Profile for oldspottycat > Reviews

Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in the Second World War
Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in the Second World War
by Virginia Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Millions Like Us, 9 Dec. 2011
Fascinating insight into the lives of women - and men - during this period of not-so-distant history, told through the words of people who lived through it. Made me revisit the stories told by my own mother of that time and see them in a whole new light. Also made me wonder how today's generation would cope, as we enter another period of austerity, without, one hopes, the trauma of war. Compelling reading, can't recommend highly enough. Have bought two copies for Christmas presents for relatives who shared these experiences, and may buy more for those who didn't.

Boston Legal - Season 5 [DVD]
Boston Legal - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Shatner
Offered by EU ELECTRIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Boston Legal 5, 2 Oct. 2009
Superb script, superb acting - every episode to be savoured as the series winds to its conclusion.

This is Not About Me
This is Not About Me
by Janice Galloway

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, intelligent and moving portrayal of childhood, 14 Jan. 2009
This review is from: This is Not About Me (Hardcover)
I was blown away by this book. `This is Not About Me' may be based on her own experiences of growing up in the 1950s and 60s in Saltcoats, but in its sharply drawn, vividly realised evocation of childhood, Janice Galloway transcends time and space. I found myself reliving my own experience of growing up, as sights, sounds and sensations long forgotten came flooding back.

`This is Not About Me' is dark, certainly; it is also full of the excitement and wonder of growing up, as well as the pain and confusion. As the child gradually begins to confront the reality of what is going on around her, and to develop her own separate identity, the book reaches an oddly exultant conclusion.

If you want to read a book which will draw you in from page 1, and which will remain with you long after you have finished it, go for this one. I ordered three copies for friends for Christmas and am about to order more to send to friends overseas.

Morphy Richards Complements Jug Kettle 43596 Graphite
Morphy Richards Complements Jug Kettle 43596 Graphite

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty switch-off and poor customer service, 8 Nov. 2008
I bought this kettle on the basis of the recent `Best Buy' review in Which. On of the features examined was the length of time a kettle took to switch off after boiling - many of the Best Buys switched off after 3 seconds. Clearly the kettle delivered to us was faulty - on average it took 33 seconds to switch off after boiling. Not only did this waste valuable energy, it caused our kitchen to steam up so much that water dripped from the cupboards above the work surface and after only a few days' use, the laminate started to come away from the cupboard door.

When I phoned the Morphy Richards helpline to tell them the kettle was faulty, I was advised to go to the supermarket, buy a descaler called OUST, and try that to see if it made a difference! There was no hesitation in giving this advice - clearly this complaint had arisen often. I live in Scotland where there is no hard water, and the kettle was failing to switch off after boiling from Day 1. When I expressed surprise at the suggestion I should run around buying extra parts for a brand new product before it would work, I was told this was all they were prepared to do - I could take the advice, in effect, or return to the supplier which in my case was Amazon. They didn't seem remotely concerned that a kettle with automatic switch off was continuing to virtually boil itself dry.

On the basis of the previous reviewer's experience, I expected Morphy Richards to apologise, explain that this was an aberration, and send me a replacement. The reality was very different. Both the kettle, and the quality of customer service, are in my opinion wholly inadequate. Clearly it is a prevalent fault if the helpline advice is to buy a descaler - a new kettle should not be sent out needing a descaler. As a more minor point, although I liked the look of the kettle, the whistle (which could not be switched off on my model) was very annoying.