Profile for Derek Brown > Reviews

In Search of Scotland
by H. V. Morton
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: In Search of Scotland (Paperback)
i bought this book 40 years ago in a Glasgow market (the barras) and loved reading about his journey around scotland. You get a real sense of being with him and experiencing his discoveries. I loved his enthusiasm when ho found how to make scotch broth. Describing the look, the colours and the aroma alone was and is unforgettable. I am still using that recipe 40 years on.
What I loved was finding out about other parts of Scotland as I was young and hadn't travelled much. This inspired me to see my own country much more.

Sitting Down Here (Original Version)
Sitting Down Here (Original Version)
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars additctive, 12 Oct 2013
this tune does my head in. I was listening to this for over 4 hours while waiting to get the Aussie rules football turned on the cable channel. i dont ever want hear it again - only bought the download so others would not hear it after I bought it.

The Edge: One Hundred Years of Scottish Mountaineering
The Edge: One Hundred Years of Scottish Mountaineering
by Richard Else

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 12 Oct 2013
this book is okay. it does cover some key events in Scottish mountaineering history however the video of the same name has it all.

Primus Coffee / tea press for EtaPower pot cookware
Primus Coffee / tea press for EtaPower pot cookware
Offered by Sub Zero Store
Price: 31.78

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Oct 2013
just the job for my stove. great to have fresh coffee when out backpacking. great piece of kit - just what the doctor ordered.

Esecure - 7 in 1 FM TRANSMITTER CAR CHARGER RADIO FOR IPHONE 2G 3G 3GS 4 4G IPOD NANO TOUCH

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this, 11 Sep 2011
This products did not come with remote control and the company have not answered my emails.

My son bought one earlier in the week and it aslo had no remote control. Copany said sorry but it was too expensive to ship separately.

Silva Compass Expedition 4-360
Silva Compass Expedition 4-360
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, 28 Aug 2011
Out of all the compasses you might try - this will turn out to be the best if you are a serious navigator.
I teach mountain navigation and use these on my courses and recommend their use. Why? Not because anyone pays me to recommend them - simply that when it matters - when you need something to work - this is what you want. No one gets lost in clear weather or daylight so get yourself something that will perform conistently under pressure.

The Edge - One Hundred Years Of Scottish Mountaineering [VHS]
The Edge - One Hundred Years Of Scottish Mountaineering [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 24 Jun 2011
I contributed the original review on this a number of years ago and have to confess that I wore this video out by watching it time and time again.
Bought another so can still experience a real gem of Scottish Mounatineering history.
I am a guide myself and this is the daddy

The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars what can you say, 8 April 2011
Well - I bought this book years ago and have made every recipe in the book - for many friends. i always end up giving them my book and buying another copy. I have never met anyone who does not like the food as made to the recipe.

it's made my life so happy - a curry on tap - sauce in the freezer for every occassion.

Sorry - got to go - curry on the hob!

Colour to the Moon
Colour to the Moon
Price: 17.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb performer, 25 Jun 2010
This review is from: Colour to the Moon (Audio CD)
I discovered Allan Taylor a few years ago and he is one of the most naturally talented performers you will ever get the chance to see.
Wonderful guitar, voice and personality - a gem. I met Allan at a few concerts - not only is he a great performer but he supports worthwhile charities such as the guide Dog for the blind that Dave Lucas organises in Newcastle. A truly professional man.

Where the Hills Meet the Sky: Guide to Wartime Aircrashes in the Cheviot Hills
Where the Hills Meet the Sky: Guide to Wartime Aircrashes in the Cheviot Hills
by Peter Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheviot Crashes, 25 Oct 2004
This book is an invaluable source of information although it's presentation is poor. You can hardly see the photos.
Despite this it has helped me to find significant wreckage and learn the stories behind the crashes. Wonderful history that many local folk in the north east do not even know exists.
Could sell more books if published again with modern publication methods.