ARRAY(0xadec0798)

Ultimate Reviewer (Earth)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars AVPR - "Stunning", 20 Feb 2008
When I went to the cinema I prayed that this film would be as good as the last. And oh my goodness!!!

Scary moments. At the start I wasn't fond of the "fade to black" type opening they did (recall Alien 3 and how bad that was when it started with such cuts) but after 5 minutes I knew we were in for a good film.

The characters - yea, they were not Schwarzenegger or Weaver - but have you all not noticed the change as these films have gone by. Alien and Predator has A list celebs, AVP had B list celebs and AVPR is moving to unknown C list celebs. But you know what - it didn't matter! The STORY was what the film was all about. The people in it were not what it was about. Had you got an A lister, it would have all been about them and not about the Alien and Predators. Remember War of the World with Tom Cruise. He needed to be in every scene which limited the story to a "running away from the baddies" flick.

You know the scene where the blond is stripping by the pool. I hated that scene. It was only one that went on too long I feel. The main character was the predator coming to save earth from the Aliens. That blond was just secondary. And if I wanted to see blonds stripping I would go watch American Pie or other such rubbish. I was here for the sci-fi on this one.

But they did right here what they did wrong in Terminator 3. They got the government involved in this movie! T3 made the mistake of redoing T2. I didn't want them to redo AVP. The nuclear bomb was the only thing they could do, and was the right decision.

The whole movie felt right to me. I don't know what others were expecting but I loved this. It continued right were the last movie left off - very cleaver - because at the end of the other one you didn't feel like it was "To Be Continued"; that was just a funny ending! There were so many predators on the ship it couldn't kill them. It was cleaver to have the predator's shooting accidentally crash the ship.

Definitely worth buying if you liked the others. It may not get great reviews, but then, look at the lousy movies on Amazon that do get great reviews. Reviews mean little.

I loved it. But you make your own decision.

The A-Team - The Ultimate Collection [DVD]
The A-Team - The Ultimate Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ The A-Team
Price: 38.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ha Ha Ha The First Reviewer Made Me Laugh, 26 Oct 2007
Boxset problems....

If you have a problem - if no one else can help - maybe you can hire - a new boxset from Amazon rentals.

Gotta laugh. I have them a season at a time.

No problmes what so ever with mine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2010 5:57 PM GMT

Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 58.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Steve From Warrington, 26 Oct 2007
Thanks to Steve from Warrington I have just saved myself near a 100.

I had no idea (and never even thought) that the episodes wouldn't have all the original music in them and figured they would be the same as on the BBC.

Thank you steve. There is no way I will buy this now.

P.S - Notice how your post rating a great comedy 2 stars got a string of helpful votes. 17 or 19 at present. Usually if you say a word out of place you get the "only 1 out of 23" found this helpful treatment. Gievn your stats, I would say a lot of people were shocked and saved a lot of money.

Are you listening BBC. Cheapos!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2007 11:33 AM GMT

Lifeforce [1985] [DVD]
Lifeforce [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Railsback
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifeforce - What A Shock!, 9 Oct 2007
This review is from: Lifeforce [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
I just watched this and couldn't have been more surprised - it was great.

That is where lots of producers go wrong. So many producers feel they can make up for a lousy story with computer graphics. But we don't care about how much you show off you with your fancy special computer effects - all we care about a good story - and boy this film had it - it is the most essential element of a good film. Questions were answered as you went through so as not to frustrate the viewer - and it worked.

It was excellent - and it was British!

The Complete One Foot in the Grave - Series 1-6 Plus Christmas Specials [DVD]
The Complete One Foot in the Grave - Series 1-6 Plus Christmas Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Wilson
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 40.34

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Don't Believe It, 9 Oct 2007
One Foot In The Grave is truly excellent entertainment. It is so much better than American Comedy where brainpower is limited to "one liners". If a joke goes on more than five seconds they don't get it as they have already forgotten the build up.

Where this differes is that it can take 20 minutes building up the joke throughout the show (with smaller jokes as you go) to the big laugh. I find that much more satisfying.

So why have I not bought it?

WARNING!
I have head from other online reviews that there is problems with this boxset. There apparantely is some episodes with no theme music and some episodes has the voices out of time with the pictures giving distorted picture and sound and ruining enjoyment. How did this happen? Why is it not re-released? I notice the price has come crasing down over the last two months. I just hope it is released again properly and then I can't wait to buy it.

Anyone else out there bought it and can confirm these problems or know if it will be released properly again? I know some other DVDs have been re-released when problems have been discovered.

5 stars the show. 2 stars the boxset.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Gyllenhaal Can Do Better, 28 Sep 2007
I have just read the in-depth reviews below about how it was well acted and a film about one woman's struggle etc etc blah blah blah!

To think - I only bought it because we get to see Maggie roll around on a bed topless in a pair of knickers.

I found the film - a little boaring to be honest.

Casino Royale (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [2006] [DVD]
Casino Royale (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by streetsahead
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbbbbbbishhhh!!, 28 Sep 2007
I went to the cinema to see this. What a waste of money! I KNEW it would be rubbish. They made him Bond because there was no one else in contention and because they saw him wear a tux at the end of that Cake Movie and it reminded people of Bond. (Were is the button for 0 stars?)

What the hell they are doing getting rid of Pierce B when he was happy to do more no one knows. And what was this time travel bit? He is before all the other bonds yet M is the woman - he drives a car from the future? What the hell is going on? I couldn't understand what time period we were supposed to be in.

He was lousy. I think most people don't want to admit it and reviewers out there in TV land don't want another bad bond so they all hyped it and said he was good. Get Pierce B back. Sort it out - like Sean C did after that other dismal bond - who actually - was better than this guy!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2008 11:54 PM GMT

Eyes Wide Shut [DVD] [1999]
Eyes Wide Shut [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Price: 3.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Eyes Wide Closed, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Eyes Wide Shut [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I have to say this is the poorest film that Nicole and Tom Cruise have been in. Before you all give me a bad rating due to saying that... come on.. you have to agree.

In the cinema they advertised the movie showing the scene of Nicole dancing in front of a mirror naked. I couldn't believe it was her at first and then Tom walks up. They advertised the names up as CRUISE, KIDMAN, KRUBRICK. I didn't know the last one. Then heard he did Full Metal Jacket which I liked and a few others that were also pretty good. But I wouldn't go OTT over him. 2001 was a space idiot-sy. 2010 - which he had nothing to do with - was excellent!

I have to say I agree with a review I just read. If you want to see nice clear shots of Nicole's brests then this movie is for you. They advertised it that way in the cinema and I bet that drew people into watch it. They were suckered. Yea there are lots of other women naked too but WOW!

For me I want a story. If the cast like running around naked then okay. Because we know how essential all that is to a story now don't we. It never is! That is why successful shows like Dallas oor BH 90210 could do relationships without nudity. So films don't need it either. But the directors think it will sell, they love to be able to say i worked with nicole kidman and got her filmed in nude (who wouldn't) and Kidman - well she never turns down a nude role. I think she finds it a turn on running around naked in front of all the cast. Nicole walking around in a part see through top with hard nipples! Oh come on!

As I'm sure you can imagine I was disappointed in the movie. A good stroy is what I want but this was just made for nudity appeal and that is wrong in my opinion.

In summary:

If you want a good story - watch something else and not this
If you want nudity - watch this
If you want nudity and a good story - watch the first 20 mins. After that it dies slowly.

Striptease (1996) [DVD]
Striptease (1996) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Demi Moore
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Scrap-Tease, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Striptease (1996) [DVD] (DVD)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Boy I bet Demi Moore regrets making this film. What an awful story. A mother needs the money so has to do some stripping which she would rather not do (of course!) and we are there with cameras to see all the action of her dancing topless in a thong.

So I am supposed to feel so sorry for her and can find some empathy with her character. Yea right!!!! Burt Renolds is totally awful in this film. He should be retired. Permantely!

The whole film is a living joke. At least in Showgirls they didn't pretned they didn't enjoy it. People say that is a bad film - but this doesn't just take the biscuit - it takes the whole packet.

Avoide if you want to watch a decent film.
Watch if you want to see Demi Moore make a fool of herself and have a laugh at her dancing topless.

Die Hard 4.0 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Die Hard 4.0 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars "Is The Circus In Town?", 28 Sep 2007
After watching the other three movies it was clear to me they should do a fourth - but would they ever? Years were passing by. Then suddenly there it was - Die Hard 4.0

The first one I have been able to go to the cinema to see (I couldn't get in to see the others!) and was worried I may be disappointed. I wasn't. I won't spoil it by telling you the plot but I think there is so much to take in with 2 hours of near none stop action that I think these movies get better the more times you watch them. I am looking forward to the DVD - even more than I was going to the cinema to see it the first time!!

Die Hard 3 was the same in those terms - At first I didn't like the sidekick aspect they were bring in by way of Sam L Jackson but now I think that makes that movie different from the first two - and different is good when making sequels. Not at Christmas - not a cop in a different city - summer in his own city. I love it and Sam L Jackson was of course excellent.

That brings me to his sidekick this time. Not as good as Sam L Jackson by a long shot in my opinion. Was he needed? Was it a repeat of DH3? Maybe he is hot stuff from some other movie but I had never seen him before. His best line though was "why are you so calm - have you done stuff like this before!" McClane just gives him one of his looks! Nah!

I don't think anyone will come on here not knowing what this movie is going to be about and saying "ooohh - Die Hard - what's that - I'd better read a review before I buy". But if there is anyone - all I can say is buy the Double Disk version. Accoring to the price right now it is 3 extra than the single disk version. So that is just 3 for all the extra features included.

McClane is older - technology has moved on without him - and it is about computers hence called Die Hard 4.0 - somehow I don't see McClane as the type to sit at a computer hacking away with compter code in this movie. I see him more as getting a hacksaw and smashing the computer to pieces.

Live Free - Die Hard - Harder - With A Vengeance - 4.0. Get em all!

Page: 1 | 2