Profile for Mr. Philip J. Chapman > Reviews

Content by Mr. Philip J. ...

Mr. Philip J. Chapman "chapmandu" (Manchester, UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific alternative to expensive Sony Blu Ray/Sky box wireless adapters, 20 Jun. 2013
I bought this item for the bargain price of £16 as opposed to £45 for the Sony equivalent. Not only does it serve the function I intended it for (to provide wireless internet access to an ethernet only device) but it would also be able to work the opposite way around and convert an ethernet internet point into a wifi hotspot (eg in a hotel room). It's not as plug and play as other options, but the set up really isn't too hard - I based my set up in part on one of the reviews here although I had to deviate from it slightly. But don't let that put you off, it's not that hard! The overall process is:

1. Connect the router to your computer via ethernet and set it up in client mode through the browser based interface. Also turn on DHCP as this is off by default.
2. Turn wifi on your computer off and check that the router setup is working by connecting your computer to the internet via the ethernet connection to the router.
3. If it works, reinstate wifi on your computer and connect your ethernet only device to the router. If it doesn't work reset the router to default settings using the reset button on the router and try again!

Just a couple of points to note:
- There is only ONE ethernet port, so if you wanted this to give internet access to more than one device simultaneously, it's not really suitable.
- The router can be powered off of a USB port which would be handy but neither my SKy box nor my my Sony Blu Ray USB ports were powered which meant that I had to use the power adaptor. Bit of a shame as it means extra cables and power points but of course this isn't a failing of the router itself!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 8:22 PM BST

Apple iPod 40GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9268B/A]
Apple iPod 40GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9268B/A]

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty much a perfect music player, 15 Aug. 2004
There's a lot of hype about the iPod, and whilst this attracts a lot of people to a product it also puts a certain percentage off. Its battery life is too short, they say, it is all style and no substance, it doesn't play Ogg Vorbis, WMA... It is easy to overlook the obvious, and the obvious is that despite one or two shortcomings this device is genuinely fantastic.
I already use iTunes on my computer (a Mac) to store all my music in AAC format and so starting to use the iPod was a breeze - double click the installer to install the iPod software, plug the iPod cable into the computer and iTunes will transfer all your songs onto the iPod automatically. On my collection of about 100 albums it took about 5-10 minutes or so. I later wanted to add another album - simply insert the CD into the computer, it appears in iTunes appopriately named (using the Gracenote internet site), and just just be drag and dropped into your library, Next time you connect your iPod the new music just gets transferred across. Easy.
I bought the 40GB model because I wanted to also use my iPod as a backup hard drive. To initiate this feature I simply clicked on the 'Use as Hard Drive' option and it appeared on my desktop ready to use. Now I have a way of transferring large quantities of data around without the tedium of burning DVDs.
So whilst the computer based software is very straightforward using the iPod itself is also very easy. The click wheel makes finding a given song the work of moments, and the main menu can be customised to an extent depending on how you best like to navigate through your music.
Playlists are a central feature of the iPod/iTunes experience and in addition to creating these on the computer with iTunes (drag and drop again) you can now also create them 'on-the-go' on the iPod. This is actually a lot more useful than I thought it might be - I can;t usually be bothered to create Playlists but creating them on the iPod gives me something to do if, say, I was on a train or car journey. Pressing and holding the select button adds a song to the current play list, which can then be saved as 'playlist 1', 2, etc. You can give these better names when you get back to your computer.
Sound quality is very good indeed, although the supplied headphones aren't all that great. I used a £150 set of Sennheiser 'phones which were awesome but the apple ones sound a bit muddy by comparison. I'd definitely recommend upgrading to a decent set of headphones or buds depending on your preference. I have to add though that most devices come with pretty crappy 'phones.
Battery life... Supposedly the weakness of the iPod with a mere 12 hours. Well, on its first charge my iPod was still going strong the next evening despite my thrashing it all day. Of course I didn't use it all that time but you have to ask the question: how much battery life do you actually need?! What is the minimum requirement to make such a device usable? To my mind 12 hours is perfectly adequate most of the time so it doesn't bother me unduly, although I am sure that there will be the odd occassion when I do run out of juice.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't heistate to recommend an iPod to anyone. In terms of usability it is simply awesome, I'm no mug when it comes to computers and gadgets but I appreciate an intuitive and well designed interface that saves me time and is enjoyable to use. Literally anyone could work one of these things. So what are you waiting for? Just buy one...