ARRAY(0xb3b38d98)

The Paradise [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanna Vanderham
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderful!, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Paradise [DVD] (DVD)
I'd seen the trailers for this series but really didn't pay any attention until it was recommended to me by my sister-in-law as a 'must-watch.'
After the first episode I was absolutely hooked and watched them all on iplayer in the space of a couple of days. I absolutely fell in love with John Moray, the lead male character (who wouldn't-he is absolutely out of this world gorgeous) and also, in a slightly different way, with the lead woman, Denise :)
For the first time ever I shouted at the television at the sound of wedding bells in the eighth episode and I too felt the ending was slightly rushed but now we know there will be a second series we're left on such a cliff-hanger I can't wait for this to start!

Much has been said about the Sarah Lancashire character and she is wonderful but I also enjoyed the performance by Ruby Bentall who plays Pauline.

All in all a wonderful adaptation of this book, wonderful performances, a gorgeous leading man, a fantastic set and an evil wife-to-be...or is she?!?

Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff!!, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: Witch Hunt (Kindle Edition)
I ordered this book as soon as I could after reading The Drowning Pool, also by Syd Moore. The county of Essex is visited once more in this novel as Sadie unravels many mysteries, all of which are centred on the Essex Witch Trials, Matthew Hopkins, the WitchFinder General,and Rebecca, a mysterious character from the 17th century. What happened to these poor women up and down the country is terrible and you will feel inspired to find out more about this dark period of our history.

This book absolutely draws you in from the first page and I read it very quickly. A perfect Halloween read it is very spooky indeed and some pages will leave you with chills! Leave the lights on!

The Daylight Gate (Hammer)
The Daylight Gate (Hammer)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Macabre stuff!, 18 Aug 2012
Not one for the faint hearted, this novella will have you squirming at the descriptions of torture and other seventeenth century methods of imprisonment! The boundaries between fact and fiction are blurred as the author takes many elements of the Pendle witch trials; the historical document written by Potts, some of the names of the women tried for witchcraft and of course Alice Nutter and creates an absorbing and horrifying tale. It will leave you wanting to find out more about this period of history and with many unanswered questions about the trials, the despicable treatment of these women and the motivations of those around them (in particular little Jennet). Read this!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 11:25 AM BST

The Drowning Pool
The Drowning Pool
by Syd Moore
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic...and scary!!!, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Drowning Pool (Paperback)
Finished this gripping book 2 minutes ago...this novel will suck you in to 19th century Essex and the horrors of the life of poor Sarah Grey. This book is scary-read with the lights on and with someone else in the house.

If you're looking for a thrilling, intelligent, historical ghost story then read this book-you won't be disappointed!

The Greenhouse
The Greenhouse
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Kindle Edition)
My first Kindle experience and I managed to read this in two days after work. It's very easy to read, a wonderfully told story. I did feel though that I 'missed something' and I was waiting and waiting for something dramatic to happen, particularly near the end but there were no bombshells. It left me feeling contented but at the same time, unfulfilled! I would recommend this book though. It's a lovely story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2011 5:59 PM BST