Profile for Simon (SK) > Reviews

Simon (SK) "Simon A"

Page: 1 | 2
Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Dozen
Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Dozen

2.0 out of 5 stars An "homage" novel that fails to honour their subject., 6 April 2016
This seems to have been well presented and proofed for the kindle.
ACD must be writhing in his grave seeing his heritage being so grievously abused. It is something akin to watching a glorious film badly dubbed into Clanger or Klingon.
These short stories have crimes so slight that dead police dogs could solve them.
There are incredible words thrown in to add credence but which just become laughable.
I see val Andrews has perpetuated several 'homage' novels in the series. I hope they are vast improvements on this tosh. They could not be worse.
I shall not be investing in them.

The Man In The Queue
The Man In The Queue

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and old school. Worked surprisingly well on the kindle., 6 April 2016
I first met Josephine tey via Brat Farrar a million years ago. I had forgotten how elegant her turn of phrase is.
The plot for The Man works well enough but to be honest I just enjoyed reading the words.
Her novels are "of their time" and this could be a disadvantage for some readers. As it is I found this a most pleasant journey that let me forget about the day.

Edit: I've just read some of the other reviews. I find it hard to confess to being shocked by its time locked racism and rudimentary procedures. But then one of my favourite books is The 39 Steps which pretty well offends everyone by its final page.
I agree that for purist crime hounds the ending is weak. For me it worked.

Jacksons : Indian Ink 300ml Black
Jacksons : Indian Ink 300ml Black
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ink and supplier., 6 April 2016
I think one would be hard pressed to find fault with this ink or with Jackson's as a suppliers. First rate.

I'd almost consider trying it out on a cheap fountain but I think that would disappoint, it's not designed for it. For general dip pen calligraphy it's jolly good, and it's coverage for line and hatching is excellent.

Airplanes of the Second World War Coloring Book (Dover History Coloring Book)
Airplanes of the Second World War Coloring Book (Dover History Coloring Book)
by Carlo Demand

4.0 out of 5 stars This book and series is fair to good. Pretty solid guide lines may be a drawback., 6 April 2016
The book itself is fair to good. The paper is suited to pencil rather than ink or heavy felt tip colouring.
Each plane has a brief summary of general colour schemes applicable so of you are after accuracy rather than just time passing then you can get a fair degree of authenticity.
The outside lines and details are pretty heavy so it is a colouring book rather than hobby book.

I can see why others do them, they can while away time but to be honest they are not my cup of tea. I also find having to cart around book, reasonable selection of watercolour pencils and all the rest of the paraphernalia a right bother. Ill be sticking to reading/listening to the kindle fire during treatments thank you. But the experiment was worth it.

Constantine: The Hellblazer Vol. 1: Going Down (John Constantine, Hellblazer)
Constantine: The Hellblazer Vol. 1: Going Down (John Constantine, Hellblazer)

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return of the rude boy John. C and a great digital presentation., 6 April 2016
This is rather an interesting and entertaining reboot.
I have a rather sporadic collection of the initial series and can not quite justify splurging out on the digital release (although £120? Is not outrageous, just a lot in one chunk)
Ming and the team have returned John C. To his edgy roots and thrown out as much worthy and pc as they can without destroying the universe as constructed over the years.
Loving the inking, but have on admit that the raw brutality of the artwork remains quite daunting. The arcs work well but a couple of storyboards seemed to "judder", but that may have been my reading.
A welcome return and a very successful presentation in digital format.

Theresa Smith at the Court of Heaven
Theresa Smith at the Court of Heaven

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but I have no idea who would enjoy this., 29 Mar. 2016
It's well written and well presented on the Kindle.

It's not uplifting or enjoyable.

I regret I reached my fill and stopped.

No idea who would enjoy this.

Johnson's Baby Oil with Aloe Vera 300 ml
Johnson's Baby Oil with Aloe Vera 300 ml
Offered by SOC ONLINE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good moisturizing. Urea free. Not too greasy after 15 minutes., 23 Mar. 2016
I think I prefer this to the gel version. The gel feels sticky even after quite some time.

Unlike the heavy duty moisturizers this is urea free and therefore seems to be gentler or at least there is less irritation after daily use.

Transfers easily accessible o clothing so it's worth using it in conjunction with old work clothes.

House Rules
House Rules

5.0 out of 5 stars Really is a great read - regardless of all the other issues and comments about the subject., 23 Mar. 2016
This review is from: House Rules (Kindle Edition)
I am only half way through it. Considering I only purchased it this morning then that's not a bad thing.

It's nicely laid out for the Kindle and presents well on a fire screen (android screen) too,

I love the presentation in the voices of the main characters.
I love the "warts and all" it's not all a fluffy film story.
I shudder at just how little we all understand the spectrum of challenges faced by those with problems and those around them.

I doubt i'll sleep - i just want to keep reading. Needed a fuel break.

If you have the 99p to spare, i'd recommend reading this :)

Edit: Have upgraded this to 5* It is an excellent read. I'm sure there are many faults in facts, but it's an excellent read.

Winter Kill
Winter Kill

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to the normal high standard. Entertaining, but only just :(, 22 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Winter Kill (Kindle Edition)
I think that most people would suggest that Josh Lanyon books are approaching formulaic.
If this means that they are good reads with slightly predictable but well defined characters then so be it.

I've enjoyed them in the past on the basis that the are LBGT rather than gay sex books. There is a romance. a story, a longing.

Not so sure about Winter Kill. There is a feeling that this is a contractual obligation or, perish the thought, collaborative construct.

I'm hoping that this was just a blip on the horizon. Will be a sad day when "Josh Landon" does not mean an automatically above average read.

Human Vermin (The Detective Sanders mysteries)
Human Vermin (The Detective Sanders mysteries)

2.0 out of 5 stars Computer generated tedious story. Almost painful., 21 Mar. 2016
The book seems well produced and edited for the kindle

If a book can be written by committee or computer then this would be a perfect example of the output.
Every sentence is ridgid, forced, painfully correct and proper.
This is true of the characters along with the excruciating "politically correct" drivel that pads a mediocre short story into a wordy, tedious and dull novel.
Yearning to read "i've" or "i'll" just once in a while is a clue to the 4,000 words used to describe a car.

Page: 1 | 2