Profile for Paddy Vipond > Reviews

Content by Paddy Vipond

Paddy Vipond (Brighton, UK)

The Notebook
The Notebook
by Jose Saramago

5.0 out of 5 stars An Insight Into The Workings of the Mind of a Genius, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Notebook (Paperback)
I am so incredibly pleased that not only were Jose Saramago's words translated into English, but also that I came across them.
So often in the English speaking world we seem to miss, or deliberately avoid, thinkers, writers and intellectuals from other cultures and backgrounds. Saramago is one who cannot be ignored.

Written in a diary format Saramago lends his expert opinion on a wide range of topics, and every single one of them is insightful, thought-provoking and worthy of our time. If you were ever in need of a humanist, passionate and moral stance on any political or international issue then Saramago is the go-to-man.

With such elegance and clarity he composes arguments and constructs his opinion in such a way that you are not only taken in by it, but it becomes a part of you. Though his aim is not to persuade, his words are so poetic, and his opinions so coherent that it is almost impossible to disagree with him.

From the varied nature of the entries it is clear that Saramago is a widely-read and incredibly knowledgeable person. His writing not only enlightens the reader, but also introduces ideas, concepts and people that we would not have otherwise known of.

From reading this, along with a novel written by Saramago on Jesus Christ, I was left completely in awe of the man. He is someone to be both admired and inspired by. Such was the impact that his writings had on me, his name immediately joined a list of other greats that I have in my mind.

As a social commentator he should be highly respected, and as a novelist his work deserves the utmost praise. A true literary genius, and a wonderful man to boot.

Bad Men: Guantanamo Bay And The Secret Prisons
Bad Men: Guantanamo Bay And The Secret Prisons
by Clive Stafford Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Ignore, Impossible To Forget, 29 Oct. 2014
A truly brilliant and frightening publication.

In equal parts I was racked by sorrow, anger and guilt. Through a very easy writing style Clive Stafford Smith opens the doors on a world the military and government are intent on keeping locked shut. It is insightful and thought provoking, and was one of the best books I had read that year.

It is written in a matter of fact manner, there is no glitz and glamour, and no thrills, it is simple, honest and painful. It is impossible to read this and not feel something within you. Smith brings to our attention the various ludicrous actions and policies which have been implemented, allowing the reader to make up their own minds on the existence of the camp and its inmates. Inevitably, only one possible conclusion can be reached, utter condemnation.

Smith expertly portrays the stories of inmates he has worked with and re-brands these "terrorists", putting them in their rightful category as "human". He does not lead, he does not embellish, and he does not manipulate. Through the simple act of presenting factual accounts we are shown the true nature of one of the most disgusting situations in the Western world.

Guantanamo is a stain on our democratic beliefs and ideals, and Smith shines the light on to it for all to see. Hard to ignore, impossible to forget.

GENUINE Original DELL PA10 PA-10 90W AC Adapter Charger ,  for Latitude Inspiron Precision XPS Laptops , Brand NEW , Dell P/Ns :UU572 MM545 U7809 GX808 DF266 9T215
GENUINE Original DELL PA10 PA-10 90W AC Adapter Charger , for Latitude Inspiron Precision XPS Laptops , Brand NEW , Dell P/Ns :UU572 MM545 U7809 GX808 DF266 9T215
Offered by PC 247

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT A GENUINE DELL CHARGER, 29 May 2013
I had problems with the seller despite constant communication.
When I did finally receive my product I was told by a local computer repairer that the "Genuine Original Dell charger" was fake. Its too light, it overheats and has even been known to catch fire.
I was told that this item should last me a few months before it dies and I have to replace it again.