Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Raw Food Made Easy
Raw Food Made Easy
by Jennifer Cornbleet

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Basic Stuff, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I am vegetarian for over ten years and wanted a basic raw book to teach me how to introduce more raw foods into my diet in exciting ways. Since I already have books on juices and salads I was looking for new ways to use raw foods to make filling meals. The main things which made me dislike it are 1) Many of the recipes are really basic and could barely be considered a recipe for example the recipe for ground almonds is to put almonds in a food processor. There are many pages of these non-recipes and many are given 1 full page. 2) Due to the number of very short recipes and the general rule of 1 recipe per page, the book has a lot of blank spaces and could easily be half its actual size. This annoyed me. 3) There is a recipe for a flourless chocolate cake and also a recipe for chocolate brownies, on inspection the ingredients and quantities are identical, the only difference being that you either put the dough in a cake tin or brownie tray. I found it a little cheeky to put them separately and I found this problem with other recipes in the book also. I must add though that the brownie/cake recipe is very delicious and thus I gave it 2 stars for that!
I was very disappointed with this book, so much so that I returned it which I rarely do with a book. ( I purchased Ani's Raw Food Kitchen instead by the way). At the start of the book there are chapters on tools for raw food, and pantry basics, while these are useful; all this info is available freely online. In fact I think if you are new to raw that you would be better off going online and downloading some free e-books which introduce a raw food diet. Perhaps the issue with this book is that such internet tools have surpassed the requirement for such a book, and thus it is a little dated. If you have a food passion I think this book will leave you disappointed. There are so many excellent raw food recipes and blogs online that deal with the basics that I think that your raw bookshelf would be better filled with books which inspire and are more complex.

Hope this review helps soemone.

Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Homestyle Vegan Cuisine
Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Homestyle Vegan Cuisine
by Bryanna Clark-Grogan

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Italian for Vegans, 20 April 2010
I got this book a few years ago and just decided to give it a review as I feel it deserves a highly rating than the reviewers here have given it. When I received this book I sat down and read it for about an hour. Unlike most cookbooks which I tend to flick through and use for inspiration this book draws its inspiration from the highly readable genuine writing style of the author. I guess what I'm saying is that even though it doesn't have pictures this doesn't seem to take away from the book. The author clearly has a passion for food and there is a feeling that you are receiving many family recipes here and they certainly are home style rather than the fancy resturant style. Many recipes have side notes in the margins with variations of the recipe or mini recipes for basic sauces or dips. What I like a lot about this is that the recipes are vegan versions of very authentic Italian recipes, an introductory paragraph explains the history of the recipe how it s usually eaten, the region it comes from etc, which I really enjoyed. There are lots of recipes for cheeses such as parmesan, ricotta and feta based mainly on tofu, with soy free variations usually featuring nuts. The cheeses are pretty tasty. The book also covers breads, I made focaccia and standard white bread and both came out delicious, and the recipes are simpler and came out far nicer than the bread recipes in Nigellas "how to be a domestic goddess". There os a section of recipes ising tofu and seitan. The seitan recipes are not ones that I have used much, mainly because I liek in Ireland and only recently food a supplier for gluten, I tried the mock beef and it was ok, not delicous, but this could be me and not the recipe. In response to the other reviews - I found all the ingredients easy to get in Ireland, aside from the vital gluten powder, which can be purchased online from flourbin in the UK, and I think that using wine in a tomato sauce is a pretty basic and common practice.I have lots and lots of cookbooks but I tend to use this one a lot more than others. If you are vegan and like Italian food then I would highly recommend this book.

Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons in Grace and Elegance
Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons in Grace and Elegance
by Lucia Van Der Post

4.0 out of 5 stars Glamourous Escapism, 5 Jan. 2010
I do agree with some other reviewers that the title of this book is a little misleading. The book is the authors slightly personal journal of how to keep a beautiful home, look your best, balance life and work and a few other topics. This book is physically beautiful, from its pale pink hardback cover to the high quality paper used inside I enjoy it as soon as I pick it up. I dont live in the UK and I dont have much money either but I didnt find any of the advice in the book to be snobby or unrealistic. As with most books it is the job of the reader to filter the information and once take from it what they feel makes sense to them. I think the book is well written and the author has the ability to create vivid imagery and a sensation of luxury and class. I love the way she descibes how to make any house beautiful using books, flowers, wine, and the importance of hot water and good quality soap. More than anything its the way the information is portrayed that makes the book a success (in my opinion).

-If you are expecting advice on how to live a more simple frugal life like olden times then have a look at "Grandma's Ways for Modern Days".
-If you are looking for advice on old fashioned good manners grace and charm than "the Magic Key to Charm" is a nice choice.

The Art and Science of Beauty Therapy: A Complete Guide for Beauty Specialists
The Art and Science of Beauty Therapy: A Complete Guide for Beauty Specialists
by Jane Foulston

3.0 out of 5 stars No no no, 22 Dec. 2008
This book is the main syllabus text in my college for beauty specialists. I am exteremly surprised by the positive review given and feel I had to give my contrary opinion. I have already studied pathlogy and disease and have read countless beauty,skincare, disease and dermatology related books and I was very surpirsed the inaccurate information given in this textbook.
The book does not clearly explain the concept of contraindications, and the difference between local and total and also there is a lack of consistency in the way the contradindications are listed for each topic. The skin pathology chapter contains inaccurate information, acne is classified as a bacterial infection and eczema is deemed as congenital (neither of these are accurate in my opinion), also I think the explanation of dermatitis is unclear. The book does not contain any photos of skin or nail diseases either.The section on skin analysis is vague and does not provide any clear guidelines for determining skin type nor is there sections for homecare advice for different skin types or dietary advice. The information on natural marks gives ingredients but no recipes. The list goes on and on..
I read this book from cover to cover in about two hours and I didnt really learn anything new from it. Overall I would advise choosing a different text book, Beauty Therapy Fact File bu Susan Cressy seems far more indepth.