Profile for D James > Reviews

Content by D James

D James "Doug James" (Berwickshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Betron B-25 Noise Isolating in Ear Canal Headphones Earphones with Pure Sound and Powerful Bass for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, Nokia, HTC , Mp3 Players etc - Gunmetal Black
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Excellent!, 7 May 2016
I have used some pretty expensive phones over the years and these beat them all! Reviews which criticise them for bass heaviness I think are not valid. You obviously need to use the noise equaliser on your mp3 player. I use a Cowon S9 and the sound with thse phones is spectacular across the whole range - classical and jazz. The only criticism is about the earbuds that come supplied. I wouldn't expect top quality at this price so buy better ones, for example Comply TX400. Criticisms about sound are, I think, more likely to be due to the supplied earbuds rather than the phones themselves. In summary, an excellent pair of earbuds at an amazing price!

Tendak HD 1080P 3RCA AV CVBS Composite Video to HDMI Converter Mini Box Adapter Supporting PAL NTSC with USB Charge Cable for TV PC PS3 Blue-Ray DVD
Offered by Tendak Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly!, 22 Mar. 2016
I was rather concerned when I read some of the negative reviews about this product. I have a rather old portable DVD player and frequently used it on holiday. I would use an RCA to Scart converter to access the hotel television. However, with more modern technology many of the hotel TVs are fixed to the wall and you cannot access the scart socket. HDMI inputs are now provided at the side of most hotel TVs.
Any concerns about this product were allayed when I tried it. My portable DVD player works perfectly through the HDMI inputs on the TV. The picture is crisp and clear with good colour. Sound is also well synchronised. It means that we can enjoy DVDs on holiday for the future.
Thoroughly recommended!

Comply Tx-400 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips - (Large) Black
Comply Tx-400 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips - (Large) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound particularly in the lower register., 21 Mar. 2016
Used with my Cowon MP3 player, these buds provide excellent sound particularly in the lower register.
I have used these buds for many years. The only problem is that they tend to split after several months of use.

Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen
Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if maybe sometimes a little disingenuous and rather pretentious., 23 Feb. 2016
Quite interesting and another slant on Stephen Hawking's life. However, I found the descriptions of the supposed financial hardships of her early family life disingenuous and that made me wary of her later descriptions of her life with Stephen. My own early family life in Lancashire at that same time was clearly very different to life in St Albans where family holidays and owning a car didn't preclude one from feeling hard up.
The material discussing her own study of Spanish literature, whilst it may be factually correct, I found to be somewhat diversionary and academically a little pompous. Well worth a read because it elucidates many aspects of Hawking's life. It shows some of the unpleasant aspects of his character, and for that honesty it is to be admired. I do so detest biographical books which simply attempt to "whitewash" a character and this is certainly not one of those.
Whilst Jane is clearly an expert on medieval Spanish poetry, her knowledge of geography is not as accomplished. She talks about looking at the Caribbean from her hotel in Miami, rather than the Atlantic ocean! This should have been detected at the proof-reading stage..

32nd® Stylus pen, suitable for all touchscreen mobiles and tablets - Deep Blue - PACK OF 10
Offered by 32ndShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 6 Feb. 2016
These should last me for the remainder of my life! Excellent styli and every bit as good as more expensive ones.

Forefront Cases® New Leather Shell Case Cover for Kobo Glo HD eReader (N437-KU-BK-K-EP) - Full device protection and Smart Auto Sleep Wake function with 3 YEAR Forefront CASES WARRANTY + STYLUS & SCREEN PROTECTOR
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product at A Good Price!, 23 Dec. 2015
Robust protection for my Kobo ereader with ease of use. The Kobo simply clicks into the case and there is access for the button functions on the top and bottom of the device and also the reset hole. Closing the case sends the machine into sleep mode which is reversed when the case is opened. This Forefront case is as good, if not better, than other cases costing considerably more. Thoroughly recommended.

Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Offered by FONICA

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Machine!, 7 Dec. 2015
This is the first USB-powered DVD Writer that I have used and I am very satisfied with it.. The comments about noisy performance don't apply to the one I received. Not wanting to insult those who complained about this I suspect that it may be due to the way the disc is inserted into the machine. There are scanty instructions and when I first attempted to use the machine I did not press the disc onto the spindle hard enough for it to fully engage. The subsequent noise was considerable until I realised what I had (or rather, had not) done. I have read and burnt all types of disc, CD and DVD, both R and RW and have not encountered any problems. The machine seems excellent and is remarkable for the cost.

AG816 Ergo Rapido 2 in 1 Cordless Stick and Handheld Cleaner in Black
AG816 Ergo Rapido 2 in 1 Cordless Stick and Handheld Cleaner in Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for stairs and other slightly awkward areas. Also ..., 1 Nov. 2015
Ideal for stairs and other slightly awkward areas. Also handy in the kitchen for occasional use.
There are two items, a brush and crevice tool, which are only available, as the instruction booklet puts it, on certain models. However, this caused problems because they were not provided on the model we had and we initially thought they were missing. We contacted the seller who said they would replace the machine. When we subsequently discovered the small print we cancelled the replacement. For the paltry cost of the two items it is ridiculous that they are not provided as standard.
The machine is performing with no problems.

Winner Mains Polarity Tester Plug
Winner Mains Polarity Tester Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny !, 2 Sept. 2015
I encountered a problem with one of my plugs when the LED on one of my computer external hard drives kept flashing after the system had been switched off and the mains plug switched off. This simple little device showed that the live and neutral had been reversed which I failed to notice. It was only apparent when I walked into the room one night where my computer equipment is used and before I switched on the light I noticed a flash from the external hard drive despite the fact that the system was switched off. This little plug is a must for checking the safety of your domestic wiring. Checked the rest of the house and all is well.

Aluminium comb with Metal Tail
Aluminium comb with Metal Tail

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2015
Simple and does the job !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4