Profile for Maria Thanigasalam > Reviews

Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Epson Expression Home XP-312 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi/Epson Connect
Price: 54.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok printer but few words of warning, 30 Jan 2014
Hi just bought this printer because it was on special offer. It seems to print okay, scan, work over WIFI etc reasonably well. However, it was a nightmare to install.

I inserted the set up disc and followed all the instructions, all went fine until I was asked to set up via WIFI or via the USB (use a cable to connect instead of wirelessly). I selected WIFI but hit a stumbling block when I was asked to press the WPS button on my router. My BT home hub 3 doesn't have this button (I searched the BT forums and I think that only home hub 4 onwards has this button). The Epson instructions tell you how to by pass the WPS button if you don't have one, but it is all techie and for dumbsters like me it was beyond my capabilities. (My husband did it in the end as he works in IT). Secondly, once I got over that hurdle, the next problem was that the network could not find the printer. When we tried to ping the printer, it kept saying that the host was unreachable. This was when my husband and I started searching the Epson web pages and forums for help. We discovered in the end that for our computer (Windows Vista) and laptop (Windows 7) we should NOT install the latest drivers from Epson website (unclick this option when you get to this bit on the set up disc); and to temporarily disable the firewall. Finally, the install worked - only, at the very end of the install process, it failed to connect the printer several times and I tried about ten times before it worked. My husband surmises that the connecting bit is slow so it keeps coming back as failed to connect.

Another thing to note, this printer doesn't support Airprint. So all those with Apple products and want the easy to use Airprint functionality, you have use Epson's print app instead - which is not at all user friendly. While we were on the forums, users also moaned about how quickly the ink cartridges get used up. I realised that I should have dug further into all the reviews at Amazon before purchasing instead of just reading the top five, which were unanimously good.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2014 5:29 PM BST

Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots: The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter
by Adeline Yen Mah

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but...., 7 Feb 2012
Exquisitely written and very moving though this is, one wonders whether airing dirty laundry in public is the answer. How must this hurt the remaining family members? How is this going to mend relations with her family? Perhaps private therapy would have helped Adeline come to terms with her anguish and paved the way for a rapprochement and closure, for her own mental health and sanity. I will probably get a reply saying Adeline has already done this, but I cannot help feeling there is something distasteful in exposing one's family so publicly.

I am reminded of the new Margaret Thatcher film, how her supporters feel it is unseemly and inappropriate to publicise her descent into dementia, how humiliating this is for her and her family. I know that Adeline does not vilify her whole family but clearly, by their inclusion in this story, they are dragged into it, whether they choose it or not. My feeling is that if was not intended as a deliberate act of revenge, then why write this? In my opinion, it can't help but lessen Adeline's integrity.