Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "dmt195" (Gloucester, UK)

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
by Brian Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 July 2013
Of all the android books I've purchased, this is the best. The fact that they write all their code with v4.0+ in mind instead of a compromise (found in many books), start from the beginning, and go all the way into advanced topics including camera, maps, contacts integration. They make no apology for working with fragments throughout. It's a chunky book but that's a good thing IMHO. (I bought this as a physical book as I've found that e-books don't work quite as well for reference.)

Logitech Alto Notebook Stand with Integrated Keyboard
Logitech Alto Notebook Stand with Integrated Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars No more neck ache, 29 Sep 2009
It's probably an obvious statement that having your screen higher when working on a laptop for extended time can cause some neck and back trouble. This product has certainly helped me out in that regard after I started working at a desk for several hours a night.
I bought this not holding out much hope that the quality would be all that good but I've been pleasantly surprised. The keyboard is excellent and although I'm quite happy with my laptop's keys this is a welcome improvement. Simply plug power into the laptop (I guess you don't *need* to!), plug in the USB, attach a mouse to the integrated USB hub and you're away.
I'm also very impressed with the neat way in which the product folds up.
My only niggle is that the material used for the wrist rest, and that of the rubbery folding section, pick up dust and fingerprints pretty badly and can't simply be brushed clean. I'm sure a damp cloth will do the trick though. Not enough of a negative to drop a star in my humble opinion!

Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development
Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development
by James Kennard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but jumbled, 29 Sep 2009
Don't get me wrong, this book has been invaluable to learning how to have a Joomla extension talking to the backend, etc., but I do have a few gripes with it. The main problem is that the ordering of the chapters may be sensible to the author but they were not that clear to me.
Consider this as a reference book more than a how-to and you'll be happy.

Philips HF3463 Wake-Up Light With Radio Alarm
Philips HF3463 Wake-Up Light With Radio Alarm

5.0 out of 5 stars No more snooze button, 29 Jan 2008
I bought this a few 'nights' ago and have been waking up fresh ever since. My usual mornings consisted of hitting the snooze button up to 8 times before panicking over the time. The light actually works! It gets you in that cosy borderline state between sleep and awake where it's easy to get out of bed. When the alarm proper (be that bird song or waves or radio, etc) it's not a shock to the system, just a reminder that time's run out!
I agree with a few of the reviewers that the buttons don't feel that nice and it's not going to win any design awards but that's not the point. I'd rather be waking up happy than owning a shiny alarm clock that I swipe at a few times every morning.

Till The Sun Turns Black
Till The Sun Turns Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 11 Jan 2008
What an incredible artist. His song writing is amazing and his voice is just so good. I particularly love 'Stay' and 'Trouble'.