ARRAY(0xa4611774)

Profile for Mr. P. N. Cairns > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. N. Cairns

Mr. P. N. Cairns (Birmingham United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Celebrate: The Greatest Hits [3CD]
Celebrate: The Greatest Hits [3CD]
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 28.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation, Great band., 1 Jun 2013
Like a lot of other reviewers i have hardly stopped playing this since it arrived.So good to have the history of simple minds in a box set.Personally though my own preference is for the last disc, I have always liked the later material.My one minor grumble would have been to include a couple more tracks off the album "Our secrets are the same" Mainly because it is difficult to get hold of this great album, But i suppose the problem then is what to leave off to fit these tracks in ? As i said this is just a personal opinion, This CD comes highly recommended.

Essential Oils
Essential Oils
Price: 11.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music,But..., 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Essential Oils (Audio CD)
Midnight Oil have always been one of my favorite bands,So when i heard about this CD a few weeks ago, I was really looking forward to it's release.When i read the track listing i was a bit put out.I fully appreciate that a band that has as many tracks to choose from as the oils,The track choice was never going to satisfy every fan.My own personal choice would have been to not put as many early tracks on and instead put on underwater from breathe and put on three more tracks from my favorite oil CD-those been blot,what goes on and comfortable place on the couch.Still i suppose it's all about choice,For the interested the first CD covers the bands career until just before diesel and dust,The second CD covers the bands career from diesel and dust until the release of capricornia. The remastering/production on this release is excellent,This CD comes highly recommended especially for someone looking for a quick overview of a great band.If you want to listen to any of the bands music, Try out diesel and dust and my two favorite CD's blue sky mining and red neck wonderland.

Black Christmas [DVD]
Black Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katie Cassidy
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Remake !!, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Black Christmas [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly i will point out that the original film Black Christmas has always been one of my favourite films,When it was released it was quite an original film.It was one of the first films that went on to be labelled "Slasher Films"- Indeed at the time it was widely stated that later films such as Halloween,Friday 13th etc stole a lot of the idea's from the original Black Christmas. I have had this remake for some time, I have tried many times to watch it all the way through.I have finally watched it all the way through, I feel i have wasted 80 minutes of my life.This film has very poor acting/actors,It also has no atmosphere,I fully admit that the original film may now seem a bit dated but watch the original and take into account that it was at the time of release a very original film and also it is now more than 30 years old.Please watch the original film and give this awful remake a very wide berth.

Midnight Oil: 20,000 Watt Rsl - The Midnight Oil Collection [DVD]
Midnight Oil: 20,000 Watt Rsl - The Midnight Oil Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Midnight Oil

5.0 out of 5 stars Great career overview, Any chance of a reunion tour ?, 28 Sep 2012
This great DVD really covers all the high points of the career of Midnight oil.The DVD covers the bands career up to Redneck wonderland,My own opinion is the best part is the live section.This DVD is difficult to get hole of now but it is really worth investigation.I know Pete Garrett now has his political career but one can only dream of a reunion tour that includes the UK, Come on Pete, How about it ?

When I'm President
When I'm President
Price: 10.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant,Excellent,Superb., 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: When I'm President (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare CD'S that grab you on the first listen,Ian hunter has a real ability to create great songs based around some great stories.I have now played this CD four times and i don't think there is a weak track on here.As i have said before Ian Hunter got well deserved credit during his time with Mott The Hoople, But i feel a lot of his solo stuff has been criminally ignored especially in the UK.Most of Ian hunter's fans know he can rock with the best of them, But strangely enough the slower tracks on here are my favourite's, tracks such as; Life, Ta Shunka Witco(Crazy horse)& The excellent Fatally Flawed. Other brilliant CD's worth investigating by Ian Hunter are;Rant and The Artful Dodger.Get this CD At all cost's. Highly recommended.

The Singles Collection 1975
The Singles Collection 1975
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music,But where are;Just another night&Standing in my light?, 6 Sep 2012
First let me point out,The music on here is brilliant,Ian Hunter must be one of the most underrated singers around,Yes he got a lot of deserved praise with Mott The Hoople, But since going solo his music has been criminally ignored especially in the UK.The production on this compilation is first class,The remastering has been expertly handled by Tim Turan,Who did an excellent job on the back catalogue of both Slade and Nazareth.My complaint is that on the booklet there are picture's of Ian hunters single's-Included is the picture sleeve's for the songs "Just another night & Standing in my light",But neither song is included on the CD.

National Lampoon's Animal House [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
National Lampoon's Animal House [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ John Belushi
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class., 16 Aug 2012
This film has so many laugh out loud moments,The horse in the principal's office,The food fight,John Belushi at the window of the girls dorm etc etc,For the price charged here you can't go wrong.The main character here John Belushi is also the star of another of my favourite film's-The Blues Brothers.This film comes highly recommended.

Live At The Roseland Ballroom, Nyc
Live At The Roseland Ballroom, Nyc
Price: 12.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Going Strong., 29 Jun 2012
I have always been a fan of this band,There is a lot more to the band than the one major hit they had in the UK" You ain't seen nothing yet",One of my favorite tracks has always been "stayed awake all night",So i was really looking forward to hearing it performed live,However on this CD the track is not performed in it's entirety, It's in a medley with "American woman", That is one of the main reasons why i have only given this CD a 4 star rating.The other reason is,The involvement in the encore of Paul Shaffer, Who i think spoils the encore.Other than that the sound quality is excellent and the band sound really good.Well worth investing in,I suppose it's too much to ask for that the band play a few gigs in the UK.

Blue Sky Mining
Blue Sky Mining
Price: 6.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Oil At Their Best., 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Blue Sky Mining (Audio CD)
This CD is without doubt a great album, In my opinion it is also the bands strongest offering. Now i fully appreciate that the bands previous release "Diesel and Dust" is a favorite of a lot of fans, I suspect mainly because that CD contains the bands biggest hit "Beds Are Burning".I feel however that this CD is stronger because it is strong throughout, From the first track "Blue Sky Mine" through to the last track "Antarctica"The best tracks on this CD are "Forgotten Years" & Possibly my favorite Oils song "One Country" I also love the song "Shakers And Movers". This CD is well worth investigation and comes highly recommended.

Tits 'n Ass -Digi-
Tits 'n Ass -Digi-
Price: 12.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD,Rock music at it's best., 30 May 2012
This review is from: Tits 'n Ass -Digi- (Audio CD)
This CD was one of those rare things,It really grips you from the first listen, The first track i heard was the first single to be taken of this album-"Still got the keys to my first Cadillac"- Possibly one of the more commercial songs on here, I suppose that's why that song was chosen as a single. However i think there are stronger songs on here ie;"Over the cliffs into the deep deep blue" & "Avenue of broken dreams",Strangely enough my favourite song is the ballad sung by George Kooymans "Wanted by women"- What a tearjerker.If you only know Golden Earring by "Radar Love" some of their later offerings are well worth investigation especially Millbrook USA & Paradise in distress, Paradise contains possibly my favorite Earring track-"The fighter"Go get this CD.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10