Profile for Gary Barnett > Reviews

The Stranger from Another Planet
The Stranger from Another Planet
by Ivan Gantschev

4.0 out of 5 stars One to keep the kids happy!, 11 Aug 2001
... both my young sister and I fell in love with Ivan Gantschev's illustrations. In fact, I am, now looking for any other works from this genius. Trust me, this wonderful collection will keep your child, or you, spellbound for hours.

The Crow Road
The Crow Road
by Iain Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars A stroke of genius. Ha!, 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Crow Road (Paperback)
This is only the second Banks novel I have read, but I have to say that this is the best book I have read by a British author since Trainspotting. On the recommendation of my English teacher, Mrs McGee, I decided to give the book a chance, after enjoying The Wasp factory so much. The life of Prentice is easy to identify with, and when he is at his lowest, the reader is also. Everybody should read this book!

Filth
Filth
by Irvine Welsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Same rules apply!, 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: Filth (Paperback)
Welsh manages to create a vile, despicable character with less scruples than our good friend Begbie. Yet again the Scotsman comes up trumps, with a hard hitting (as it would be on television) look at the 'filth' who are meant to be keeping the streets clear of crime. I'm sure that there are many 'polis' who can identify. and probably empathise, with Robertson. A backside scratching, coke sniffing, rascist with a taste for 'turning the lights out', definitely one of Welsh's great characters!

Breakfast Of Champions (Vintage Classics)
Breakfast Of Champions (Vintage Classics)
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully true, and absolutely magnificent., 11 Aug 2001
This has to be the most hilarious piece of fiction I have ever read. The way that Vonnegut creates such interesting characters in order to show the failings of America is superb. No satirist has ever come this close to portraying America, and society in general, with such humour and verve. This book kept me up until 2 in the morning, as I could not put it down.