consistent upbeat version of Irish dancing.

I just find LOTD is more exciting, sexy and edgy. Riverdance kind of reminds me of the Eurovision that geos on for 2 hours. But the mixing of cultures in so amazing to see too, I was happy to see them all dancing together and makes sense considering our modern economy.

If you are more into singing then I would grab this. in fact I would encourage people to check it out regardless because it is very VERY good. I am very happy that I have it in my collection because I'm a nut for anything Irish or Celtic so I will keep the box set. The collection of talent that goes along with this show is truly amazing. You can see how much work went into it and the stress that they must have gone through while touring the globe. But they got their rewards and then some. The whole planet NOW knows what Irish dancing is and they have changed that forever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 1:27 PM BST

Michael Flatley Returns as Lord of the Dance 3D [Blu-ray 3D + Blu Ray]
Michael Flatley Returns as Lord of the Dance 3D [Blu-ray 3D + Blu Ray]
Dvd ~ Michael Flatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Reduced to tears, 15 Jun. 2014
I really didnt realise how amazing this show was going to be. I have just watched it on youtube and added it to my amazon basktet without a second thought. The interview before the show stars is really appreciated too. There are so many stupid rumours flying around and it was so nice to actually see him in a new light.

This is a guy with a huge task, huge passion and such a beautiful vision of irish culture. This "general" has taken on the world with an ARMY of dancers behind him. Without them he would be nothing and he knows it (& visa versa). The perfectionist in him and these beautiful dancers has brought an incredible journey for the world to see. Honestly if there was anyone to have the right to an ego its Flatley lol. You just have to appreciate the insane amount of hard work it took to put this all together.

The emotion, energy and story has been SO amped up in this show. There is state of the art backing screens and lighting, the costumes are so fitting and really add the story. While i was watching it i was shocked and so moved by what i was seeing. i was yelling, wooting and crying. im so proud that Flatley came back to Dublin with such a KILLER show. He was always the one who had that amazing vision of irish culture and heart. I have seen all the other shows but they simply dont compare to how i feel about this particular story. Its pure irish and that is why it is so sacred to me.

just brace yourselves for the show of a lifetime. Flatley...if you are reading this, thank you so much for keeping Irish lore sacred and special. Fair play to you,congradulations on finding your dream and sharing it with the entire planet (all sold out btw)....standing ovation for sure.

A gazillion stars out of ten

Update - 20/6/14 - STILL BUYING THE BLU RAY FOR SURE ....BUT AS A HEADS UP!!!
Just saw a sneak preview of the 2014/15 show that I was going to get a ticket for. It looks like they have completely taken out any pipes from the soundtracks and replaced them with electric guitar. I was almost sick when I heard this watching the warriors entrance. I will keep an eye out for any changes just in case this is a once off. If there is no change I am NOT going to this gig. The "gypsy" song has been shredded too. That lovely song (one of my favourites)has also been replaced with some Spanish guitar number. NOT COOL! - if I was about to spend stupid money on a gig (which I would if they kept it the way it always was) I would like to know what it will be like.

127 Hours [DVD]
127 Hours [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant movie, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: 127 Hours [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this again last night, its been a while since I have seen it. Even after seeing it twice it still got me. You know what is going to happen but it is still fascinating to think of how you would react if that happened to you. It is kind of sad to see the shock on his face when he realises what is happening, that he is not the master of the universe. even though he is in his second home it can still get into serious trouble. another sad part is when he realises that he never told anyone, huge message to anyone going on an adventure by themselves...ALWAYS tell someone where you are going.

as far as the arm cutting scene goes, I thought it was fantastic and realistic. since the blood supply would have been cut off for days by the pressure from the rock it is close to what it would have been like. the one part that really made me cringe is when the knife touches the nerve strand the first time. you can only imagine how much that would hurt in real life so the high pitched sound is very accurate and makes sense to me. it makes you grit your teeth omg its super tense.

James Franco is amazing in this movie. I would recommend adding this to anyone's collection.

Maleficent [DVD]
Maleficent [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie

5.0 out of 5 stars very charming movie - spoilers in this review, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Maleficent [DVD] (DVD)
went to see this in the cinema lastnight and i honestly smiled all the way through it, exept for one little part that was very sad. This is a really good for kids and adults. Jolie, again delivers a masters performance and is such a joy to watch. Her character has been tweaked in this movie so she is not the horrible evil witch that everyone thinks she is. The truth is she is a fairy with huge black wings (looove those wings), and defender of her land. She is betrayed by someone she trusted because some idiot had his ego bruised and said his avenger will be the next successor to the thrown. Her betrayl is very hard to watch, she is in so much pain and sorry, screaming it out. when she learns to truth she gets REALLY mad. should she have just let them get away with it?

plenty of good lessons here for kids. always watch your actions when you get really mad or angry at someone. some things you do are extremely hard to undo. people get caught in the crossfire and get badly effected.

there are a few moments that really got me in the movie. One is when baby Aurora starts to grow up and starts to nag malificent to pick her up. it was just the most adorable scenes iv seen in a long time. The cliff scene was brillant too. The whole movie is fantastic but i just love the way Malificent interects and watches over Aurora in her early years its so cute and quite funny at times. the mud fight was awsome i cant wait to see that again.

I would recommend this movie to anyone really its funny, charming, magical, sad at times and can be very surprising too. She watches over Aurora as she is growing up and would do anything to protect her. there is nothing evil about this woman, sure she curses a child and all but she did so because she was blinded by hate and revenge. i dont think that makes her evil really. she almost turns into her mother at one point. Naturaly she realises her mistake and regrets cursing her but when she tries to undo it she is reminded that only a true loves kiss can break it. a true loves kiss has to be pure, so what happens if there is no such thing?

this movie had a twist like the movie frozen did. The prince, though he is lovely looking and charms the pants off Aurora he is useless and so is his kiss, the king is just pure nuts and hates Maleficent for reasons i have no idea, I think she just scares him. He is the one that did the evil in the first place. Disney has this thing going on at the moment where men seem to be more the villians or are just plain useless. The women in these movies seem to be given all the power and are the heros. its a nice change now these days where all the powers of the world seem to be men. we need some maleficents in politics i think.

Oh and by the way for all of you people out there that seem to be slamming Ellen fanning you are wrong about her. She has such a wonderful spirit and it shines in every scene in this movie. I loved her and I am so happy she got a shot at her dream role. Some of you forget that she was co staring with one of the biggest female actors on this planet, Christ give the girl a bit of slack. I found myself being under her spell to be honest. She really did have one of the most genuine loving smiles I have seen on set. I think she was truly wonderful in this movie and will be keeping an eye out for her later movies if she is given the chance. Some of you said horrible things about her saying she was average looking - Aurora is supposed to be 15 years old, what the hell were you looking for? The 23 something looking year old in the original cartoon? Some reviewers can be extremely harsh and don't realise how much they can hurt with their opinions. Ellen if you are reading this you were fantastic in this role and I am glad they picked you.

this movie is very good for kids, the story is told through a narator throuout the movie. some parts will have you in stitches laughing. i never realised how good a sense of humour Maleficent actually has, she is actually quite funny. finaly i do believe that this movie is worth buying on bluray, its a really good journey that i want to go through again some day when it comes out. so many scenes i want to see again.

5/5 stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2014 6:54 PM BST

Hard Candy [DVD]
Hard Candy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Wilson
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant movie, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Hard Candy [DVD] (DVD)
Super performances from both Page and Wilson, they work really well together. This is a great, tense thriller that will have you thinking back and forth, questioning your moral. I actually watched this one twice in a row I was so impressed with it. I think I was in a bit of shock by the time the whole thing was over. This only happens with a very few handful of movies. I didn't want to do ANYTHING else but to experience the movie again straight away. I love Patrick Wilson's character here, he is very impressive. This was the first Ellen Page movie I had seen and she absolutely owns this movie - she's just so damn good in this movie and takes no prisoners...Full stars.

buy this and add it to your collection.
Its fantastic.

TRESemmé Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Shampoo - 900 ml
TRESemmé Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Shampoo - 900 ml
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 15 May 2014
this shampoo is something else. I keep forgetting that you only need a very small amount from this "moisture rich" shampoo. Seriously you don't need that much at all it gets very lathered with a small amount. it leaves your hair very soft and smelling lovely. I am most certainly stocking up on this stuff its a worthy shampoo.
The green (deep cleaning)one is different and you require a bit more per wash but the blue one is super thick. my scalp and hair are very happy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20