Profile for Andy Diggle > Reviews

Content by Andy Diggle

Andy Diggle "Writer" (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Strontium Dog: v. 1: Search/destroy Agency Files (2000 Ad Strontium Dog 1)
Strontium Dog: v. 1: Search/destroy Agency Files (2000 Ad Strontium Dog 1)
by John Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer prefection, 16 Dec. 2013
My love for STRONTIUM DOG runs very deep. It's one of the comics that literally changed the course of my life. It put me on the path to writing, and opened up in my mind the possibility that I could thrill people the way these stories thrilled me. I'm now a 42-year old dad, and I love these stories as much as ever, and I'm looking forward to passing them on to my kids. So thank you, Johnny Alpha and Wulf Sternhammer. And especially, thank you John Wagner, Alan Grant, and Carlos Ezquerra. You are the very best.

5 Star Flipchart Pad Perforated 40 Sheets A1 Feint 25mm Squared [Pack of 5]
5 Star Flipchart Pad Perforated 40 Sheets A1 Feint 25mm Squared [Pack of 5]
Offered by Shoplet-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Bargain!, 29 Nov. 2013
I ordered these for tabletop role-playing games with the kids (we're having fun with the Pathfinder Beginner Box). Most RPGs use 1-inch squares; a perfect size match for this 25mm paper. At just 10p per A1 sheet the kids can happily draw their own maps and dungeons, without my having to spend money on expensive "serious gamer" alternatives like Gaming Paper or Flip Maps. Recommended!

The Raid [DVD]
The Raid [DVD]
Dvd ~ Iko Uwais
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest action movies I have ever seen, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Raid [DVD] (DVD)
As soon as I saw the red-band trailer, I knew I had to see this movie, and got tickets for the first ever UK screening at Glasgow FrightFest. It was the last film of the day - so every seat in the cinema was already occupied by film fans and journalists who'd been sitting there all day, watching film after film. We squeezed into the last remaining seats in the back row, expecting the audience to be too tired to respond enthusiastically to a late-night action movie.

We couldn't have been more wrong.

THE RAID got half a dozen spontaneous rounds of applause, and a standing ovation at the end. Well deserved.

I've now seen it four times on the big screen, and bought the DVD on the day of release.

THE RAID, is a smart, lean, tightly-controlled thrill machine, perfectly calibrated to create maximum tension and adrenaline, without any of the dumbed-down compromises we've been conditioned to expect from Hollywood. This is, quite simply, the kind of action movie they just don't make any more. Imagine early-80s John Carpenter tension, fused with mid-80s John Woo Hong Kong action (but without Woo's cheesiness), and you're in the right ballpark. It's fast, dense, gritty, uncompromising, and utterly gripping, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with such action classics as DIE HARD, THE TERMINATOR, ALIENS and HARD BOILED.

Director Gareth Evans is going to be a major force in Hollywood. Get in on the ground floor.

LaCie Minimus 1TB USB 3.0
LaCie Minimus 1TB USB 3.0

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works, 25 Jan. 2012
Needed a replacement drive for my mac's Time Machine. This worked perfectly straight out of the box. Fast, quiet, stylish.

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet
by Dr Pierre Dukan

4.0 out of 5 stars Working so far..., 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Bought this last month. Followed the guidelines and lost 5 lbs in a week! It'll be tough for veggies and people who don't like meat, at least at first, but I'm a simple guy with simple tastes so it works for me. My biggest weakness was a weekly night out at the pub, as beer packs the pounds right back on. Pro tip: switch to slimline gin and tonic!

If I have one slight criticism of this book, it's that it reads more like a long-winded essay than a simple set of instructions. The content could easily be boiled down to a fraction of the page count. Just skip to the end of each chapter for a summary and save yourself a few hours.

Merrell Men's Sight Lace Up
Merrell Men's Sight Lace Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Urban Walking Shoe, 26 Oct. 2011
I bought myself a pair of these in January 2011 and I've been wearing them almost every day since. They were fantastically comfortable straight out of the box, and ideal for urban walking. The only slight niggle is that after 10 months of near-daily use, the padding on the Achilles heel has worn through. I love Merrell shoes, but they're perhaps not *quite* as long-lasting as I'd like, which is the only reason I've given these 4 stars instead of 5. But frankly they're so comfortable, I'm probably going to buy myself an identical replacement pair, or possibly the similar Merrell Deepwood Coda shoe. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2012 5:13 PM GMT

Tangled [DVD]
Tangled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Greno

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Tangled [DVD] (DVD)
One of the very best Disney movies for decades, possibly ever. When the House of Mouse bought Pixar, I was worried that Pixar's genius and uncompromising dedication to story and character would be diluted by the Disney merchandising machine. But I'm pleased to say the opposite seems to be happening - Pixar seem to be raising the quality of Disney's output. Much respect to everyone involved with making TANGLED, but most particularly to Dan Fogelman for a perfect, perfect screenplay that appeals to boys and girls, young and old. It's got charm, whimsy, action, suspense and real heart. And unlike most Disney fairy tales, the resolution is brilliant, heartfelt, surprising, shocking and genuinely romantic. What more do you want?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 2:15 AM BST

KitSound XDOCK Clock Radio Dock for 30-Pin Connector iPod and iPhone 4S/4/3GS/3G, iPod Nano 5th Generation and iPod Touch 4th Generation - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly designed!, 26 Feb. 2011
I had high hopes for this device and requested one for my birthday. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to discover it's rendered unusable by two terrible design flaws.

Firstly, it automatically starts playing music the moment you plug your iphone into it! Yet it's intended to be a bedside device; so if your partner is already asleep when you slot your phone in to recharge overnight, they'll be rudely awoken as your music suddenly starts blaring out! Unbelievably, there is no way to switch off this auto-play "feature."

Secondly, the iphone/ipod plug is set flush to the bottom of the cradle, leaving no room for even the thinnest case. I tried it with both Apple's official iPhone 4 Bumper case and a Speck PixelSkin case, and neither left enough room for the phone to fully engage and begin charging. Pathetic.

It's a damn shame, as this looked like just what I needed. Sadly it's rendered useless by two of the most glaring and knuckle-headed product design flaws I've ever seen.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and comfy!, 27 Jan. 2010
These shoes are basically just a shameless knock-off of the Merrell "Jungle Moc" shoe, a pair of which I already own. These imitations aren't *quite* as well-made as the Merrell ones -- but since they only cost a quarter of the price, you can't complain! I bought these for slouching around the office, and very comfy they are too. Bargain for a tenner!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2011 4:45 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Dec. 2009
I wanted a cheap and cheerful DVD player that would play Region 1 and 2 DVDs straight out of the box, without having to faff about inputting secret codes. This one does that perfectly. What more could you ask? Nice and quiet too, with barely any drive noise -- which makes a pleasant change after playing DVDs on my Xbox 360!

Page: 1 | 2