Profile for Hawkeye > Reviews

Private Sydney
Private Sydney
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to keep my attention, 10 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Private Sydney (Paperback)
Very disappointing. James Patterson's reputation precedes him and was one of the factors in choosing this book. That and the fact that I have visited Sydney recently and was interested in a thriller set in the city. The plot lines never got a chance to develop because the chapters were infuriatingly short (mostly two pages) so there was never time for character or story development. The rate of oscillation between the two plots was headache-inducing with neither spiking my interest.
My typical reading time is the precious hour of the day I take for lunch but after struggling through 150 pages without exciting my appetite, I sent this back and turned my pallet towards something with a bit more flavour.

The Reversal
The Reversal
by Michael Connelly

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing by his own high standards, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Reversal (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Michael Connelly's books, especially those featuring maverick detective Harry Bosch so obviously, this latest offering appealed. Less so of defence lawyer turned prosector Mickey Haller but the plot seemed interesting enough and, based on his track record, I dived into "The Reversal" with great expectations.
As usual, Connelly's narrative moved along at a brisk pace and the storyline made the book hard to put down. There remained just enough ambiguity about the case, the witnesses and the defendant to maintain interest and keep the pages turning. Then, out of the blue came the change in direction of the plotline. (I had to check to see if I was reading the same book.) Suddenly, a tense well-written courtroom drama turned into something quite different. (Could this be the Reversal in the title?)
This book has an unnecessary denoument to what was building quite nicely into one of the best trial novels I've read. I'll continue to buy and eagerly digest future offerings from Michael Connelly but I wish he'd dispense with the fireworks and just get on with what he does best - write compelling drama and good solid detective novels.

The Shoes of the Fisherman [Region 2] [import]
The Shoes of the Fisherman [Region 2] [import]
Offered by Topbilliger

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 6 Feb. 2010
I have been looking for this film on DVD for ages and jumped at the chance to buy it when a Region 2 copy came on the market. One of my favourite films for many reasons, mostly because of the "behind-the-scenes" look at the the conclave which elects the Pope. It's very tastefully portrayed and, with clever editing using stock footage of a REAL Papal election (John XXIII), adds to the spectacle.

The scene where the new Pope goes AWOL is charming if a little implausible but if I had to have one gripe it would concern the rather tame way it dealt with the David Janssen character's affair. A little disappointing how that storyline fizzled out. Otherwise, this movie features top class performances from Anthony Quinn, Oskar Werner, Laurence Olivier, Leo McKern, Vittorio De Sica, David Janssen et al.

The DVD had few enough extras but given that the original movie was made in the late 1960s when there would hardly have been a demand for such luxuries, and the fact that most of the principals have now died, this omission could probably be excused.

The Men Commandments: The Bible for Blokes from the Daddy of Breakfast Radio
The Men Commandments: The Bible for Blokes from the Daddy of Breakfast Radio
by Christian O'Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars Nail on the head, 16 Oct. 2008
This book is laugh out loud funny. I don't listen to Virgin Radio so this is my first encounter with the wit and wisdom of Christian O'Connell. His commentary on the differences between men and women is sharp, accurate and observant. From the very start of the book, I found myself nodding in agreement with his wry observations and spot-on remarks. I recognise so many traits of both myself and my wife in this book. It's nice to know that nearly all men are basically the same. The only disagreement I have with him is that he hates cats. (I'm a cat person.)

Mysterious Woman
Mysterious Woman
Offered by Buks4less

4.0 out of 5 stars The eyes have it, 24 April 2006
This review is from: Mysterious Woman (Audio CD)
Marc sang this John Farry composition to represent Ireland in the 1997 Eurovision Song Contest. While the song itself is pleasant and well produced, it was Marc's onstage performance which sold it and catapulted him to second place in the contest (beaten only by the anthemic "Love Shine A Light" sung by Katrina and the Waves). The guy's got great eyes.

Oh and the second track on this CD, "The Word Goodbye" (one of Marc's own compositions) is the saddest song you will ever hear and worth buying the disc on its own.

The Ferguson Effect
The Ferguson Effect
by Harry Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars How does Harris do it?, 6 Sept. 2001
This review is from: The Ferguson Effect (Paperback)
How do you take the career of one of the most colourful and interesting of football characters and turn it into a book of such drivel? To say the style of writing was tedious would be akin to saying Amazon has a few books. The opening chapter was without form and constantly wandered off on non-sequential ramblings. A stream of conciousness which would suggest that Harris wasn't really paying too much attention to writing a book about a genuine football hero but merely cutting and pasting random thoughts and anecdotes in such a haphazard fashion as to bore the neutral and infuriate the admirer of one of football's greatest characters. At no time in the book were Harris' opinions of the least bit interesting, informative, novel or insightful and I am led to doubt that the author has ever even met Sir Alex such is the lack of substance in this book. Even the opinions and compliments of those quoted in the book seemed uninteresting and insincere. This I attributed to the editing.
For shame Mr. Harris. Had this been a school essay, it would surely have been awarded a big red "F".

The " Frasier" Scripts
The " Frasier" Scripts
by David Angell

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried laughing at this book., 20 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The " Frasier" Scripts (Paperback)
Even now, I can recall passages from the scripts and snigger involuntarily. Each character is brilliantly crafted, developed and cast. The distribution of achingly funny lines (and strangely, even funnier silences) is democratic so that everyone gets a chance to make you roll about on the floor with mirth. However, I can't let this opportunity pass without singling out Niles as the undisputed star in a galaxy of outstanding talent. More please.