Profile for J. Kavanagh > Reviews

J. Kavanagh (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Mars 20-Blade Coat King Rake
Mars 20-Blade Coat King Rake

5.0 out of 5 stars the Coat King is noticeably better than the Furminator it replaced, 27 May 2016
For our cocker spaniel, the Coat King is noticeably better than the Furminator it replaced.

Essentially a tool for hand-stripping your dogs coat, running it through the coat pulls out all the loose and dead hairs and get into the undercoat to help remove some of the bulk. It's also great for combing through knotted or matted areas.

Using it is little more than common sense: I tend to give her a quick brush, and then run this over her coat, followed by another quick brush to remove any loose hairs (and a quick aromatherapy spray if she's rolled in something smelly). Although there is a little tugging if you come across a matted area, it's quick, painless, and our dog seems to find it really quite pleasurable.

During the spring when she was changing coats and shedding everywhere, this was an absolute life-saver: used daily it kept the amount of loose hair floating around our home to a minimum. Now that the weather is warmer, it's a great way to keep up the good work our groomer puts in, and reduces the thickness of her coat to help keep her that little bit cooler.

Groomers Aromatherapy Spray 250ml
Groomers Aromatherapy Spray 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars she will proceed take great delight in rolling in it, 27 May 2016
Our cocker spaniel likes to hunt down the biggest, freshest, wettest pile of fox excrement in the whole park. Then, when she thinks we're not looking, she will proceed take great delight in rolling in it, mashing it as deeply as possible into her fur.

This product was recommended to me by our dog local groomer, and it does exactly what you would expect. Whilst absolutely no replacement for a proper shampoo and wash, this works really well at curbing those occasional pongs she comes home matted into her fur. After a walk I tend to give her a thorough brushing, spray this in, and then brush through again to distribute it into her coat.

The product also contains some form of conditioner so the result is a happy, soft, and good-smelling dog. If only we could convince her to stop rolling in every grim thing she finds on the floor...!

Clippasafe UK Plug Socket Covers - Frustration Free Packaging (12 Pack)
Clippasafe UK Plug Socket Covers - Frustration Free Packaging (12 Pack)
Offered by BabySecurity

1.0 out of 5 stars UK plug sockets are some of the safest anywhere in ..., 27 May 2016
UK plug sockets are some of the safest anywhere in the world, the shutters to allow access to the 'live bits' only open when the top pin is pushed in. In that respect, these covers actually make your sockets less-safe rather than moreso.

I purchased these as part of a 'dog proofing' regime for our home, which they appear relatively ok for (although in hindsight, I don't think we need them at all). These are sold as 'child safe'. I would not trust these to protect a child. Dog's don't have opposable thumbs and - aside from the occasional pass-by licking (which these covers would not protect from anyway) - power sockets are a much lesser concern than - say - with a child.

Dreambaby Adhesive Double Locks (White)
Dreambaby Adhesive Double Locks (White)

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rubbish I'm afraid, I wish I'd paid more ..., 23 May 2016
Total rubbish I'm afraid, I wish I'd paid more attention to the other reviews on here before buying, although at the time I was focusing on trying to find something that didn't necessitate drilling or screwing into our kitchen cabinets.

In that regard, the product works: there's absolutely no drilling or permanent modifications to the cabinets required to use this product. Unfortunately, the adhesive used isn't up to the job; despite carefully cleaning the surfaces before application, these loose within an hour and pulled away altogether as soon as the door was opened with any force whatsoever. On the plus-side: this made it much easier to remove it again and throw it away!

Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner 100ml with Fine Microfiber Towel
Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner 100ml with Fine Microfiber Towel
Offered by Ecozon Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars By far and away my favourite cleaning spray, 23 May 2016
By far and away my favourite cleaning spray, I must be on my forth or fifth bottle now.. Originally purchased to keep my laptop screen clean after sticky fingers poking at it, we came to realise it's actually also excellent for any glass surface, as well as for cleaning our glasses (although I see Ecozon also now sell another variant specifically for glasses). It's extremely easy to use: just apply a couple of sprays and wipe with the included microfiber cloth, the best thing about it for me is the fact that it doesn't leave smears at all, so it really is as simple as spray-and-wipe.

LEGO Star Wars TM 75134: Galactic Empire Battle Pack  Mixed
LEGO Star Wars TM 75134: Galactic Empire Battle Pack Mixed

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not the best or most detailed set out there, 23 May 2016
Bought as a gift for a ten-year old Star Wars fan. It's not the best or most detailed set out there, and it was somewhat overlooked in favour of some of the other Lego sets received at the same time, but for the price it will still bring hours of enjoyment and add to the growing collection!

PET CORRECTOR 50ml
PET CORRECTOR 50ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Our dog walker recommended this product, 23 May 2016
This review is from: PET CORRECTOR 50ml (Misc.)
We have an eighteen month-old cocker spaniel who has recently taken to jumping up on the sofa and barking at house guests. Our dog walker recommended this product, saying that it was the same idea as employed by the police (who use fire extinguishers to keep dogs of unknown temperament at bay).

In layman's terms this is a small can of compressed air in bright red packaging. According to the booklet included the theory behind this product is that the noise of compressed gas being released is similar to the noise a goose might make when angered (a hissing noise). This device allows you to employ your dog's natural instinct to stop and pay attention when this sound occurs.

For us, this did not work at all. The first couple of times we used it, our dog did stop and cock her head before reverting straight back to the problem behaviour. After the first couple of times, she didn't pay it any attention at all.

That said, I'm sure that for some dogs it is much more effective, it's just a shame that it didn't live up to the hype for us!

Star Wars: Where's the Wookiee? Search and Find Book (Search & Find Activity Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars and with good reason. It is excellent, 23 May 2016
At the time of writing, this book is #1 on Amazon under 'Film Science Fiction', and with good reason. It is excellent!

Originally purchased for a ten year-old, who absolutely adored it. I found myself enjoying it so much (purely for the way it invokes memories of Wheres Wally from my own childhood), that I ended up buying another copy for our coffee table where it gets picked up and commented on by every guest in our house.

Westmark WE9121 160 mm Flour Scoop
Westmark WE9121 160 mm Flour Scoop

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad quality, although the metalwork is fairly thin and ..., 23 May 2016
Not bad quality, although the metalwork is fairly thin and a little sharp around the edges. It's absolutely fine to keep in our bag of dog food. As others have said already: it's also a lot smaller than I was expecting, I ended up returning and re-ordering two sizes bigger.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not an Anker product. Nor does it appear to be MFi Certified., 10 May 2016
Very disappointing. Whilst advertised as an Apple MFi Certified lightning cable made by Anker, what I've actually received is a cable of questionable quality, by a manufacturer called 'KaLaiXing'. This is not the high-quality product I am familiar with from Anker, it does not carry Anker branding, there's no sign of it being MFi certified, and is unrecognised by my iPhone. What a waste.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6