ARRAY(0xab95bc0c)

Profile for Liberty Gilmore > Reviews

Content by Liberty Gilmore

Liberty Gilmore (Shropshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
61x91.5cm Gloss Black Frame
61x91.5cm Gloss Black Frame
Offered by PopArtUK
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I needed, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: 61x91.5cm Gloss Black Frame
I was after a light poster frame for hanging on fragile old walls and this does the job perfectly. It's a little flimsy and the plastic covering doesn't have quite the same effect as glass, but it weighs hardly anything and looks fairly stylish. Perfect for what I needed it to do.

Muscle Roller Stick - The Only Muscle Roller Sold on Amazon with a Lifetime Guarantee & Bio Energy Therapeutic Spindles! - Treats Muscle Pain, Sports Injuries, Knots and Trigger Points- Use the Exercise Stick to Reduce Muscle Soreness, Stiffness & Pain! Each IT Band Roller Comes with a Bonus How to PDF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my Running, 15 Mar 2014
After struggling for months with knee pain caused by an abnormally tight calf muscle, my physio recommended this to me as a tool for managing the tightness and helping stretch my muscles a bit further. She warned me I would develop a love hate relationship with it, that it would hurt to use, but at this point I'd all but stopped running out of frustration, so I was willing to try anything.

It is painful, but after just a couple of weeks using it, I started noticing the difference. My calves stayed looser, my knee pain diminished then stopped altogether.

I no longer need to go to the physio, and just rely on this for managing the tightness. I honestly don't know how I managed without it before.

A White Hot Christmas
A White Hot Christmas
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars A Reasonably Good Free Christmassy Read, 15 Mar 2014
Downloaded this because it was pretty high on the free list on Christmas day. This was suitably cheesy, short and topical. Plus it had firefighters, which always makes me laugh, as the reality of living with one (as I do) is rarely portrayed with any accuracy.

This built up to a lot then sort of. Ended. Abruptly. It had a few lines that made me laugh my head off (lady parts tingling, anyone?) but for a free christmas read it really wasn’t bad.

3/5

The Dead Wife's Handbook
The Dead Wife's Handbook
Price: 2.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: The Dead Wife's Handbook by Hannah Beckerman, 15 Mar 2014
Remember that episode of Friends where Rachel and Joey do a book swap, and Joey has to put his book in the freezer because he's getting so emotional about it?

Yeah... that.

I found it really hard to get through the first part of this book. Not because it was bad - it really wasn't. It was just so, so, sooooo sad. Rachel's raw grief, Max's bumbling through life trying to deal with having a young daughter and a dead wife - there were so many moments that had me choking up and wanting to hug everyone I love.

I felt everything that all the characters went through. The emotions were so well realised - complex, conflicting, confusing and utterly believable. There wasn't a single character I couldn't get behind and they often were at odds with each other. The fallout of Rachel's death was the central theme of the plot, and as each of the characters in her life struggles to come to terms with their loss, and struggles to come to terms with how everyone else is coming to terms with it, you really get to see the many facets of grief.

As Rachel progresses through the stages of grief (which the parts of the novel are named after) it does become easier going. That, or I acclimatised to the trauma of reading it. I raced through the second half of novel, and it did build to a genuinely uplifting, bitter sweet sort of ending.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Come at it prepared with tissues, and don't read on public transport unless you have a high tolerance for the embarrassment of crying in public, but read it. Definitely, definitely read it, because it's beautiful. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

Rating: 5/5

White Space (Dark Passages)
White Space (Dark Passages)
by Ilsa J. Bick
Price: 10.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: White Space by Ilsa J. Bick, 15 Mar 2014
Where to start with this one?

That sounds negative: not my intention.

White Space is a bit of a brain bender. As disarming and disorienting as the magical snow storm the characters find themselves in the centre of, you spend most of the book thinking: ‘So, what exactly is going on here?’

Something which has not changed by the very end of the novel.

I like Ilsa J. Bick, and I like her writing. I very much enjoyed Ashes, despite the second half going in a direction totally opposite to the first half. And I think my knowledge of that enjoyment, and the trust it engendered, meant I stuck with this where other people might give up. Because it’s not easy. I was so confused most of the time, I didn’t know wether I was coming or going. And that’s the point of the whole thing, really.

White Space draws its horror primarily from the idea that our whole lives could be not what we think they are, and the psychological consequences of finding that out. It’s a lot to do with nightmares, and how we’re responsible for our nightmares, and it’s a lot to do with how those nightmares give us our identity. And that’s a kind of scary rabbit hole once you start going down it. The characters are assaulted by their own worst nightmares, and they’re powerless to imagine themselves elsewhere, even though they know their nightmares are being imagined into life by themselves, and there are often horrific consequences.

Bick takes unabashed inspiration from films like The Matrix and Identity. So much so that she labours the point a bit through constant references. A shame really – as a subtle nod would have had readers who’ve seen those films thinking ‘oh, I think I know where this might be going’ but, as it stands, probably runs the risk of alienating readers who haven’t seen them, leaving them wondering if they need to be complicit in the reference to fully understand the narrative.

That said, this was still a really enjoyable read, and though I’m not desperate for the next instalment (the ending was a LOST-esque nothing that didn’t promise answers but further questions) if I saw it in the library or offered up for review, I’d definitely pick it up. Just for the strange pleasure of not having a clue what’s going on, but enjoying it all the same.

Rating: 4/5

God Beneath The Sea
God Beneath The Sea
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield and Edward Blishen, 15 Mar 2014
I love mythology as long time readers will well know. Greek Myths, in particular, have always held my interest, ever since reading Marcia William’s comic style retellings from cover to cover as a child.

The God Beneath the Sea tells the early stories of the Gods and their war with the Titans to claim rule, up to Prometheus and the creation of man, and Hera’s betrayal of Zeus. The Gods are not generous – they are at best bickering, at worst at each other’s throats. Their initial response to Man is not a good one.

And the strength of this book is that it doesn’t shy away from that. There’s no Disney sugar coating here, no painting a picture of kind, generous gods as you see in so many reinterpretations. These are the gods in all their gory glory, tricking each other, plotting revenge for perceived wrongs, generally being petty and pathetic, not godly.

I was a little disappointed that it ended before the heroes that so many people know and love. I really wanted volume two, but with forty years between initial publication and this current edition, I don’t think that’s likely.

Along with the stories, there are some beautiful illustrations by Charles Keeping. Given the book is ostensibly for children, they are incredibly creepy – with a baby’s head being birthed through a mouth, Prometheus’ clearly naked form being attacked by a vulture, a baby being held in a fire among others. They perfectly capture the tone and content of the myths, and the lively line art style makes the pictures really jump from the page.

Overall, a good book for the Greek Mythology fan, with energetic retelling and illustration.

Rating: 4/5

Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You)
Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You)
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Review: Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson, 15 Mar 2014
Oh, this was going so well. A really strong start of the book had me quickly hooked into the troubled relationship between Jared and Aleena. Jared’s self-destructive ways, although a bit extreme with the drug taking and stuff, were classic fodder for a ‘bad boy turned good’ story. And I love those. Really, really love them.

Aleena and Jared’s tentative steps towards a relationship were gripping, and I felt every emotional swing on their journey, desperate to keep turning the pages towards the happy ending I assumed was coming.

And come it did, as it always does in this sort of novel, but it came via a plot twist that I wasn’t expecting. And one that really didn’t do anything for me.

You see, Jared, like all these bad boys, has a tragic past. An event he blames himself for, the blame causing his downward spiral into self-destruction.

This event spoiled the end of the book for me. I’ve no doubt of A.L. Jackson’s talent for writing – the book was very romantic and absorbing up to that point. But after it, I was just a bit miffed.

I’m not dismissing the author for good – I’d read another book of hers. This one just left me a little disappointed.

Rating: 3.5/5

The Seers
The Seers
Price: 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: The Seers by Julianna Scott, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Seers (Kindle Edition)
Given that The Holders was one of my favourite books last year, and given my propensity to hate second outings in a series, I approached this with equal parts glee and trepidation. Fortunately, within a few pages, the glee won out.

Reading this series is like indulging in all the things I love: super powers, girl power, hot boys, swoony romance and intrigue. Yes, it will probably never win any awards, but who cares? I read to enjoy, and The Seers was just so enjoyable. I stayed up really late on a night when I really shouldn’t have just to finish it, and when the Boyfriend finally protested about the light still being on, I got up early the next morning to finish the final chapters before work.

The characters are great – Becca is stubborn, often stupid, and brave and adorable; Alex is gentle and troubled without lacking strength. The plot threw a couple of unexpected curveballs as well. I was just patting myself on the back for figuring out the direction Scott was going with two of the more minor characters when suddenly I was left reeling by a plot twist that left me simultaneously applauding it for the bravery, and hating it for the sadness that ensued. I love it when writing can punch you in the gut like that when you least expect it.

Overall, there was lots that I enjoyed here, and lots of promise for a great final instalment in the trilogy. I just can’t believe I now have to wait months and months before I can get my hands on it!!

Rating: 5/5

Running Like a Girl
Running Like a Girl
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley, 3 Jan 2014
I'm not normally a fan of narrative non-fiction but I demolished this in a couple of days. It's pretty short compared to some narrative non-fiction tomes I've attempted over the years, but it's also well written, incredibly engaging and honest and at times very, very funny.

Heminsley doesn't hold back in her anecdotes - from her mortifying experiences attempting to buy proper trainers for the first time, to dashing into a scary pub to empty her bowels mid-run, she takes you through all the highs and lows of running, capturing the accompanying emotions with an eloquence that makes this book so readable.

Many times throughout the novel (not so much on the marathon sections - I'm not anywhere near there yet!) I wanted to shout into the pages: I've been there! I know exactly what you're talking about. You've just put my feelings into words. From the biting assertion that `Running is awful', to the description of how your first run feels, to the catalogues of aches and pains you experience, there were countless moments of recognition. And relief - my experiences are clearly not alien, my insecurities shared by Heminsley. And if they're shared by her, they are probably shared by hundreds of thousands of others.

If you're reading this review wondering why bowel movements, aches and pains and what ultimately amounts to an `awful' pastime is something that anyone would ever want to read about, let alone subject themselves too, I challenge you to read this book.

Currently, my family - never before sporty types - have been largely converted to running. We are trying to convert Ivy, who will throw every excuse in the book at you when you ask her why she won't come running. `I'm not built for running.' `My boobs are too big.' `I just can't do that sort of exercise.' Well, Heminsley had all those excuses too, and she found a way. Her journey is so inspirational - a case of the everyman (or woman) achieving something incredible - that it even made me tempted to try on this whole marathon thing. Trust me, if it can do that to me, it can get you off the sofa.

Running has honestly changed my life, and while I doubt I will ever be a distance runner, I love how running has given me confidence, energy and a boost in vitality that helps stave off depression, listlessness and general lethargy. Running is awful, but it makes you feel great. And it's that emotion, that sense, that Heminsley captures so perfectly in this book. Even a staunch non-runner, I think, could come to understand the answer to that question of `whhhhhyyy?'

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 12.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 1 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Nate Drake's third adventure boasts all the same perks as the previous two - great characters, cinematic set pieces, a winning combination of puzzle solving, stealth and blowing the hell out of people with rocket launchers. While realism was stretched in this one to brand new breaking points, it did so with a great deal of charm and charisma.

The story starts in London (you Americans love a sinister British accented bad guy) or at least a vision of London populated entirely with grimy bars and Jason Statham look-alikes. There is brawling and smashing heads into toilets, and a great deal of `grabbing things from the environment to smash over peoples' heads.' Thus begins the adventure to prevent said British bad guys from acquiring an ancient artefact of untold power.

While the gameplay is almost identical, the characters now familiar faces and the continent hoping escapades expected, Unchartered 3 does manage to keep the franchise fresh. There are some intriguing sequences that reveal more of the central relationship between Nate and his mentor Sully. Seeing Nate as a young boy, and a few suggestions implied by the bad guys give us telling insight into our heroic lead and the past that we know very little about. There are also some pretty great mind bending sequences as Nate succumbs to the mind altering effects of a drug the bad guys use.

Best set pieces include an utterly ridiculous, but spectacular fight on board a plummeting aircraft and the following escape from seemingly inevitable doom, a nausea inducing sequence on board a boat in rough seas and of course the final location - a secret city in the desert.

Downsides include some pretty impossible sections where pressing a button at exactly the right moment was the only way to escape an untimely (and repetitive) demise. The game does tend to throw you a lot of checkpoints in these sequences though, so each bit of progress you make is at least saved. The controls in general did seem a bit shaky at times. Trying to climb out of a collapsing building is rather difficult when you're trying to jump over a stair banister and can only manage to repeatedly jump in the air as if trying to grab a higher ledge. And there was Nate's habit of throwing back grenades into the cover you are standing next to, resulting in them blowing up right next to you... That got me a few times before I gave up on the `throw back grenades' mechanic.

But overall this is a great game for fans of the franchise like me. The puzzles are hard enough to be satisfying, but not rage inducing, while the shootouts don't drag on too long, but do provide plenty of opportunity to cause creative mayhem. If you enjoyed Unchartered 1+2 you'll definitely get a kick out of this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15