Profile for Roy Webb > Reviews

Content by Roy Webb

Roy Webb (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hornby R638 00 Gauge Underlay Roll
Hornby R638 00 Gauge Underlay Roll

4.0 out of 5 stars An easier way of ballasting your track, 19 Jan 2012
I suppose the purist will always use "scatter gravel"but this makes a decent job of it, and is less messy.If anything the edges look too perfect, but you can always add a small amount of "scatter gravel" to the edges, or even soil depending on your layout.The foam could also be painted brown.
The foam has indentations for the sleepers to sit in, and this is easy on a straight track, but on curves it is best to half fix a pin on the last layed, and then to stretch the foam sufficiently to allow the sleepers to sit correctly as you go round the curve. A little time absorbing, but it works.A spin off using this is that train noise sounds realistic.On points it is best to use the foam sheet that Hornby supply.

Hornby R8227 00 Gauge Building Extension Pack 1
Hornby R8227 00 Gauge Building Extension Pack 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Will enhance your layout, 19 Jan 2012
The platform is approx. 24" long, and the building is 4" long, and is at one end of the platform. To balance things up say install a few figures, maybe a telephone box or a luggage truck etc.Included in the box are a few crude items such as a luggage trolley. Also included is a station sign with a choice of printed names like Crewe, Swindon etc but this station needs to have a more rural name.As usual a station clock is included, but they are so small that the fixing of the support is not easy without breakage, so I glued mine in position, maybe Hornby should make these slightly larger than scale.There is quite a lot of plastic glazing, which I find easier to fix using a clear contact adhesive instead of Sellotape as suggested by Hornby.
The detail of the model is superb, and I think a good buy.The white fencing really sets it off.

Hornby R8230 00 Gauge Building Extension Pack 4
Hornby R8230 00 Gauge Building Extension Pack 4

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice accessory, 19 Jan 2012
As with all these items it is a little fiddly to construct, and it is essential to have a good set of tweezers
to hand, paticularly for installing the plastic glazing in the openings. Hornby instructions suggest using sticky clear tape, but I prefer using a clear contact adhesive just round the edges of the glazing.The overall looks, and detail is outstanding, and fairly good value.

Nike Mens Black Tracksuit bottoms Size L
Nike Mens Black Tracksuit bottoms Size L

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 19 Jan 2012
I have a had a lot of track suit bottoms, but these are the best yet. The only decoration on them is the "Nike red flash"
They are beautifully seamed down the leg,and have an elasticated waist, and bottoms.Really well manufactured, and I will be buying another pair.

Draper Expert 19674 5-Piece Parallel Pin Punch Set
Draper Expert 19674 5-Piece Parallel Pin Punch Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Tools, 19 Jan 2012
These punches are about 8" long,and as such are handy to reach those awkward places using just a hammer.
They are quite weighty, and I am happy with them.

Polyglide 8-Piece Furniture Slider Set - Colours may vary
Polyglide 8-Piece Furniture Slider Set - Colours may vary

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 14 Jan 2012
Bought these to use under a 6'x4'x3'-8" high model railway layout table, which I only have to move two feet or so to park it up after use.On trying them out (7"dia.Discs)the table did'nt glide smoothly, it had a sort of a judder as if they were sticking to the carpet so I tried the small discs, and they were worse.I decided to try a set of "working men" discs that I borrowed from under another piece of furniture. They are the same size, but a horrible orange colour, and with "working men" inscribed across them whereas the the ones subject to this review
are a nice black, and white.I have to report that the table glided effortlessly.
I have thought long and hard as to why this should be as both sets of discs appear to be very similar in construction.I can only think that they don't like the carpet (mind you I don't think much of it myself)which is woollen, and not velour type.In view of all the favourable reports that this product has received I am rather reluctant to post this review, but I can only write of my experience.

Laminated World Map Poster With Flags New Encapsulated - 36 x 24 Inches (91.5 x 61 cms)
Offered by Camden Town Poster Company

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal map, 23 Sep 2011
Great quality, and very legible. I did toy with the purchase of a larger map, but this size is ideal.
The map lies very flat on the wall. Good value product.

Bagatelle
Bagatelle

4.0 out of 5 stars Trip back in time, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bagatelle (Toy)
Very well made, and takes me back in time to one I owned when I was a child.
In my case the only minus point is that I find the plunger spring clunky, and it is difficult
to find finite settings for subtle operation. Should be much smoother in action.

Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver
Offered by Pharmacy Link

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, 19 Feb 2011
The best mouse I have ever used, and I have had, and still have a few.Just plug in the tiny u.s.b.stick, and
that is that, or should be. Mine did'nt perform,because the supplied battery was as flat as a fluke.Inserted a new battery, and all was fine. I think everything has already been said by other reviewers-buy with complete confidence. I use mine with a Sony desk top replacement laptop, which nestles nicely on a Ikea laptop table, with enough room to use the mouse.

The Wild Side of Photography
The Wild Side of Photography
by Cyrill Harnischmacher

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of it is certainly "wild", 14 Oct 2010
This is a nicely printed book on good quality paper.There are about 20 articles by different photographers.Personally I am not much interested in carrying out some of the techniques, but particularly the "Landscape Blurs" by Alain Briot I found very interesting as I have attempted these in the past-you can look at these on his Website. I find these photos to be quite beautiful.He explains how he took the pictures, and also the processing of them in Lightroom, and/or Photoshop.There is also a good comprehensive article on using vaseline on a U.V. filter for soft focus.There are also other interesting articles, but I for one will not be attaching my camera to a kite.
All in all the book is a good read, if only to confirm that some people are crazy, and if you attempt the egg shot on the front cover be prepared to buy your eggs by the dozen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3