Profile for Roy Webb > Reviews

Content by Roy Webb

Roy Webb (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Goldline Heavyweight Tracing Pad 112gsm 50 Sheets A3 Ref GPT3A3
Goldline Heavyweight Tracing Pad 112gsm 50 Sheets A3 Ref GPT3A3
Price: 15.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 26 Mar 2012
I mainly use this for tracing round my model rail layout when cutting grass mats etc.Using this method I can cut them very accurately, and it saves time making a template.I place the tracing paper over the material, and clip it, and then just cut around the outlines.The A3 size is very useful, and the paper is of heavy quality.

Hornby R8008 00 Gauge Grand Suspension Bridge
Hornby R8008 00 Gauge Grand Suspension Bridge
Offered by jadlamracingmodels
Price: 41.29

5.0 out of 5 stars It is certainly "Grand", 22 Mar 2012
This superbly modelled suspension bridge would be an asset to most layouts, but you need lots of space to use it as a working rail bridge. Assembled it is 1370mm long, and then you need to add the space to achieve a slow incline at both ends, which probably would take you up to 8ft.at least.even using curves.In my case my layout size is only 6,x4-6" so I cannot use it in the intended way at present.I decided to use it as a road bridge, and parked some vehicles on it, and put it across my layout, it just fits. I recognise that this would not be to everyones satisfaction, but it suits my layout fine, and has greatly enhanced it and becomes very much a centre piece.To put it across the rails in this way you may need to know where the towers fall, so I offer the appended measurements.The distance between the end towers, and the large tower is approx. 300mm,and the distance between the two large towers is approx. 625mm. Just as a matter of interest the height to the top of the main towers is 200mm
The kit is easy to assemble, and clicks together well. The most tricky part is hanging the suspension units which are fitted on little C hooks on small pegs, these can be in the habit of 'springing' if you move the bridge, so I used a little drop of clear plastic glue on each peg, and this is not noticeable.
I think this is good value for money off Amazon.

Herlitz A4 Pencil Carbon Paper (25 Sheets)
Herlitz A4 Pencil Carbon Paper (25 Sheets)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Is carbon paper now a thing of the past?, 12 Mar 2012
What can one say about carbon paper except this is of excellent quality, and ideal for using with pencil.
I use it for copying tracings on to the back of scenic mats for my model train layout. This system gives me great accuracy.
First of all went into my local branch of a national stationer, and the young sales lady had never heard of it, and they did'nt stock it.Thanks Amazon!

Black & Decker NV4803N Dustbuster Hand Vacuum, 4.8 V (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy light weight machine, 10 Mar 2012
Other than general use cleaning up crumbs etc I mainly use the dustbuster for cleaning up my model rail layout which I am in the process of building. There can be a variety of saw dust, general dust, and plastic cuttings etc, and it deals with these very efficiently. The crevice tool,and brush are indispensable for these tasks, and I would not be without it.A battery charge lasts just about 8 minutes, which is usually ample, but this brings me to a large negative. The machine does not have a battery charging indicator, so one is never sure when it is available for full usage, although the instructions request a 24 hour charge from new, I don't know whether it needs this long on subsequent charges. In an age when most things from cameras to battery powered screwdrivers have a power indicator I look on this as a gross omission on Black & Deckers part. For this I have deducted a star.

Mini Handy Craft Razor Saw - Tools - Tamiya
Mini Handy Craft Razor Saw - Tools - Tamiya

5.0 out of 5 stars A general purpose very sharp saw, 10 Mar 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I find this saw very handy for cutting plastic, and cutting shapes in balsa wood etc.I would class the tooth set as medium, so for very fine cutting I would choose another one with more T.P.I. It comes with a spare blade, and the useable length of the blade is 40mm.I find it a very useful addition to my other cutting tools, and highly recommend for a variety of uses.The handle is very comfortable in the hand.

Hornby R8922 Skaledale Scenics Ash Tree 100mm 2 Pack 00 Gauge Professional Tree
Hornby R8922 Skaledale Scenics Ash Tree 100mm 2 Pack 00 Gauge Professional Tree
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lifelike trees, 10 Mar 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
These trees are as good as it gets, with a very nice shape. They look great on my rail layout. You need to drill a small hole in the baseboard to fix. Highly recommended

Hornby R8226 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack F
Hornby R8226 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack F
Price: 24.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Extension Kit, 20 Jan 2012
This is the last part of the Hornby trakmat jigsaw, and it is a nice feeling to have the rail layout finally complete, and everything working well.The Hornby trakmat is approx 6'x4' in size, and is an easy way of laying out the track. You can either stick this down on the baseboard, or have it beside you when laying the track. In my case I stuck it down, and as the paper mat comes folded to approx. 12"x12" you have many creases when unfolded. Ironing it does not do a lot to eliminate these creases, so I stuck it down by running PVA glue just over the creased areas, and this worked fine. Some people use wall paper paste over the whole area.It will easily tear so use care.
The trakmat may not appear to be totally acurate in places, but this is possibly due to lithographic printing, and should not bother you.

Hornby R394 00 Gauge Hydraulic Buffer Stop
Hornby R394 00 Gauge Hydraulic Buffer Stop

4.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the standard issue buffer stop, 19 Jan 2012
These buffer stops look the part, and work well,and are slightly larger than one may expect.They clip to the rails, and are also secured by one pin hole only at the rear.they give one more confidence that a train will not go through the buffers as it were.

Hornby R8696 Skaledale 00 Gauge Police Box
Hornby R8696 Skaledale 00 Gauge Police Box
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Will suit most layouts, 19 Jan 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
A superbly detailed accessory that should look good on any yesteryear layout. Even at only 2" tall the eye wanders to it quite easily. Very good alongside the red telephone box.

Hornby R8580 Skaledale 00 Gauge Telephone Kiosk
Hornby R8580 Skaledale 00 Gauge Telephone Kiosk
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a fast disappearing icon, 19 Jan 2012
Forgetting nostalgia this is a lovely detailed Model by Hornby. Ideal for a railway station platform.
Athough it is only approx. 1.5" high because of what it is, and the colour it is very noticable in any layout.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3