Profile for library lady > Reviews

A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: A Good Year [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite movies and I can sit and watch this over and over again. Great after a stressful day as it reminds you that sometimes we should all stop and remember there are more important things in life than just work and money. Sometimes we need less of the those to make us happy. Love the scenery and all the actors fit well into their roles.

Kiss! (Dirty Bertie)
Kiss! (Dirty Bertie)
by Alan MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 5 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Kiss! (Dirty Bertie) (Paperback)
This has got to be one of the funniest Dirty Bertie books I've read so far. (Haven't read them all yet though). Reading it to my son at bedtime had us both giggling with fits of laughter. The first story (Kiss)is about Angela Nicely being dared by her friends to kiss Bertie - does he manage to escape. The second story is about Bertie taking the class hamster home for the school holidays and of course the hamster manages to escape! Finally the third story is a lesson to all those Mums who boast their sons/daughters are more talented than they actually are. This book is absolutely PERFECT for boys aged 7-8 years old, and who have a cheeky sense of humour. Loved it.

Secret Santa: Agent of X.M.A.S
Secret Santa: Agent of X.M.A.S
by Guy Bass

5.0 out of 5 stars Santa's secret side!, 12 Jan. 2011
Absolutely brilliant! My 7 year old son and I have just finished reading it together. Apparently Santa does work the rest of the year - as a secret agent! This book would appeal to ages from 7-10. Almost running along the lines of a James Bond story there are lots of witty gems and secret agent gadgets. And a few illustrations to help it on its way. Of course there is a baddie and his henchmen who are determind to devastate the world - although you probably wouldn't find a baddie in James Bond who is allergic to chocolate! A super charged, full speed ahead story with no slow parts in it. Definitely appealing to boys I would think. The ending is left for a possible book 2 and another adventure and I do hope Guy Bass is writing it as I write this review...we can't wait!

Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple)
Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple)
by Carola Dunn

4.0 out of 5 stars What ho?, 31 July 2010
As a murder mystery fan I enjoyed this. Very light and quick to read but keeps you guessing to the last pages. Great for holiday reading and fans of Agatha Christie, Poirot, Miss Marple who enjoy mysteries set in the 1920's. On a picky note the publishers could do with a better proof reader - as a spelling bore I found it frustrating but hey that's just me!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going at first, 31 July 2010
I bought this book ages ago when it first came out and it has been sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read. It is pretty hard going at the beginning and took me at least 100 pages or more to get interested. However, after finishing it I can now see that although a bit tedious it was laying the foundation of the plot. I think the book content could have been halved to make a more punchy and exciting story. It is a clever plot and does keep you guessing as to how the ending will come about, but I'm afraid it hasn't inspired me to read the rest of the trilogy.

The Girl On The Landing
The Girl On The Landing
by Paul Torday

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 30 Jun. 2010
First time I've read Paul Torday and now I am hungry for more. A great book - real page turner. This was definitely one book where you never quite knew where the story was going to go until you turned the page and actually read it. A nice change to a lot of the predictable novels out there at the moment. Great story.