Profile for A. Fielden > Reviews

Content by A. Fielden

A. Fielden "afielden" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
LG Nexus 4 Case Nexus 4 Black PU Leather Wallet Cover With Stylus Pen
LG Nexus 4 Case Nexus 4 Black PU Leather Wallet Cover With Stylus Pen
Offered by PJA Distribution Ltd
Price: 6.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish quality product. Broke after less than 6 months use, 22 May 2014
I can't recommend this at all. Bought to hold a Nexus 4 phone, but the retaining sides have cracked and broken off, rendering the case useless. Wish I'd paid a bit more for a better quality case.
On the plus side, the stylus still works.

Update: The stylus has now broken, lol! So to sum up, this product is a total waste of money, a piece of cheap junk. DO NOT BUY!

Ahead Custom Molded Earplugs
Ahead Custom Molded Earplugs
Price: 25.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 15 Dec 2013
Having used Elacin ER-20 earplugs for some time, I thought I'd give these moulded earplugs a try. I play drums, so for very loud gigs some form of ear protection is essential.

To start with, the moulding procedure is absolutely critical. The instructions are clear, and if followed you should have very good results. It's important not to talk, chew, and generally keep your jaw still while the material is curing and moulding to the shape of your inner ear, otherwise the final earplug shape won't fit properly. Make sure it goes into your ear canal, but don't push too hard!

I left it for 20 minutes to cure, and form a good impression of my ear. Once this is done you're left with a solid moulded earplug, which fits your ear perfectly. I didn't have a problem getting them in and out, just a little bit of twisting required. But they can be fitted in seconds.

When they are in your ear they look unobtrusive, and the noise reduction is great! I can still hear my drums clearly, all the frequencies come through, just much quieter. This is exactly what I need.

I'm not sure about the longevity/durability of this product, and how effectively they can be cleaned when they inevitably get caked up with earwax.

12 Pairs Stixman Maple 5A Wood Tipped Drum Sticks - SXM5A12
12 Pairs Stixman Maple 5A Wood Tipped Drum Sticks - SXM5A12
Offered by C.Hunter Music
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value sticks, 27 Nov 2013
One thing you need to be aware of is that these sticks are quite light, and not as durable as the more expensive Hickory sticks. However they do the job for me very well. For an electronic kit they are perfect, as there are no cymbal sharp edges to cut them up. And this I suspect is where these sticks will suffer - depending on your drumming style, the way you strike the kit will affect their usable life. But that's the case with all sticks anyway.
I half expected them to just snap during use on an acoustic kit, but after a couple of practice sessions, they are looking pretty good, and the 12 pairs will last me some time.
Apart from the weight difference between these and my usual sticks, I would say there isn't much practical difference. I'd definitely buy more of them.

Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Sportswatch with HRM
Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Sportswatch with HRM
Price: 194.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful features, but the HRM strap has problems, 3 Sep 2013
NOTE: I'm updating this review because the heart rate transmitter strap has started to malfunction after less than 1 year's use. You might put this down to bad luck, but after some searching around I find that many other people have had similar problems with this strap. What happens is that the HR readings become erratic, and don't correspond with the effort level - example it may give you readings of 200+ at walking pace, or in my case it reads low when I'm putting in maximum exertion. This obviously doesn't help when you're training to heart rate zones. So because this is a known problem (some reviews over 2 years old saying the same thing) and Garmin haven't sorted this out, I'm knocking 2 stars of my rating, and updating my review to let you know about this problem.

------------------------------------------ Original review -----------------------------------------------------

I had specific reasons for buying a GPS watch, but mainly it was to give me fairly accurate pacing information to help improve my 5k time.
I read a lot of reviews about the various Garmin GPS watches. I rejected the 410 due to the overwhelming negative reviews of the bezel control. The features offered on the 610 looked very good, and its price had come down to a reasonable level.

To start with, this watch feels well built. It has a substantial strap which feels much more robust than any of my previous HRM watches (Polar models). The touch screen is responsive, and easy to operate even on the move.

Where this product really shines is in the design of the software. A lot of thought has been given to workflows, and what activities the user will want to do. The mark of a completely intuitive product is being able to use it without any reference to the manual, and the 610 achieves this. Within minutes I had configured my user profile, been through all the setup menus, and created a custom interval training workout. It's truly astounding what they've managed to achieve with a comparatively tiny display.

I've been using all the features offered by the 610 -

Virtual partner is a pacer. You can just watch two little stick men running (you and the pacer), which clearly shows your progress.
Virtual racer allows you to run against any of your previous race times. This allows gradual improvement as you aim to just beat the pace man.
Interval training. The custom workout capability is incredibly well implemented. Using just the watch display you are able to create quite sophisticated programmes. For example I was able to create a workout which had me running at 6min/km for 500m, then 4min/km for 500m, repeating until 5k had elapsed. This is just what I was looking for.

I feel that using this watch will be so helpful I can dispense with my gym membership and get off the treadmill, so in a few months it will have paid for itself and my fitness will have improved substantially. This takes me on to the next advantage you get with this watch - access to the Garmin Connect website. Using the Ant receiver, data can be transferred from the watch to your personal page on Garmin Connect. This gives you analysis of your workouts, including mapping your exact courses on Google maps. This shows distance and elevation information. Your performance is charted so your heartrate can be assessed, and the 'training effect' is also given. This is a measure of the effectiveness of your workouts.

Hello, Android: Introducing Google's Mobile Development Platform (Pragmatic Programmers)
by Ed Burnette
Price: 18.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory book, 27 Aug 2013
I like the style of this book. The worked example is usually a winning format, and this is no exception. The example application (Sudoku) is well chosen, as it involves a range of features, including 2D graphics. Features are gradually added over the first part of the book, and the fundamentals of Android application development are introduced. This gives the reader a good understanding of the foundations, in order to progress to more advanced material. Beginners to programming will find the threading example very hard going (I did, and I'm an experienced developer!), and the book offers little help to the uninitiated in this area.
What is clear after reading this book is that it's only scratching the surface of Android development, but the intention is to provide an introduction. This goal has been achieved very successfully.
One bizarre problem I found was that the index is quite bad. Maybe I was looking for obscure terms, but I found several times that the index failed to find what I was looking for. Sounds strange, but it makes the book less useful as a reference. Fortunately it's quite thin, so the contents list can usually be used to locate topics.

Top Spin 4 (PS3)
Top Spin 4 (PS3)
Offered by SelectGames
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget about using the Move controller with this game, 16 May 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Top Spin 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game because it supports the Move controller. Tennis is an ideal game to use the Move with. However the reality is that Move controller support in this game feels like a poorly implemented afterthought. Let's start with the controller related problems:-

1. With 2 Moves connected, the game repeatedly asks you to calibrate one or more of the controllers, when moving between menus. This is intensely annoying.
2. For some bizarre reason, in 2 player mode, it's not possible to select two different user-created players.
3. Most frustrating of all is that in 2 player mode, one of the players is at the top of the screen. This means you're playing facing the on-screen player. Imagine how difficult that is when you're swinging the controller in the opposite direction to the player's movement. Any other 2 player tennis game has both players side by side. With this game, the player at the top has a huge disadvantage.
4. The direction of shot is not controlled by the direction you swing the Move controller. You have to use the joystick on the nav controller to aim your shot. I'm sorry, but this is poor beyond belief. It's possible to accurately track the direction of the Move, and direct shots with it. I know this because the tennis game in Sports Champions 2 does it. Lazy lazy programming.
5. Often the game will not even recognise one of the controllers, and you have to restart the entire game.

The menu system is very clunky, unintuitive, long load times. Annoying.

A huge amount of effort has been spent in this game implementing the player customisation. There are quite sophisticated facilities for shaping faces, skin tone, hair, eye/nose shape and tons more, plus an extensive wardrobe of kits. Now unless I'm a 10 year old schoolgirl, I don't care about any of this!!! I'd much prefer the developers to spend their time creating a good tennis simulator.

Having played a previous version of Top Spin, the 2 player gameplay wasn't that bad (although still not ideal) with the standard controller. I think that Move support in this game has been a complete failure. The game is designed to be played with the standard dual shock controller.

So in summary, this game has not lived up to my expectations and is not that playable with the Move controller. It's ok as a single player game with Move, but still not ideal. If you want a fun 2 player tennis game that works great with the Move controller, buy Sports Champions 2.

Shure PGDMK 4
Shure PGDMK 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Shure PGDMK 4 (Electronics)
I was a bit sceptical about this mic set, as it's relatively cheap for 4 Shure mics. After reading other reviews I decided to purchase them. I'm sure that at this price, something has to give in terms of the quality of components, but I'm no electronics expert. I can say that they do the job for which I bought them, and that is to provide amplification for my drum kit during gigs. I'm satisfied with the quality of sound, bass drum mic is particularly good. The build quality is excellent, as you would expect, and the handy carry case is ideal for transportation of the mics.
Whether they would do an adequate job for recording I can't say, but I'm happy using them for gigs.

Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes
Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes
Offered by WowDiscounts
Price: 53.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect bread. Delighted with this machine., 2 Feb 2013
Damn you Russell Hobbs, your machine makes bread that is too tasty! Honestly I can't see how you could get better bread from a more expensive machine. The procedure for baking is simple, but I would advise fully reading the instructions, and following the steps to the letter. This includes details like warming milk before adding to the mixture, and weighing out the proper quantity of ingredients. Our first attempt was a lighter bake sandwich loaf, with thinner crust. It turned out perfect. The consistency was light, moist, tastes great, and it makes absolutely perfect toast. I'm looking forward to trying the other programmes, including pizza dough. Watching the baking process through the window is fun, and we couldn't wait to try the finished loaf, which took about 3.5 hours to complete. The only tiny inconvenience is that the small mixing paddle in the container ends up embedded in the bottom of the bread, but is easily extracted.
In summary we're really pleased with this product, excellent value for money. I can't see us ever buying another loaf of bread from the shop. Best thing of all is that your bread is fresh, and free from any artificial preservatives and other junk!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most fun Christmas presents ever!, 31 Dec 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've had so much fun flying this little helicopter. It was so good I ordered another one for my Daughter, who also loves using it. Has been on charge constantly since Christmas day.
After some initial time learning how to fly, it wasn't long before we were both flying like experts. It's amazingly agile and easy to control using the 2 channel remote.
You will sometimes crash it, but it's really durable. I also ordered a spare parts pack, but haven't had to use any of them (yet). The chassis and blades can take some quite tough knocks.
The fact that it's so light probably helps it survive crashes, but bear in mind that it's strictly for indoor use. Flying close to walls will cause turbulence which makes it more difficult to control, but for a challenge you can try navigating through doors and between rooms.
Everyone who saw it wanted a go, and I'm ordering another one for my Dad to play with. At this money, you just can't go wrong.

Cantilever LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
Cantilever LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
Offered by Electro World
Price: 13.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate screws supplied with this bracket, 4 Jan 2012
This item is supplied with 50mm screws to fix it on to the wall. The fitting instructions say clearly that the screw must pentrate 50mm into a solid brick wall. This means that if your wall has plasterboard (up to 12mm thick), then the screws will not go far enough into the wall. I had to purchase 80mm screws and wall plugs. Why they can't include longer screws I just don't know. BTW none of these instructions are stated in the product description on Amazon.
I'm not really convinced about the design of this bracket, as with only two screws securing it on the wall there is a lot of weight taken on the top screw. I will be placing plenty of cushions under the TV for the next few days just in case!
I've reported these concerns to the supplier (Electro World), but have received no response from them. So not great customer service there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2012 1:11 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2