Profile for Lou > Reviews

Content by Lou

Lou (Cornwall)

Slim Sip Ultimate Solution for Weight Loss and Cholesterol Management - 30 day Supply
Offered by High Street TV
Price: 59.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not dissolving, 7 Mar 2014
Only just started a few days ago so no idea yet if it will work. However I'm finding the crystals don't all dissolve and I'm having to scrape the bottom of the glass with a spoon and eat some of it that way. Any ideas?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 1:56 PM BST

All That Echoes
All That Echoes
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Still undecided, 7 April 2013
This review is from: All That Echoes (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of Josh Groban's voice since I heard the first album advertised on TV in the early noughties and have bought all his CDs over time. I'm not one for buying CDs 'blind' the minute they're released or singing their praises just because they're by an artist I like. Having heard 'Brave' on the radio, I bought the CD without listening to the samples of the other tracks and I have to admit that even after half a dozen plays, I am still undecided about this album. There are some pleasant enough tracks but nothing special and the cover of 'I believe when I fall in love' is awful; overpowering accompaniment and too far from the original.

I was initially less than taken with 'Illuminations' which eventually grew on me but for me, neither of them come close to matching the immediacy of 'Closer'. I don't know where Josh is going with his music, but for me it's in the wrong direction.

Song of Heaven: Chung Kuo Book 1
Song of Heaven: Chung Kuo Book 1
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially intriguing, 29 July 2011
Never having heard of David Wingrove or this series, I found it 'by accident' when trying to find something new to read. The reviews and synopsis made me want to read more but being cautious I downloaded the sample first. I was really gripped by this and downloaded the book very shortly after.

I was totally caught up in section one, setting the scene for 'present day'. I found the writing style very easy to read and was able to visualise from the text, particularly knowing Dorset. However, section two was much harder going as the concept is much more difficut to grasp but still intriguing. Section 3 - returning to present day, I somehow found less gripping but stuck with it to the end, although I confess to 'skimming' some bits. I cannot explain my perception of a different 'feel' to the two present day sections and sadly am not convinced that I want to read any further books in the series. Those who know this series of old, suggest that it gets better but I need persuading.

A Chance In Time (Native American Romance Series Book 2)
A Chance In Time (Native American Romance Series Book 2)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 July 2011
Brief, simplistic and at times, predictable. It's very short and ends as though the author began with a good idea then either didn't know where to take it or got bored with it. Sorry!

Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series #1)
Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and an easy read, 18 Feb 2011
Initially I found the Christianity element a little irritating but this gradually becomes less intrusive as you get used to it. However, apart from that it was amusing and continued at a reasonable pace. I enjoyed it sufficiently to want to read the next in the series.

If you don't take the book too seriously and don't look for any hidden depths then it is what it is - a fun read, and not very taxing on the brain.

Illuminations
Illuminations
Price: 11.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's different but don't write it off - give it a chance!, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Illuminations (Audio CD)
I too have loved Josh Groban's voice since before he became widely recognised, have all his CDs and had eagerly awaited the new one. Having listened to the samples on Amazon, I admit I really wasn't sure I was going to like it.

Having had an opportunity now to play it a number of times, I love it. Yes it's a departure from what's gone before, but give the guy a break - maybe he didn't want to be 'pigeon-holed' into one particular genre. Whilst I haven't listened often enough for all the tracks to be firmly fixed in my head, I absolutely love 'L'ora dell adio' and 'The Bells of New York City' already sticks in my mind. There are so many lovely tracks, all different in their own way.

Yes, on occasion the top notes feel like he is 'reaching' for them and maybe for some, as a comment in one rather harsh review said, his pronunciation in other languages isn't great, but personally I don't agree.

I really love this album, but you need to to make up your own minds - just give it a chance and don't write it off on first listen!

The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumping good read, 30 Dec 2010
The first book I read on my Kindle and although I found it a little slow at first (although this may be to do with my first Kindle experience), it soon gripped me and I was completely engrossed in the story. Thoroughly enjoyable, difficult to predict the storyline and hard to put down! Recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 25 Dec 2010
Being an avid reader - groaning bookshelves all over the place - and only occasionally willing to have a clear-out to charity shops, I was intrigued by the Kindle when I first saw it advertised several months ago. My husband - who was somewhat unconvinced at the time - happened to mention it to a work acquaintance, who was very enthusiastic and extolled its virtues. Result? Christmas present! Wow! I was completely unprepared for how lightweight and slim this is and naturally wanted to use it straight away. Frustratingly, initially it wouldn't work and I eventually drew the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong.

Having telephoned Amazon, with faint hope of my call being answered - it is Christmas Day after all - I spoke to a most charming gentleman who, having run a couple of checks, advised a technical hitch - Vodafone had 'turned off' the 3G in my area!! Whilst on the phone, this was restored and the Kindle fired up and a book I had ordered via my computer, arrived in minutes. Hats off to Amazon for their exemplary customer service and their very helpful staff - Happy Christmas to them all.

Now that it is working, I can only say that I am impressed. I haven't been able to use it much yet - Christmas dinner to cook etc - and so haven't tried many of the features but so far, so good. It will be such a boon to be able to take this with me on trips away and not have to take up space in a suitcase with several paperbacks.

I am sorry to read of unhappy customers who have not received their Kindle yet and appreciate how very disappointing this must be, especially when intended as a gift, but the wait will be so worth it.

Being Elizabeth
Being Elizabeth
by Barbara Taylor Bradford
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Being Elizabeth (Paperback)
Sadly, I have to agree with the majority of reviewers. Being Elizabeth is so disappointing - contrived, predictable, easy to put down and forget about. It does feel (as someone else commented) that BTB just needed to meet the contract for the trilogy but didn't particularly want to engage either with the previous storyline or the reader. My first BTB read in the 80s, A Woman of Substance, was a joy as were some other early works, but latterly her books feel less and less engaging and more re-hashed earlier ideas. Even the more recent books in the Harte story were less enjoyable and I hope she doesn't diminish the originals still further by adding further volumes. From relishing a new BTB book, I have gone to probably not bothering with any more.

Sennheiser CX 300-II Precision Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black (Eco Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 20 Mar 2010
I ordered these as a replacement for the earphones supplied with my Ipod shuffle. Having read many of the more recent reviews, I decided that on balance, these were worth a try and I have to say so far, I'm really pleased with them. The Ipod earphones work OK but kept falling out and I found the volume/track scroll irritating so high up. Even having purchased earbuds to hold the earphones in place, the sound quality improved but not to the same level as the Sennheisers. The sound quality is far superior and I have had no problem with either an excess of bass or crackling of leads against clothing. I did of course have to buy a separate volume/track scroll device but this works well in tandem with the earphones.

Order and delivery speed were impressive - I ordered on Thursday morning and the items were delivered on Saturday morning.