Profile for Kukuna > Reviews

Offered by Babz Media
Price: 1.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete rubbish, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Memory Foam Insoles
I ordered these insoles to allow my feet a bit more comfort in a pair of trainers a bit generous in size and because I sometimes have painful heals. I installed them and went out for a walk. At first things seemed good. After walking about 3 miles I came back home and had began to wonder what additional comfort still existed. When I took my shoes off the so called insoles had collapsed and scrunched up with zero memory as there wasn't enough left to have any memory. It was a bit like a soufflé collapsing completely.
What a disappointment and complete waste of time, money and effort to find something which would make my feet more comfortable. My memory foam has become a small pile of useless pellets. They didn't even last one outing.

Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
by Rose Elliot
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone - uncomplicated and practical, 5 Dec 2011
I bought the original book some 27 years ago - and as it is falling apart at the seams bought this new one. I am not a vegetarian though I mainly eat modest quantities of chicken, turkey and fish. But I am retired, on a modest pension, live on my own, and can't afford the time, energy, snazzy equipment or exotic ingredients detailed in a lot of the cheffy books. I also want to eat lots of vegetables as they are healthy - using whatever is cheap in the market, in season, is growing in my garden patch or what I have on hand already. Rose's recipes give ideas for just about every kind of dish with every common ingredient. They are delicious, and easy to make - and give you lots of ideas for options and the encouragement to try creative approaches. I think it has around 1000 recipes - the original did - and I have never been at a loss trying to find something yummy to cook with what I had available or could buy easily. So it is my desert island book. I love some of the other books (eg. by Nigel, Hugh, Jamie) but this is No. 1 - and if I crave chicken or fish I can always add them to one of Rose's excellent recipes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 11:39 AM GMT

The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
by Joe Nesbo

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gruesome for me, 23 Nov 2011
There is much to admire about this book - and much to dislike. I am one of those people who cannot watch a horror film or anything too violent and nasty. For me the dark, nasty side dominated the book and while in my life I have had to cope with some not very nice people and situations, this was too, too unpleasant even in fiction. Life is pretty difficult for most people in the world, so I have got to the place where I would rather read about more positive solutions to real problems rather than just exercise my nerves. I loved the Stieg Larson books which were a bit over the top - but somehow they had more positive notes running through. Maybe the book is more a bloke's book - it is the only Nesbo book I am ever going to read.

A Journey
A Journey
by Tony Blair
Price: 25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A complex world needs better understanding, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: A Journey (Hardcover)
I got my copy of this book through a book seller friend, and decided to read it because of all the hype and because I am a dual national of both the US and UK and a close follower of the politics on both sides of the Atlantic.

Also, as a long term student of world history and society, I was against the Iraq war passionately from the beginning - for the usual reasons ( the unilateral approach, the lack of genuine UN support, the lack of real knowledge about Iraqui weapons, etc). But as importantly, I felt that the wider and long term consequences could have been anticipated to great extent and did not appear to have been considered. I was early on horrified to find out that little post-war planning had taken place and felt the same when Mr. Blair confesses in his book that the most negative outcomes had not been anticipated when this was so clearly possible.

People started writing about war and it's whys and hows from at least the time of Sun Tzu (The Art of War) many centuries before the birth of Christ. Throughout history is much wisdom to draw on. The history of the Middle East is as convoluted and complex as anywhere you can find - and loyalty to family, tribe,culture, specific branches and sects of Islam or other religions, community solidarity, and accurate and inaccurate views of key Western countries more important than some unshared view of the touted benefits of Western Democracy. (Western Democracy in any case comes in huge variety, for example not much to the benefit of the poorest underclasses in the USA.)

Mr. Blair admires Mr. Bush's inclination te see things clearly and follow his intuition which was "more about what he thought was right or wrong." He has moved more towards this approach to life and politics himself - in common to the more fundamentalist end of the religious and/or political spectrum. So hugely complex and changing situations are less likely to be seen as finely balanced, of having wide ripple effects and consequences which may be unseen but should be considered and planned for. Mr. Blair and Mr. Bush do not understand history or how complexity works and we are all the worse for it - both now and in the future.

Most readers will share the goal of trying to make a better world - this book shows how politicians with a lack of both historical knowledge and understanding of complexity combined with arrogance do not help to get us there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2010 12:58 PM BST

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
by President Barack Obama

5.0 out of 5 stars We are all more alike than different, 15 Feb 2008
This is a superb chronicle of self-discovery, and I can understand why Barack Obama now seems both comfortable with himself, and with others, however "different" they may be. I'm not used to politicians (he wasn't one when he wrote this) being so honest, and illustrating how we all make mistakes and can learn from them. Inspiring from beginning to end.