Profile for A. Kent > Reviews

Content by A. Kent

A. Kent "Acknowledge" (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
How to Help Children Find the Champion Within Themselves
How to Help Children Find the Champion Within Themselves
by David Hemery

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for all coaches, young and old, 12 Jan. 2015
Very easy and quick to read. I would recommend it to all coaches, young and old, as well as parents and teachers. As with all these things, the techniques will be far easier to employ on a one-to-one basis or with small groups, but sadly become one of the first things out of the window when faced with a larger group of youngsters and not enough time to give to them all - but that's not the authors problem to sort out!

The Game Plan: Your Guide to Mental Toughness at Work
The Game Plan: Your Guide to Mental Toughness at Work
by Steve Bull

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder of how easy it is to develop mental toughness through common sense, 12 Jan. 2015
Having listened to Steve many years ago at a cricket coaches conference I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. An easy to read book with plenty of practical advice to follow. On a personal note, it reminded me that I've not been using some of his techniques in recent years, at a time when I've probably needed them most ironically! The book breaks mental toughness down into component parts and give good advice on what each part is and how to develop it as part of your every day work and lifestyle. Nothing too fancy, as Steve admits, most of it's common sense, but as I've found recently, common sense doesn't always prevail when it's needed most - unless you become mentally tough. Well worth the read and thanks for the reminders Steve!

The Retail Handbook
The Retail Handbook

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone considering going in to retail, 9 Dec. 2014
Haven't got to the end yet as unfortunately we couldn't get the funds to allow us to go ahead with our planned purchase, but what I have read was of great use, albeit a little difficult to read in places and a bit repetitive. That said, perhaps it's no bad thing that a lot of the repetitiveness centres around the 'customer is king' theme. It certainly makes the point that everything in retail must revolve around the customer and makes no apology for doing so. Content is well laid out and in a logical order. Hopefully, I will finish the book one day!

Start And Run A Gift Shop: What you need to do to turn your idea into reality (How to Books: Small Business Start-Ups)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for out and out beginners, but not for anyone at a higher level than that, 9 Dec. 2014
Easy to read and certainly one or two useful tips in it, but to be honest, nothing more than common sense for the most part. I also got the feeling that the author was 'running out of steam' towards the end of the book, resorting to such things as how to book an airline ticket if you want to source stock from abroad! Do I really want to be told how to book an airline ticket in a book about starting up a shop? I would recommend to an out and out beginner or someone considering whether or not a shop is right for them, or even for someone interested in reading a story about a person who opened a few shops, but probably not for anyone at a higher level than that.

Rasberry Pi For Beginners: Everything You Need To Know To Get The Most Out of Your Raspberry Pi
by Adam Holmes

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money and certainly not for children, 9 Dec. 2014
Sorry, but this was a big disappointment to me. Misled by the title perhaps, I purchased it for our 12 year old son who has just got a Pi, but when I started reading the book myself it was very clear from the first two paragraphs that the language is way above his, and many others' level. The first part of the book is also about the history of the Pi and open software and to be honest there's very little in this book of a practical nature to actually get you doing anything with your own Pi. I was also surprised that such a slim volume would have such large print as well, so all in all, I'm afraid that this is poor value for money in my opinion.

How To Get Instant Trust, Belief, Influence and Rapport! 13 Ways To Create Open Minds By Talking To The Subconscious Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from 'Big Al', 2 May 2014
Like all his books, it's an easy read and really makes you think that it's not that difficult to talk to people and raise awareness of what you're doing, without the pushy big sell. I would recommend this highly to any one, especially those in my team!

Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads)
Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads)
by Sir Richard Branson

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and inspirational, 2 May 2014
Each short chapter can be read in 10 to 15 minutes and there's a good message in each one. One of those books that's good to read when you're having a bit of a downer! It gives you something to think about and some hope.

NERF N-Strike Elite Firestrike Blaster
NERF N-Strike Elite Firestrike Blaster

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy Son, 24 April 2014
He's been after one of these for some time and now he's happy with this one. We bought the target as well, just as an incentive to protect other things!

Race Night Tickets
Race Night Tickets
Offered by Race Night Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful to have on stand by, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Race Night Tickets (Toy)
We found that these were useful in the later races. Simple formula - the more people have had to dring the more they spend! So, 20 tickets per horse were enough for the first five races but then we needed to break in to our stand by packs for races 6, 7 and 8.

23 Anti-Procrastination Habits: How to Stop Being Lazy and Overcome Your Procrastination

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so Good, 24 April 2014
Not finished reading this one yet, but what I've read so far has been useful. Nothing ground-breaking, just common sense really, but to hear it from someone else is useful.

Page: 1 | 2