Profile for Andrew Lee > Reviews

Content by Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee "Andy" (Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
by Harlan Ellison

5.0 out of 5 stars I was never bored while reading this book and that doesn't happen very often, 7 Aug 2014
This is the only Ellison I have ever read. The 7 stories are all good especially "I have no mouth.." although I have to say the stand out thing about this book for me were the introductions and memoirs between each of the stories.

I normally skip introductions as it's usually involves someone else (not the author) assigning their own interpretations of what the story represents. All the introductions, except for the introduction to the book, were written by Ellison himself and contain anecdotes which are at least as interesting as the stories themselves. A particularly good one involves Ellison having to respond to an academics account of what "I have no mouth.." is about. He doesn't hold back and points out everything the academic explained about the subtext of the story was wrong and it was really a very simple story.

I was never bored while reading this book and that doesn't happen very often.

aLLreli 5 Port HDMI Switch Switcher Splitter 3D 5 in1 1080p 5 HD INPUT 1 OUTPUT for PS3 / Xbox 360 (slim) / Sky HD / Freesat HD / Virgin + / Bluray player / DVD / HD Camcorder / HTPC / Laptop
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent product - confusing manual (not really needed), 7 Aug 2014
Bought this to be able to switch between my ps3 and ps4 quickly as well as have a few extra hdmi slots free for connecting tablets/other stuff to my display.

The PS3 works perfectly when connected through the hdmi switcher with or without the supplied power supply.

The PS4 however doesn't seem to supply enough power through it's hdmi cable to run the switcher. Having the PS3 on at the same time as the ps4 gave the switcher enough power to run the ps3 and ps4 through itself but the PS4 picture would blink off for a few seconds every now and then. After plugging the supplied power adapter in the PS4 worked perfectly through the switcher.

Switched the ps3 and ps4 hdmi cables around just to make sure it wasn't something to do with them and it was the same situation.

The automatic switching (if I understand what it's meant to do - switch to which ever hdmi connection is active) doesn't seem to work on mine although i'm not really bothered as the infrared remote and the selector button on the switcher work fine. The manual also mentions an "IR learning function" - "The product has another advantage, infrared function for learning. The customer can use this by setting the remote control simply at home. This is the first model of amputator which has learning function" I have no idea what this means so if anyone knows it would be useful.

To sum up works fine on both PS3 and PS4 (so long as you have the power supply) just thought that was worth mentioning as you can get the same product cheaper elsewhere but it doesn't come with the power supply. Good bit of kit which prevents me from having to switch out hdmi cables all the time.

Best of Tharg's Future Shocks, The
Best of Tharg's Future Shocks, The
by Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars More Future Shocks!, 10 Sep 2012
I never read 2000 AD until recently and became interested in Future Shocks after reading the free comic book day 2012 issue of 2000 AD with "Whatever happened to the Green Pedestrian Palm". I then bought the complete Alan Moore Future Shocks followed by this book.

I've read most of the stories, The Vegetable Liberation Front, "Hotel Harry Felix" composer turned hotel for aliens are my favourite so far. The book is good enough to get 4 stars from me, it may have gotten 5 if I hadn't read the complete Alan Moore Future Shocks beforehand which I found to be more to my taste. I don't want to say too much more in case of spoilers. If you like Future Shocks or black humour you will like this collection.

For anyone interested in the content and presentation of the book 26 future shocks are by Peter Milligan, 12 by Grant Morrison, 8 By John Smith, 4 by Neil Gaiman and a bonus story by Peter Milligan, for a total of 51 future shocks. The stories are arranged in to sections by author with an introduction for each one. The book itself is well printed in the original black and white it was drawn in.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Captain Britain and MI13: Secret Invasion
Captain Britain and MI13: Secret Invasion
by Paul Cornell

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 15 Aug 2012
Having never read a Captain Britain comic I was worried that he might come across as a US stereotype of an Englishman. After finding out it was written by Paul Cornell (currently doing a good job on DC's Demon Knights) I figured I'd give it a go.

I found the story to be fresher than a lot of marvel comics as it tends to focus on magic and the legends of Britain as a basis for its back story. Each character seems well thought out and it's nice to see a character like Faiza to add another dimension to the Pagan and Christian legends used.

This book got me in to Captain Britain just as Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America has got me in to that character, it's well worth reading even for those who don't think they would enjoy it as it doesnt come across as annoyingly patriot or stereotypical as you would assume.

Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks
Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, a little bit dark and often funny, 15 Aug 2012
Unfortunately I was out of the country, and probably a bit too young, to read these the first time round. I'm aware of Alan Moore and his many works but haven't read most of them. I'm also aware of 2000AD but had never read an issue before the free comic book day 2012 issue. That's where I read my first Future Shock and I loved it.

Coming across this book on Amazon the combination of Alan Moore and Future Shocks was too much to resist. I'm glad I didn't as the stories are really well written, a little bit dark and often funny. There are loads of good stories but "Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde", "Skirmish" and "The Wages of Sin" where an out of work repairman retrains as an evil galactic tyrant deserve special mention. If you like Alan Moore, Future Shocks or Twilight Zone style dark humour I'd recommend you buy this book.

Deadpool Vol. 8 (Deadpool (Marvel Paperback))
Deadpool Vol. 8 (Deadpool (Marvel Paperback))
by Daniel Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpool vs Hulk, 8 Aug 2012
Deadpool wants to die, shame about his healing factor. In an attempt to stay down for good Wade enlists the help of the Hulk ..... by blowing him up. This is an action packed volume of Deadpool focusing mainly on Deadpool annoying and Hulk smashing. Deadpool exhibits his normal insane humour throughout in a story a step up from the last volume.

As a bonus issue 4 from Deadpool(1997) is included at the end of the book, a welcome return of a classic series which still stands up next to modern deadpool, the most noticeable difference being the brighter, less grimy colouring of the 90's.

Deadpool - Vol. 9: Institutionalized (Deadpool (Marvel Paperback))
Deadpool - Vol. 9: Institutionalized (Deadpool (Marvel Paperback))
by Daniel Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Young man, have you recently escaped from a mental institution?, 8 Aug 2012
After crossing the Hulk in Deadpool vol 8. Deadpool ends up in a mental institution in England.

In this volume Deadpool is institutionalized, even so he still stands out among the inmates. Don't want to give away any spoliers but highlights include dreaming about death with deadpool acting as a "disabled" re-run watching layabout, a bizarre meeting with the Queen and Deadpools version of events featuring a tea drinking english stereotype.

This was an enjoyable volume, can't wait for the next one.

Quantum of Solace (PS3)
Quantum of Solace (PS3)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 8 Aug 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this game for £7 to fill some time a few years ago. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The single player was pretty much standard for the type of game covering the first two Daniel Craig Bond films. The online multiplayer is what really jumped out at me in this game. After years of Call of Duty it was nice to play a decent multiplayer fps that was a little bit different.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PS3)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Raccoon City, 5 July 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Too many reviews for this game say "I've been a fan since RE X" and then give it a low rating because it's not a survival horror game.

I've been a fan since Resident Evil 1, it was the first game I bought on playstation and is still one of my favourite games of all time. This game is nothing like the other resident evil games in terms of gameplay so I don't even bother trying to compare them.

The gameplay is a 3rd person action game style, although a lot of people have complained that it's not very "resident evil like" I think it works well. Traditionally Resident Evil gives you a small amount of zombies to take on at a time, in raccoon city however there are far more zombies, which makes sense considering you're in the middle of a city. The third person action style lets you take on hordes of zombies which you just wouldn't be able to do with the traditional control scheme.

Along with the hand to hand finishers and the fact you're playing as Umbrella operatives it's a new experience in the resident evil universe and one that I really enjoyed. The different abilities from each character makes your choce of character change how you play. I played a lot of the game solo with the AI, which has some problems, playing missions with friends is the strong point of the game and makes it a lot more fun to play.

The game takes place around the time of resident evil 2 and the first misison will remind those who played RE2 of the opening video. Throughout the game you'll also travel through recognizable areas around raccoon city such as the warehouse and clock tower from RE3.

To put operation raccoon city in context with the other RE games, the earlier resident evil games were like the first hour of a zombie horror film, lots of sneaking around terrified about what could be around the next corner. Operation Raccoon City is like the last 30 mins of a zombie film, the zombies are breaking in and you have to fight like mad to survive!

I'd recommend this game to anyone who likes zombie games and doesn't instantly think a game is bad because it isn't what they thought it should be.

Siege: Avengers - the Initiative
Siege: Avengers - the Initiative
by Jeff Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars End of the initiative, 4 July 2012
This TPB ends the Avengers - The iniative series.

I don't want to reveal any of the storyline as I don't want to ruin it for anyone so i'll stick to general things. This runs parrallel to the Marvel event "Siege" where Norman Osborn, former green goblin now leader of HAMMER, orders an attack on Asgard.

As a stand alone book I wouldn't recommend it, if you have read other "initiative" books then it's definitely worth reading to tie up loose ends. I never read the siege event but it may be worth reading this to see another side of the battlefield. If you enjoyed reading this i'd recommend avengers academy also written by Christos Gage which has a similar style of new young superheroes being trained by the avengers.Avengers Academy Volume 1: Permanent Record (Avengers Academy (Quality Paperback))

Page: 1 | 2