Profile for D. Richardson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Spry Dental 113g Cinnamon Toothpaste with Fluoride Tube
Spry Dental 113g Cinnamon Toothpaste with Fluoride Tube

5.0 out of 5 stars Spry Cinnamon, 22 Aug 2013
It was with some trepidation that I purchased this toothpaste as I am someone who detests the taste of mint ... but I am pleased to report that there is no mint taste whatsoever in this toothpaste. Some I have tried recently have only listed the added flavour (Cinnamon Rush for example!) so are still mint flavoured but may have lemon or cinnamon added. Sadly that is still not suitable for me. This tastes sweet, a bit like a cinnamon Danish pastry and has the added benefit (to me, anyway) of having fluoride included. It's a strong taste but one which I like and the toothpaste feels non-abrasive. I will be using this as my regular toothpaste from now on.

Prem-I-Air 16" Pedestal Fan Oscillating 3 Speeds + Remote Control
Prem-I-Air 16" Pedestal Fan Oscillating 3 Speeds + Remote Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Savers!!, 20 July 2013
I ordered two of these as I was close to losing the plot in the current heat wave and Argos had sold out. Delivery took two days and the fans are brilliant. For the price they are very efficient, not too noisy (I manage to sleep with them on) and the remote control is useful. They were simple to put together. You can use them in fixed position or oscillating and they have three speed settings. I am cool and happy once more!

England's Janissary
England's Janissary
by Peter James Cottrell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Read, 15 July 2013
This review is from: England's Janissary (Hardcover)
"England's Janissary" is a book that is somewhat out of place on my book shelves, but one which I am very glad I chose to read. The story centres around Kevin Flynn, fresh from the horrors of The Somme, trying to find a role and place within which to fit upon his return. Any dream of reclaiming a peaceful existence, however, has been shattered by the bitterness and hatred in Ireland with the growth in strength and support for the IRA who consider the likes of Flynn a traitor and seek revenge and retaliation for his own and his colleagues' attempts to end this emergence and take back control.

Here ensues a bloody battle. The violence is graphic and unrelenting but despite my distaste for it, I feel it is an intrinsic element to the novel. I felt compelled to start each new chapter to find out what happened next. Characterisation is perhaps scant, but there is enough there to fill in the gaps in our own imaginations and the pace is rapid so doesn't leave much opportunity to dwell on the "whys and wherefores" of the characters' actions. Kevin is a flawed character but one whom I cared about. I felt satisfied with the book's conclusion.

The novel is well-written and informative, dealing with a complex and ultimately frustrating issue. It is not a book which glorifies violence; quite the contrary, I felt. It is probably geared towards a male audience, from the language, imagery, and plot down to the dustcover. However, I enjoyed it enormously and would very much recommend it. I look forward to reading the prequel, "The Lambs" next year which will hopefully provide more insight in to Kevin's character.

Read it yourself!

Cresyn C220E Black Earhook Sweat-Proof Sports Headphones / Earphones
Cresyn C220E Black Earhook Sweat-Proof Sports Headphones / Earphones
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 9 May 2013
These are the only earphones I've had that haven't fallen out while I've been jogging. I've had a bit of a nightmare trying to find something that would stay in place. My ears are quite small and in-ear earphones have been a complete failure for me - either due to sweating and falling out or just not seeming to fit in the first place, even with the smallest sized buds. These DO stay put! It takes a bit of fiddling to find the most secure position for them at the beginning of each jog and I need to make sure my hair is out of the way for them to stay in. But they do the job. Sound quality is fine for me, much better than some of the in-ear types which have been three or four times the price that I paid for these. I'm thrilled with these and would definitely recommend them.

Ronhill Women's Trail Contour Capri
Ronhill Women's Trail Contour Capri

4.0 out of 5 stars Ronhill Contour Capri, 9 May 2013
I was a little disappointed when these arrived as there was no drawstring cord on the waist, as said in the description. However, I've worn them now and I'm pleased to report that they stayed up with no problem. The waistband is quite high so I didn't feel the need to keep pulling them up. They are light, comfortable and the material is soft to wear. No problems running in them. The size seemed true, maybe even a little generous. I felt very comfortable in them. A good purchase!

WOMENS More Mile Vancouver Thermal Long Sleeved Hi-Viz Black/Pink running top MM1323

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 8 Feb 2013
I've bought two of these thermal tops now (black and blue) and have been really impressed with them. They are great value for money and have kept me toasty and warm on my early morning, cold weather jogs. I'm a size 16 and I've found them true to size. They're not skin tight, the material is soft with no picky seams and I would defintely recommend them.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me ...., 16 Jan 2013
These running tights just didn't suit me at all. I'm not particularly tall (5'4") but they didn't seem quite long enough. They were a very small size 16. I did wonder if the size was wrong, but all the labelling inside seemed correct and, no, I haven't put on loads of weight over Christmas! The mesh panels also seemed inappropriate for me as I could then see my pants! Needless to say, they're going back.

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
This was the first JoJo Moyes book for me to read but it certainly will not be the last. I took the book on holidays and was unsure whether it would make "light, holiday reading" or not. The subject matter isn't your typical chick-lit fodder and the read takes you on a turbulent, heart-wrenching and tear-jerking emotional roller-coaster. That said, there is sharp humour with laugh-aloud moments, warmth and kindness in abudance and it makes for a terrific, well-paced read. The character of Louisa is one that I took to my heart, and you immediately wonder where life will take her when the book finishes. She is not without flaws, but she is warm and funny and it's easy to engage with her and her journey. I don't want to say too much about the story, aside from that it may look as if it's going to be a dark, depressing and somber tale. Well, there are moments of that, but ultimately it's about human emotions, challenges and choices. I loved it.

Tangwstyl
Tangwstyl
by Mansel Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A Medieval Feast, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tangwstyl (Paperback)
Firstly, I would have to start by saying that Tangwstyl isn't necessarily the type of book I would normally choose to read. However, it is set in an area of Wales that is very familiar to me and for that reason I was initially drawn to it. Set within the medieval City of Kenfig and its surrounding areas, Tangwstyl is work of fiction, based on historical fact. There are many themes within the story which would appeal to both male and female readers; of treachery, murder and betrayal, love, religious belief, compassion and hope. It also gives some social insight in to the difficulties and horrors endured on a daily basis in the lives of the peasants and "ordinary people" of the time, compared with the cosseted lives of the landowners, nobility and titled. Many characters are involved in the story, helpfully listed at the beginning of the book which acts as a reference point until the role of these characters is established and clarified. The story takes place over a series of days, following a prologue which sets the scene. The story to me became exciting and tense over the course of the second half and the plot takes several unexpected turns, keeping it compelling.

I very much enjoyed the book. Although it has a Welsh name for its title and is set in Wales, I would say the book is accessible to any reader and the fact that I am familiar with many of the place names didn't really give me any advantage since the setting in 1399 would bear very little, if any resemblance to the place it is now! A very small part of the Castle does remain today, as do remains of Margam Abbey.

In summing up; an interesting, exciting and thought-provoking tale with an original plot set at a good pace! Buy, read, enjoy!

FURminator deShed Tool Cat Lrg/Purple Long Hair
FURminator deShed Tool Cat Lrg/Purple Long Hair

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 Nov 2011
Our Maine Coon suffers from matted fur and is a really ferocious madame to groom. As a result she's had to be knocked out at the vet's and clipped which is not good for her, and extremely expensive for us. We bought one of these out of desperation really. Amazingly, she absolutely LOVES being groomed with the furminator and the amount of loose hair it brings out is amazing. She will actually come running to me when I show it to her. Her coat is already looking a lot better even just after a week and hopefully it will stop mats developing in the first place. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2