Profile for Book Worm > Reviews

Content by Book Worm

Book Worm (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Travelrest - The Ultimate Travel Pillow - #1 Best Seller (2-year Warranty) Rated Most Comfortable by The Wall Street Journal!
Offered by Travelrest (direct from the manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing is great - see pics for how to tell the fakes., 23 April 2016
Glad to have the genuine product having accidentally bought a counterfeit on eBay (Amazon had sold out and we leave soon). Please see the pics below left is the pretty good attempt at the real thing. I knew it was fake because it didn't have the well designed nozzle - see third picture and also the packaging was bad. Anyway the real thing is great and you can see what to look for. I've tried it on the couch and this will definitely help me to sleep in an economy seat.
Comment Comment | Permalink

50 x Mini Gutter Hooks, FREE UK DELIVERY, SuperLED Gutter Hook Multi Pack For Securing Lights To Guttering
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the larger looser options as these hold the ..., 18 April 2016
We have very old, traditional metal guttering and these snap on perfectly - a bit of persuasion but we haven't had one snap yet. Better than the larger looser options as these hold the wires to the gutter more snugly.

Havaianas Top Mix, Unisex Adults' Flip Flops, Black (Black/Capri 4389), 9.5 UK (45/46 EU)
Offered by Office Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars good., 18 April 2016
Bought as a gift for my husband. He loves them and they fit as expected. Typical Havaianas quality - i.e. good.

Sanuk Women's Yoga Mat Sandal Ebony SWS2908 5 UK
Sanuk Women's Yoga Mat Sandal Ebony SWS2908 5 UK
Offered by BlackLeaf

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these already, 18 April 2016
I love these already. I bought them ahead of a Disney holiday as there's lots of walking involved but I hate wearing trainers, they look so clumpy. I've been breaking them in around the house but they don't really need it. Super comfy. Sizing wise I bought a 5 and am a 4.5 (UK) usually. They fit me perfectly. My mum who is a 5 exactly tried them on and thought she would probably get a 6 if she were to buy a pair - her heel was right at the back but not off the shoe at all. Depends on how you like the fit!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2016 9:40 PM BST

AMAZING VALUE 9 x Assorted Unisex Adult Emergency Waterproof Reusable Rain Ponchos With Hoods - Perfect For Festivals, Camping & Theme Parks
Offered by My Swift

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit annoying that these don't come individually packed, 31 Mar. 2016
Bit annoying that these don't come individually packed. There were 3 per plastic pocket and can see them unraveling easily. We only need them for wet rides at theme parks so they will get worn once and binned, will do the job and I couldn't be bothered to return them but there are probably better options out there.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect mix of Lord of the Flies, What I loved and Dead Poets' Society!, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
I loved this book! I found Tart's writing eloquent and exciting. Tart's use of language, which if used by a less gifted author could seem pretentious, fit perfectly with the subject matter and characters.

I found that Tart perfectly created an air of suspense throughout the book without it becoming at all tedious or "detective-novel".

The development of the key characters was brilliant, so much so that I was never really sure who I liked if anybody, yet unlike some novels where you cannot bond with characters and therefore dislike the book, this only added to my enjoyment of The Secret History.

My review title summarises how much I enjoyed this book as it reminded me of two of my favourite books, Golding's Lord of the Flies and Siri Hustvedt's What I Loved, both of which have a decided under current (or at times not so under) of calculated human malice. The reference to Dead Poets' Society whilst perhaps less relevant is certainly still fitting given the teacher-student relationship and its sometimes unforeseeable consequences!

In summary, I loved this book for its excellent use of language, character development and cleverly written undercurrents of tension and malice. I would recommend this to anybody who likes to read good quality, slightly challenging writing.

Just Married Wedding Bunting
Just Married Wedding Bunting

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant value for money - Huge, 4 Aug. 2014
Absolutely brilliant value for money - Huge! I used it to decorate a friend's honeymoon suite and it stretched diagonally across a 4 poster bed. Was very happy with the quality and friend loved it.

1000 x Ivory Silk Rose Petals ~ Confetti ~ Table Scatter ~ FREE P&P
1000 x Ivory Silk Rose Petals ~ Confetti ~ Table Scatter ~ FREE P&P
Offered by Demarkt

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fine for what I wanted them for - decorating a ..., 4 Aug. 2014
Absolutely fine for what I wanted them for - decorating a honeymoon suite. Chose these over other similar products on amazon based on superior reviews and wasn't disappointed. In bulk they look great sprinkled on a bed etc. Definitely no bad smell as reported by other reviewers on other products. Only problem was that I don not think it is clear that these are being shipped from Hong Kong!! As a result they arrived 3+ weeks after I ordered them which was cutting it incredibly fine - they actually arrived as I was leaving for the event that I needed them for. This caused a fair bit of irritation/stress hence not a higher rating.

Lonely Planet Vietnam (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Vietnam (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

3.0 out of 5 stars some good some bad but just not as good as the old LPs, 18 Oct. 2012
I used this guide travelling around Vietnam this summer with a friend and have bullet pointed my thoughts for brevity:

The Good:

.LPs are still almost vital for getting practical information all in one place e.g. visas, border crossing, vague budget ideas, travel options.
. Still plenty of options for accommodation in all budget ranges.
. Some good restaurant suggestions (see also bad...!)
. Still good at helping you get off the super worn tourist path but this was not as easy as I expected in Vietnam (nothing to do with the LP just an observation).

The Bad:

.Everything is a must see (and they really are not). LPs still seem to cater solely to the around the world wanderer with 3 years to kill. They're not so good when you have 3 weeks and really want to know what the MUST sees are. For this I would suggest a Frommer's guide (yes they are more upmarket but you don't have to stay in their recommended hotels)as they managed to rate sites a lot better and really allowed us to whittle down our list.
. The new format. If you are used to the old LP set up then these new ones are frustrating. Information is not in the same places or is non existent (self-catering info has all but disappeared - annoying!)I would recommend using flags to label pages with e.g. visa, border etc info as these pages can be in totally random places that seem to bear no relevance to the information next to them...
. Danger is everywhere. I'm a pretty cautious traveller, I watch my bag and lock up my stuff when leaving it in a hotel room but this LP would have you believe you were going to get mugged or ripped off at every corner. Bit of a downer pre-trip really and not our experience at all.
. Ho Chi Minch restaurant suggestions - well one in particular. "if you were asked where you spent your last night in Saigon this should be the answer" (can't remember the name but read that line and run) this restaurant is baaaaaad. Weird surroundings, weird staff, weird food... go somewhere else!

The ugly:

. LP maps - yup they've got no better! Still better (in my experience) than Rough Guides and Frommers though... good luck!

Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for general research but not detail, 24 Feb. 2012
I am a big LP fan (I definitely prefer them to Rough Guides) and this book is up to LP standards. AS with other LP multi-country guides (e.g. Guide to the Middle East) this book is great for starting off your country by country research, giving you an idea of the key places to visit, guide to costs, travel times/distances etc. I won't, however, be using this guide to help me travel whilst in the countries for the main reason that the "Getting to and from" sections that LP readers will be familiar with are either lacking in detail or just lacking all together! The information on more remote sites is also limited (major sites like Angkor Wat/major cities have plenty of detail).

I would definitely recommend this guide as a start to your travel research OR as a travel guide if you only intend to visit the major sites in each country and have your travel organised for you but I wouldn't recommend relying on this guide for more extensive travel once in V,C, L and NT. Invest in this book but also buy the single LP country guides, they will give you the detail you need to organise your travels once in the countries.

Page: 1 | 2