Profile for drlunanerd > Reviews

"drlunanerd"

Bytestor Hi-Speed 66X SD Card 256MB
Bytestor Hi-Speed 66X SD Card 256MB

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 22 Nov. 2004
After a week of light use this card started giving me memory card errors in my Canon Ixus 40. I managed to retrieve the photos I'd taken on the card on to my Mac, and all seemed well after re-formatting the card in the camera. However more errors occurred again a day later and I could no longer trust it to work. The camera works fine with the supplied Canon 16MB card so it's not the camera at fault. Am about to try a Bytestor 512MB High Speed card and I hope this proves to be trouble-free. If not then there may be a compatibility problem or just poor quality control at play here.

Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical]
Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical]

4.0 out of 5 stars Small is beautiful, 4 Nov. 2004
I'd agree with holmsey2's review: the Ixus 40 does seem to have slightly more purple fringing than my old Ixus model in certain high-contrast situations, but this is to be expected when the lens and CCD chip are so small. Photos are better quality than comparably sized Sony models for instance. Detail and focussing is improved over the old models, and responsiveness is hugely improved thanks to the new Digic II processor. This latter point alone, along with the great 2" screen, sold this camera to me over the Ixus 430 - expect to see Digic II in more new Canon models after Christmas. SD memory cards are relatively cheap now which is another plus point.
The plastic toggle on the hand strap is designed to help you open the small AV port cover and also eject the SD card if you don't have long nails! I bought a £15 Canon leather case to keep the camera protected against such sources of scratches.
One last comment: I'm on my second Ixus 40 after the first turned out to have a stuck pixel on the screen. Amazon replaced it quickly with no hassle.